Ladies SP-Courtney Hicks up first | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP-Courtney Hicks up first

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Just watched the Ladies. Wonderful skating from the top three, Adelina, Elizaveta and Christina.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I thought Li Zijun did great. She had good jumps, beautiful spins, and really good expression. I love her footwork too! Her score probably could have been a bit higher, even without a 3-3.

composer

On the Ice
This was my first time watching the Russian babies, I was wowed. I especially enjoyed Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's program.

And was it me or did she do her double axel with her hand over her head? Does that jump have a name?

oleada

Record Breaker
Same jump. It's a difficult variation made famous by Brian Boitano - hence its name. What Liza did would be a 2 Axel 'Tano.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
One thing about the Russian skater and Russian Ladies included, is that they show great technique. It's so nice, at least for me, to see Correct edge take offs for the Lutz. It shows that it can be done, and there is no need for the new idea of partial credit.

There's too much RUSH to get the credit for all the Jumps allowed even partial credit. The only way to get to Carnegie Hall is to practice, practice, practice. CoP has it's dumb points. Partial Credit promotes sloppy technique and therefore,sloppy skating.

Does this mean that Adelina has fixed her flutz? I know she didn't get an edge call in this event (but that doesn't necessarily mean anything since she didn't get called at the JGPF for a rather obvious flutz done right in front of me.) Call me skeptical since you don't usually fix a habitual flutz for good in just a couple of months. I haven't had an opportunity to watch the videos of anybody of this event yet.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
Watching the men's free skate. Unfortunately, live stream is playing up again. Going back to yesterdays ladies SP, Adelina's score was not as high as expected because she under-rotated the toe-loop part of her triple triple combination (no flutz). Elizaveta executed her triple triple combination perfectly. Nevertheless, Adelina took the lead (just - by 0.91 points) because she got level 4's on all 3 of her spins, whereas Elizaveta only got one level 4 for hers. Both performances were fantastic - way ahead of the rest of the field.

3Lz+3Lo

Spectator
I watched some of the skaters just now.
The Russian girls are incrediblly awesome...
It was my first time watching the Juniors, but I really should watch them more often:)
I'm also happy that Miyabi Oba did a good, solid performance!!;)

hanaYuki

Spectator
I thought Li Zijun did great. She had good jumps, beautiful spins, and really good expression. I love her footwork too! Her score probably could have been a bit higher, even without a 3-3.
quite agree!zijun is lovely deserve more pcs in my opinion. but she should improve her ss maybe.

hughgraham2

Spectator
alexandra najarro

I am so disappointed Alexandra Najarro didn't qualify for the long. She is a beautiful skater. I am mystified by why she changed her short program and tried a triple loop. She landed a clean triple flip in her short at Nationals and the Eastern Challenge, and she has never once landed a loop in competition. She is much better than the 25th place suggests. I hope she is able to bounce back from this setback.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I am so disappointed Alexandra Najarro didn't qualify for the long. She is a beautiful skater. I am mystified by why she changed her short program and tried a triple loop. She landed a clean triple flip in her short at Nationals and the Eastern Challenge, and she has never once landed a loop in competition. She is much better than the 25th place suggests. I hope she is able to bounce back from this setback.

Because it's a required solo jump in the SP in juniors this season, although she could've done a double too.

In junior ISU competitions, there are very specific required elements in the short. A specific solo double or triple jump, a specific flying spin and a specific spin with one change of foot for the men. In seniors there are less restrictions.

Alexandra should be happy to know next season's required solo jump is the flip, if she's stays in juniors.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
I fnd Najarro's skating quite pleasant, but her and Grenier's failure here is really symptomatic of a larger problem in Canadian ladies. Regardless of what the solo jump is , very few of the juniors have a 3Lo, 3F or 3Lz. The junior champion didn't land anything beyond a 3T. I don't know enough about Canadian skating at the lower levels to know why this is (I've heard lack of final rounds being mentioned more than once), but my opinion while watching Canadian nationals was that the ladies seemed comfortable just doing a 3T and 3S, because there was no reason to go for anything else. Additionally, very few had impressive non jump elements or presentation - competent, but no wow factor.

hughgraham2

Spectator
najarro

Thanks for explaining that to me. I was wondering why she chose the loop. Seems like a crazy rule to me, especially for juniors. There are some jumps even the best senior skaters never master. Yu Na Kim -- she rarely attempts the loop right? Mao Asada last year didn't do lutz or salchow didn't she? Carolina Kostner is the European champion and she hasn't been doing flips or lutzes all season. And I think Alissa Czisny doesn't do a salchow in her program. Alexandra would have been better doing the double. Nicole Schott did a double and was 15th. And considering the protocols of a few of the others above Alexandra it seems like she got a raw deal. Maybe bc she was so early to skate.

hughgraham2

Spectator
I fnd Najarro's skating quite pleasant, but her and Grenier's failure here is really symptomatic of a larger problem in Canadian ladies. Regardless of what the solo jump is , very few of the juniors have a 3Lo, 3F or 3Lz. The junior champion didn't land anything beyond a 3T. I don't know enough about Canadian skating at the lower levels to know why this is (I've heard lack of final rounds being mentioned more than once), but my opinion while watching Canadian nationals was that the ladies seemed comfortable just doing a 3T and 3S, because there was no reason to go for anything else. Additionally, very few had impressive non jump elements or presentation - competent, but no wow factor.

Thanks Oleada, just saw your post. I agree, Canadian ladies seem to have a lower standard than other countries like the US, Japan, Russia -- maybe because of a lower population to begin with, but then there are lots of successful Canadian men with good technical. I don't understand what you mean by lack of final rounds. But you're right, watching the Canadians you're struck by few difficult jumps and lots of falls when they do try them. Joannie was an exception, not the rule. I do think Alexandra has much nicer presentation than many of the ladies. I thought she has a grace, flow and elegance, and hit some nice positions, but still needs to reach full maturity.

prettykeys

Medalist
Thanks for explaining that to me. I was wondering why she chose the loop. Seems like a crazy rule to me, especially for juniors. There are some jumps even the best senior skaters never master. Yu Na Kim -- she rarely attempts the loop right? Mao Asada last year didn't do lutz or salchow didn't she? Carolina Kostner is the European champion and she hasn't been doing flips or lutzes all season. And I think Alissa Czisny doesn't do a salchow in her program.
On the contrary, I'd think it's even more important for the Juniors to have that rule since that's the time for them to be learning. Those Seniors had to skate under the same rules, too, when they were Juniors. Kim can do a 3Lo, Asada can do a 3S, Kostner has shown she can do flips and lutzes. If the rules for Juniors hadn't been in place, who knows if they would have been more limited.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by hughgraham2
Thanks for explaining that to me. I was wondering why she chose the loop. Seems like a crazy rule to me, especially for juniors. There are some jumps even the best senior skaters never master. Yu Na Kim -- she rarely attempts the loop right? Mao Asada last year didn't do lutz or salchow didn't she? Carolina Kostner is the European champion and she hasn't been doing flips or lutzes all season. And I think Alissa Czisny doesn't do a salchow in her program.

Thats all the more reason to encourage all the jumps. However, I must say its rather unfair to compare Kostner 3lutz and 3flip to Asada and Kim's 3sal and 3loop woes. Kostner is injured and is probably past her prime. But for a lot of years Kostner did do 3lutzs and 3flips, and she's even landing numerous gorgeous 3flip/3toes in her prime. And most people don't find Kostners current success with Katerina Witt like content programs to be a great thing. The 3toe, 3sal European Champion days are coming to end very soon if the Russian Wonder babies have their say.

As for Yu-na, she managed to win a Junior World Silver medal and a Junior Grand Prix Silver medal, in the year the loop was the required jump. Although she messed it up in the short at Junior worlds and didn't attempt it in the long, Kim landed quite a few 3loops as a Junior. If your missing a jump you need other things to make up for it.