Kozuka will skate for Quali | Golden Skate

Kozuka will skate for Quali

genki

On the Ice
didnt we know that since japanese nationals and the 4cc assignments?

No. According to the article, the result of the 4cc was taken into consideration.
This official announcement was made on 23rd.

seniorita

Record Breaker
No. According to the article, the result of the 4cc was taken into consideration.
This official announcement was made on 23rd.
I m 1000% sure that we had talked about it A LOT, qualification round is not for the Japanese Federation to decide or take into concideration, since Dai and Kozu were assigned to 4cc, regardless of the result in 4cc, the moment Dai would step his foot for the lp in 4cc and if he wasnt something like 24th, Kozu would be the third ranked japanese skater from the points they get and would have to skate in Q round at worlds acording to Isu.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I m 1000% sure that we had talked about it A LOT, qualification round is not for the Japanese Federation to decide or take into concideration, since Dai and Kozu were assigned to 4cc, regardless of the result in 4cc, the moment Dai would step his foot for the lp in 4cc and if he wasnt something like 24th, Kozu would be the third ranked japanese skater from the points they get and would have to skate in Q round at worlds acording to Isu.

Yes, all the intepretations of the rules, the facts and the numbers all led to the conclusion of Kozuka being the one to skate the qualification round. But the Federation couldn't make an official announcement until the numbers are officially complete after the 4CC, after confirmation that Takahashi didn't skate to be 24th. N'est-ce pas?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can see why the ISU would want it to be their ranking that determines who skates it. Otherwise, the federation could choose to have the best or second best skater skate the qr, so they would be bound to make it through, thus assuring a better chance of not having to have anyone qualify the next year.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Whether someone skates in the qualifications is solely determined by the ISU world ranking. Japan only has two berths in men's that allow them to skip quals. Their lowest ranked male skater must skate in qualifying. And that skater is Kozuka. I think according to the math someone crunched, as long as Daisuke competed at 4cc he'd remain ahead of Kozuka.

Potentially, a federation can game this by not sending a skater to a competition. But why go to such absurd lengths over something as minor as whether their skaters have to skate their FS one more time?

Using the ISU world ranking for some other purposes may be problematic, because the rankings used to favor European skaters (due to the abundance of figure skating competitions on the continent). I don't know if that's still true. Regardless, the use of the ranking here only compares skaters from the same country. Although one can still make the case that the rankings aren't very sensitive towards recent change in that season. For instance, in the ISU seasonal rankings for the current season, Kozuka is way above Oda.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, it is still true. There are no Senior B's in Asia or North America this year. However, that situation is the same for all Japanese skaters, for example, so it doesn't favor Oda over Kozuka.

ivy

On the Ice
Although one can still make the case that the rankings aren't very sensitive towards recent change in that season. For instance, in the ISU seasonal rankings for the current season, Kozuka is way above Oda.

I do think it's a problem the way that rankings don't keep up with current skating levels.

Earlier this week Evan was co hosting a local TV chat show in the twin cities - played wii skating with the regular hosts etc, promoted SOI. He apparently is the #1 ranked men's skater in ISU ranking - (I know I should check but I'm too lazy). That's crazy - he hasn't skated for a year!

Re Kozuka skating Q round - it doesn't seem that big of a deal since points don't carry forward - one more run through before the competition - but on center ice.
Does it affect start order for the SP

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Earlier this week Evan was co hosting a local TV chat show in the twin cities - played wii skating with the regular hosts etc, promoted SOI. He apparently is the #1 ranked men's skater in ISU ranking - (I know I should check but I'm too lazy). That's crazy - he hasn't skated for a year!

If it happened this week, then they were wrong! When Daisuke won 4cc last Saturday, he climbed over Evan in the World rankings immediately.

For all those people who think one extra FS competition a day before doesn't matter, it does! Very much so. A competition takes a lot more time than just the 4 and a half minutes on ice. You have to be in costume, show up ahead of time, wait for results after, travel to and from the arena. This is all time you could be practicing or resting or getting over your jet lag. It's half a day gone right there. It also takes mental energy, it drains up your adrenaline reserves, possibly. It is in no way irrelevant. It is definitely not in any way a bonus for skaters to have to do qualifications.