Whom Do You See on the Worlds Podium? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Whom Do You See on the Worlds Podium?

It's a stupid description of Chan. Sounds like something that might have originated with Aunt Joyce, he of the sharp eyes and evil tongue... but that's just a guess.

prettykeys

Medalist
Ooh, I would love it if the Shibutanis podium'd. :p

OK, here are my predictions:
Ladies: Miki, Mao, YuNa
Men: Daisuke, Mr. Bright Eyes (;)), Takahiko
Pairs: Dunno
Dance: Davis/White are all I know who are guaranteed

Patrick appears to have a slight paralysis in the right superior rectus, with the effect that his right eye does not move upward in concert with his left, when he looks to the right.

This's why he looks so sexy.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dude, you basically called me a bully when I pointed out that other skaters were graded similarly according to the same rules (aka, not massive Skate Canada corruption) and now are rooting for Kostner over in ladies...

Name one competition, or medal even, that Kostner has won with 4 falls in one event.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Davis/White won Gold at 2010 Skate America after a total of 4 falls, 3 in the FS.

Davis/White had the 2 falls deduction in their FD, that is all. Chan stands as the only person I've ever seen on any level of skating who won any kind of event when he fell 4 times in one competition.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Davis/White had the 2 falls deduction in their FD, that is all. Chan stands as the only person I've ever seen on any level of skating who won any kind of event when he fell 4 times in one competition.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa2010/SEG008.HTM

Deductions = -3.00 for the FS, same as having 3 falls in the FS in Singles, yet, I didn't see you on rampage claiming the same "murders" that you did after Chan won.

I think one of Davis and White's deductions in the free dance was for an extended lift, not a fall.

I don't believe that they fell or had any deductions in the short dance.

(Carolina Kostner had one fall in the long, but I guess this thread has turned from Kostner to Davis and White. :) )

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
US fans have to be interested in Patrick. Since he started training at the Broadmoor, there's been some interesting cross-culturalism going on. Nothing unpredictable had come out the Broadmoor for years. Now suddenly PChiddy has a quad! Ryan Bradley has a triple axel and is skating faster. The two of them are in a beard growing contest for Worlds. Rachael Flatt is skating her SP faster.

I'm not sure if it's learn by watching or whether there's some teaching going on, but the results are interesting.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

He was also the only one at that competition to have landed a beautiful quad and fully rotated another one. He was also lucky his main competitor was none other than Oda, who, as usual, kindly handed over the gold after leading the SP. However, Oda was not playing favoritism as he is an equal opportunity conceder. That was Chan's only win with 4 falls, in a minor event, debuting 2 quads. He did enough to win. At the showdown of champions at the GPF, he again did enough to win, with two clean programs and two quads. Others had multiple falls.

One can also argue D/W's falls are more inexcusable. They were not attempting any jump at all. Falls in elite Ice Dancing are extremely rare whereas splatfests are common in all other disciplines.

How many falls does a skater usually have before they can perform multiple gorgeous quads in competitions like Chan is doing? Most of them spread far more than 8 falls over several years and never get to Chan's level.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
US fans have to be interested in Patrick. Since he started training at the Broadmoor, there's been some interesting cross-culturalism going on. Nothing unpredictable had come out the Broadmoor for years. Now suddenly PChiddy has a quad! Ryan Bradley has a triple axel and is skating faster. The two of them are in a beard growing contest for Worlds. Rachael Flatt is skating her SP faster.

I'm not sure if it's learn by watching or whether there's some teaching going on, but the results are interesting.

Patrick Chan trains in Colorado Springs because of Christi Krall and he has expressed gratitude for her taking him in when she had been coaching part time. He was immediately welcomed there and has inspired many skaters training there as expressed in various interviews. He enjoys the social atmosphere after the lonely experiences in Florida, and appreciates the benefit of high altitude training, as exhibited in his incredible stamina in the execution of his LP.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan trains in Colorado Springs because of Christi Krall and he has expressed gratitude for her taking him in when she had been coaching part time. He was immediately welcomed there and has inspired many skaters training there as expressed in various interviews. He enjoys the social atmosphere after the lonely experiences in Florida, and appreciates the benefit of high altitude training, as exhibited in his incredible stamina in the execution of his LP.

He's also took from a dance instructor there who is known for her work with Jeremy Abbott.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He's also took from a dance instructor there who is known for her work with Jeremy Abbott.

Yes, I wrote about that before, particularly when explaining his advantages over other skaters, including having Krall as a coach who has no qualms getting him extra expertise and mentors as necessary. Patrick was a very quick study with Kathy Johnson. He watched a video of Rudolf Nureyev, and landed 3 quads out of 3 the next day.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Name one competition, or medal even, that Kostner has won with 4 falls in one event.

I cannot and my dig was a little specious. That said, my point was a more general one.

a) It's rather telling that there is someone who doesn't think Chan will make the podium even if he skates his best. This, when you contextualize it with the early season belly-aching, is amusing.

b) As for whether I can "blame you" or not, again, context provides the answer. Divorced from context, not really. I can't imagine anyone, including Patrick Chan himself, was truly satisfied with his performance at Skate Canada. I can't imagine people thinking that what occured there (a four fall champion) was a good thing for the sport. But contextually, when your comment to an out of body skate at Nationals is "Why did he choose to peak at Nationals of all places where he could have fallen 6 times and still won?" ... well, you tell me.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Patrick appears to have a slight paralysis in the right superior rectus, with the effect that his right eye does not move upward in concert with his left, when he looks to the right.

This's why he looks so sexy.

Oh yeah, I knew there was something wrong with his eyes. I would never have called it 'dead eyes' though. I saw a feature on him during the Vancouver Olympics that said before he had some sort of surgery, he had ot sit in a chair and spin before his performances to get his vision straight. It's especially remarkable that he competed so well with that problem.

Chan had 4 falls in his competition at SC, but he still won it on the basis of Skating Ability. If one takes Skating Ability literally, isn't that sentence an oxymoron? How can a skater have much ability if he Falls 4 times?

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's a mountain of a mole hill. That was Skate Canada. He will not win worlds if he falls four times. He hasn't been able to win worlds YET and that's with fewer falls. I don't think he'll fall four times though.

and Pogue: I agree. If Patrick were really content with a four-fall competition and thought he could win that way he wouldn't have fought so hard and his own nationals. Patrick knows he can't beat Daisuke or several other guys by falling all over the place at worlds.