Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Junior Men's SP - Robin Hood Steals the Show

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Keegan's axel is awesome! At Nationals it was huge!!!

btw, Keegan's SP is a very interesting program to watch, and if you have only seen his LP, I recommend that you take a look at it.
    Doris, I'd love to see it, but where?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Joe, the link is on the previous page. (Thanks, DeMarinis5.) Also if you subscribe to Ice Network, Keegan is the first to skate in the Men's SP at 22:45 where he scored 69.79. The video quality and camera angles are better there and the program comes off much more powerfully, IMO.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The footwork definitely looks more Robin Hood-ish if you have the right camera angle.

(icenetwork).

I've got to admit, I liked the previous costume better for the Hulk.

Jason's SP is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfoyMs1VPA
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-03-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    It's nice to see a Canuck and a Swede in the Top 4 (and coincidentally, both Rogozine and Majorov are Russian-born).

Very nice skate from Jason Brown. I don't understand his low PC's tho. I agree with the TES because he does not have the 3A.
    5's in his PC score seems pretty low to me.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I second the idea that Jason's PCS were seriously lowballed. His interpretation was astounding. I've never seen someone capture that slavic folk dance vibe so well outside of ice dancing. He is obviously very flexible, but also strong and aware of where and how to place every part of his body. His skating skills are excellent. His PCS is ranked 9th among the skaters here. ANd unless there are a few Takahashi and Chan level skaters ahead of him, I don't see how that's possible.

^ Maybe they don't like is ponytail. Seriously, I agree 100% with your post.

Custom Title
    Hopefully when Jason gets the 3axel he can start kicking some butt. His overall skills are already great.

Custom Title
    Nice to see all three Americans in the top 10 going into the FS - too bad Jason isn't one place higher - they'd all be in the last flight!

I also agree Jason's PCS seem low - I mean all level 4 spins - how often do you see that in the Sr's? That should be worth a bump in Skating Skills! I never would have guessed his place would be based more on his TES rather then his PCS.

On to the Free Skate lads!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The footwork definitely looks more Robin Hood-ish if you have the right camera angle.

(icenetwork).

I've got to admit, I liked the previous costume better for the Hulk.

Jason's SP is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfoyMs1VPA
    Thank you for the link, Doris.

What is so special for me about his skating is that:

1. He doesn't emphasize the tricks beforehand. He just does them as part of the steps in his program. (we'll have to see that 3A one day to see if he spends so much time in preparation.)

2. His speed is no huff and puff and his basics are superb. (he may give Chan a run on SS in Sochi.)

3. His musicality is second to none. Every beat and swell are well taken care of.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Now that we've seen his SP, I can officially declare Jason Brown wuzrobbed :P

As far as the American men goes, Messing is talented, but Brown is just amazing. I'm just so in love with his skating. His style sort of reminds me of Matt Savoie, but he is of course a more extroverted skater compared to Matt. Both have such intrinsic musicality and solid basics. The maturity and flair he has at barely 16 is incredible. I am just so happy that there's a skater I can get this excited about and I really, really can't wait to see him develop.
    Last edited by shine; 03-03-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I will preface this by saying at least Jason's underscoring isn't that bad. His PCS is still 9th out of 30, and even a PCS as high as the highest one (the one Keegan got) would only leave Jason in 6th place instead of 7th. That said...

It seems a lot of times even when it's dead obvious to all that a skater new on the scene deserves great PCS, it takes a while for the judges to catch up. I wonder why that is. Do they need to go back to some secret judges' cabal and talk this over a few times before they can agree to give those points? Why does a skater have to be established in a particular competitive milieu before s/he earns respect? There will always be new kids on a scene, and they deserve to be scored fairly too. These athletes have finite competitive careers. You can't know that they have time to eventually get their rightful placement. This could be Jason's last junior Worlds. And a few points could be the difference between whether he ever gets a junior world medal.

And the ISU absolutely can fix this. They prodded and spanked judges until judges gave out transition marks that more closely reflected what's actually skated, and it really worked. If they tried, they absolutely could give memos and seminars and reminders until judges stopped deferring to the familiar.

Custom Title
    Looking through the top skaters score sheets I was surprised as how close the PCS were. I would have guessed it to be more divergent then in Sr's - rather then less so - since these skaters are still developing and you'd expect them to develop in different areas at different rates. To be fair I've only watched a few of the programs, I'll get around to more eventually. Maybe the cleanness of the programs creates closer scores

I did wonder when looking at Jason's scores if his held back by being somewhat unknown and with an unknown coach too. If that's the case the ISU should be talking to Serious Business to get their act together!

On the Ice

On the Ice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast