What should Chock & Zuerlein skate to next season? | Golden Skate

What should Chock & Zuerlein skate to next season?

cornell08

Final Flight
As much as I liked Cabaret this season (and as underappreciated as i found it to be), I'd like to see them in something more reminiscent of their Phantom of the Opera program from when they won junior worlds. I think of all the current American ice dance teams, they have the most chemistry in terms of being able to sell romantic or raunchy programs-- they just need to up their element levels. If next year's SD is indeed a rhumba or chacha I see them having an advantage over the Shibutanis and D/W, as the latter two aren't great at 'sizzling.'

I would LOVE for their FD to be to 'Gigi'! In my eyes Madison IS Gigi and Greg would make a fantastic Gaston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iPnd9TpG1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unV540b4w1I&feature=related

Last edited:
When they were skating as juniors, my reaction to Madison's "sizzle" was always. "What are this child's parents thinking of, letting her cavort around like that?"

(Actually, I had the same reaction to "Gigi.") :laugh:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Madison needs a new partner to be honest. She's a diva in training and he's holding her back i think.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When they were skating as juniors, my reaction to Madison's "sizzle" was always. "What are this child's parents thinking of, letting her cavort around like that?"

(Actually, I had the same reaction to "Gigi.") :laugh:

Yes, the idea of a schoolgirl (courtesan in training or not) with a significantly older man is not nearly as acceptable as it was when GiGi won a bunch of Academy Awards in 1958. Perhaps this is why we haven't seen a remake of Gigi, and why ice dancers likely won't use it .

In the 1940's and 1950's, 13 year old Loretta (then Lynn) could marry Oliver "Doolittle" Lynn, and Jerry Lee Lewis ("Great Balls of Fire") at 23 could marry his 13 year old cousin once removed Mabel Brown (Lewis's PR team claimed it was OK because she was 15, which she was not). These days school girls dallying with older men is reason to call the police, not commemorate it with a musical.

Nowadays we only allow that sort of thing in Novice Pairs ;)

A French theme would be good for Maddy & Gregg though, especially with Worlds in Nice, France. They did such a great job with Piaf's songs in the SD this year :love: as well as Caberet.

How about Amelie?

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
I think Madison needs a new partner to be honest. She's a diva in training and he's holding her back i think.

Greg is a very good skater but he needs to be in "character" so he can lose himself in that character which is why I think Cabaret has worked for them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
KKonas, I agreee with that--which is why it's important to pick appealing music where Greg has a character he can relate to.

Borne and Kraatz were a successful team where the lady stole the show, but the man had the technique to provide the proper frame.

Chait and Saknovski, on the other hand -- it was the man who was the peacock. IMHO.

pista04

On the Ice
I loved their 2009 Programs, like at Worlds, but...I am not too much of a fan of these big character programs. I'll admit: Greg doesn't have the typical look, but if anything they look very modern. Why not take it to the next step?

I know it would be a huge thing to ask, but I would kill to see them take popular music and make some mixes and see what they can do. If Jennifer Lopez can be used effectively, as well as the Dixie Chicks, why not see them skate to a beautiful mix of Adele? See a young, struggling love. Or, why not some OneRepublic? Maybe I am just eager to see them go where no one has gone. =]

Adele's Someone Like You (along with a small story behind it)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's the truth.

Now, Margaglio did a really good Dracula, the one program where he stole the show from Fusar-Poli.

I wonder whether Greg would like to do Dracula? The pale skin/dark hair works very well, and that's a role he might get into.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Someone Like You destroys me and it would be good for skating, but for an exhibition rather than a competitive program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder whether Greg would like to do Dracula? The pale skin/dark hair works very well, and that's a role he might get into.

I have a feeling the only vampires we'll see in the next few years will be Twilight inspired.

which is probably better for skating anyway considering Twilight's characters all sparkle.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I have a feeling the only vampires we'll see in the next few years will be Twilight inspired.

which is probably better for skating anyway considering Twilight's characters all sparkle.

The only teams in skating whom I can see doing Twilight are Virtue and Moir, since she looks like Bella.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
They do have the potential to do a sexy rumba, but I agree that she would be the one selling it. He has very little presence on the ice (although the character piece of the Cabaret actor helped a lot). I think they do need a very powerful, dramatic POTO-like concept for the freeskate to make everyone look up and take notice. Maybe Tristian and Isolde or something in that frame.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:eek:blue dog..bite your tongue ! Tessa and Scott have far too much taste to ever do anything to do with Twilight... and I hope C/Z would too.:biggrin: Tessa looks like Tessa...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I like character pieces for them. Something brassy like On the Twentieth Century (the 1934 movie it's based on starred John Barrymore and Carole Lombarde; the 70's musical I'm referring to had John Cullum and Madelina Kahn) would be marvelous and give Greg the chance to shine.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
For anybody who knows Broadway, I have always thought that the music from Sondheim's "Sunday in the Park with George" would be perfect for ice dance. I think Madison and Greg could pull this off wonderfully because the characters are so strong, yet the music is also romantic and artistic.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I was thinking about Sondheim (though I was leaning towards "Company"). The problem with SitPwG (which is my favourite musical ever.... the DVD renders me a blubbering mess) is that the main musical climax ("Sunday") is too much of a slow build, so editing wrecks the emotional high, but the piece on it's own is too static (for lack of a better word) for a program. Maybe a medley w/ "Putting it Together" as the centerpiece?

Continuing in the musical vein, I yearn to see a show program to "How Glory Goes" from Floyd Collins.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I was thinking about Sondheim (though I was leaning towards "Company"). The problem with SitPwG (which is my favourite musical ever.... the DVD renders me a blubbering mess) is that the main musical climax ("Sunday") is too much of a slow build, so editing wrecks the emotional high, but the piece on it's own is too static (for lack of a better word) for a program. Maybe a medley w/ "Putting it Together" as the centerpiece?

Continuing in the musical vein, I yearn to see a show program to "How Glory Goes" from Floyd Collins.

I think the musical intricacies of "Color and Light" could be great for footwork sequences. "We Do Not Belong Together" and "Move On" are also great emotional highlights that could be utilized. Sunday is also my favorite musical by the way.

Company could also work. A Little Night Music could be great, though I see it more as a short dance and since it is written in waltz tempo, it would've been great for this season with the Golden Waltz.

I can see Floyd Collins working well. I also love The Light In The Piazza and I can actually see it working quite well for ice dance, though I can picture that on Weaver & Poje or Lichtman & Copely perhaps.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
:eek:blue dog..bite your tongue ! Tessa and Scott have far too much taste to ever do anything to do with Twilight... and I hope C/Z would too.:biggrin: Tessa looks like Tessa...

Taste? This is ice dancing. This is where tastefulness comes to die and then have its skin flayed and made into a Galiano coat worn by Sarah Palin in a Burger King commercial directed by Michael Bay. It's an awful/awesome spectacle. And if you aren't gulping in sequins and cheese with endless o-faces you're not in it to win. I can see it already: Tessa gasps/moans as she succumbs to the bestial lust of vampire king Scott Moir.