Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP-Courtney Hicks up first

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Courtney's last combo spin was stunning - camel into "Yu Na spin" (name?) into a weird but cool catchfoot position and then sliding it down into a sit position:

But she's no Sasha Cohen!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFF_6...tailpage#t=90s
    It looks like that, right?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Yeah but more. Courtney's has many more variations. What I described was just part of the spin!

ETA: Nadine is going to go batty over Shelepen's Swan Lake. I've been holding off on these Russian girls but my goodness, they're all exquisite. It's like a ballet company with three rival primas. Wow.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 03-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Courtney's last combo spin was stunning - camel into "Yu Na spin" (name?) into a weird but cool catchfoot position and then sliding it down into a sit position:
    Caroline Zhang did this position looong ago, but she didn't come down into a sit spin like Hicks does. Watch 1.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5j1zAIn1Wc
    It's nice to see something new

BTW, Zawadzki's 3Lo looked obviously UR on the replay and most judges noticed it and gave her -GOE, but the tech. caller gave her full gredit for that

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    BTW, Zawadzki's 3Lo looked obviously UR on the replay and most judges noticed it and gave her -GOE, but the tech. caller gave her full gredit for that
    Horrors! and the Tech Panel did not catch it, but you did?

Custom Title

But she's no Sasha Cohen!
    Your right she isn't Sasha. She didn't fall on her butt.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Horrors! and the Tech Panel did not catch it, but you did?
    Watch the replay, it was obvious

I don't remember seeing so many 3-3s at Jr worlds. The russian girls are just so incredibly talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    She also wasn't stunningly brilliant and her program wasn't memorable. But that was a great spin!

(BTW, in case it wasn't obvious, I made the comment because she wore a Sasha costume and used music from one of Sasha's most popular programs. That's inviting the comparison.)
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 03-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    The level of competition was quite high; I was impressed. Most girls tried 3Lo, and we saw many 3+3 combos.
    From Doris' List, I thought they were all competitive and they all looked the same. I do like their competitiveness, but ho hum on their performances. Not much variety here. Maybe Agnes with a blues number, but it could be better. The others were all ballerina-like.

Custom Title
    Awesome. Looking forward to watching it (currently at work).

As for the "Yu-Na spin", it's called a bent-leg layover, dubbed the "Kerrigan camel" in the 90s when Nancy popularized it. The "Yu-Na spin" moniker originated in YouTube when ubers started claiming that she invented the spin, later spilling over into Wikipedia where they chose to "prove" their point by changing all mentions of the bent-leg layover to the "Yu-Na spin"/"Yu-Na camel" (which naturally perpetuated the notion that Yu-Na invented it). Moderators and other figure skating fans have since toned it down to reasonable levels.

Premptive note to Yu-Na fans: I'm not saying that all Yu-Na fans are ubers, nor am I anti-Yu-Na. In fact, I think that she did contribute to re-popularizing the spin in her 2007-08 Miss Saigon FS where she goes into the bent-leg layover in perfect timing with the music. I just get frustrated when people unknowledgeable about the sport (again, not all Yu-Na fans, just these ones in particular) start making unfounded claims about a skater that they support mostly due to nationalistic tendencies, and then proceed to go to great lengths to prove their point.

Custom Title
    Shelepen is different than in the past, growing up is helping her.

She already has a graceful body that can be ballerina, she could be great if she is more polish and connect more with the music.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'll try to roll up the videos I know about so far:

Adelina Sotnikova SP
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ice888ic.../0/ejbSMgHt-ow
    Very good competitive. Her definition type skating is all there. Performance, I liked she was clean.

Polina Shelepen SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_Kc3W_PFc polina
    Haven't seen the link yet. Hopefully soon.

Very surprised she used a Blues Number. She managed it, and with those high jumps had a very good skate.

Standared - didn't grab me as a versatile skater would have.

Still have to watch - no comment now.

A beautiful figure skating performance, and not trying to be a ballerina. Old man Nicks should be proud.

Yuki Nishino SP
    Very reministent of Miki Ando. She may become Japan's best after the others leave.

I could not find anything yet for Gao or Tuktamisheva
    I would love to see these two, but thanks Doris for the others.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 03-04-2011 at 12:39 PM.

^^^ Good to know, Serpentine Steps. Thanks for the history!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Um, this is the short program, not the free skate. Sasha was clean in the short nearly everytime. Courtney has nice jumps and a cool spin, but she lacks lacks Sasha's polish and look at me quality. I'd like to see her improve her skating skills and presentation.

Sasha's Malaguena and Dark Eyes are two of my favorite SPs of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Um, this is the short program, not the free skate. Sasha was clean in the short nearly everytime. Courtney has nice jumps and a cool spin, but she lacks lacks Sasha's polish and look at me quality. I'd like to see her improve her skating skills and presentation.
    Voila.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast