Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP-Courtney Hicks up first

Custom Title
    Okay the Russians girls are good but this Adelina Sotnikova is only 14 right? And tiny. Before anyone crowns her the next Olympic champion it should be mentioned that most likely she still has a growth spurt in her future. If she grows another three four inches who's the say she won't go the way of so many other promising skaters? Until a skater gets to be about 16 and can still jump and improve i don't get excited no matter how good they look on the ice. The same goes for Tuktamysheva who is even younger.

Medalist

Custom Title
    Adelina actually grew a lot last season, which is why she really struggled last year with her jumps and finished off the podium at Russian Nats. I believe she is about the same height as Leonova. She' thin, but height wise, she's not tiny. She probably has some growing left to do, but the fact that she's grown already and her jumps are better than they used to be is encouraging.

Custom Title
    A lot of potential there with Hicks and her spins and jumps. She just needs polish but she's in good hands with John Nicks. She seems to be a good competitor too which is something refreshing what with all the headcases in US Seniors right now.

Custom Title
    I'm no Sasha fans but I clearly recognize her gifts and fall or not people still want to skate like her. Of course they want to skate like Michelle more...

I agree Jammers. Right now I just hope that Adelina will still have that potential when the Olympics come around because she's pretty awesome right now. I just have to remember that she's 14 and the puberty monster ruin everything.
    Last edited by lavender; 03-04-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Custom Title
    The thing Adelina and Liza have going for them is that they have good skating skills and strong jump technique, unlike some teenage phenoms of the past (I.e. Caroline Zhang)

Custom Title
    Aww no Gao.

Great skating from all that I watch. Didn't watch Agnes. I would love to see Li and Gao.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I'm no Sasha fans but I clearly recognize her gifts and fall or not people still want to skate like her. Of course they want to skate like Michelle more...

I agree Jammers. Right now I just hope that Adelina will still have that potential when the Olympics come around because she's pretty awesome right now. I just have to remember that she's 14 and the puberty monster ruin everything.
    Of all the youngsters I like this Russian girl Adelina the most.
    Perhaps because stylistically like most of today's best emerging skaters she has so much in common with Sasha.

Kwan was wonderful and maybe the best lady skater of the 90's. But spins, positions and extensions have come a long way since SASHA first showed us the possibilties.

I see little doubt that Sasha was the most influential skater of the past decade and at this time it seems safe to say she is frequently copied but rarely equaled.

If Adelina survives growth spurts her beautiful, Sasha like style will set her apart from the others.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Uh, what? Modern figure skating as we know it was based on ballet from the start. There were skaters with great extension and lines before Sasha. Sasha may have been the apex of the balletic style on ice, but it's been the style for skaters to ape since the sports started. Sasha originated and popularized the i-spin. That's her biggest influence.

Being a Russian, Adelina has closer sources to inspire her ballet-apery than a foreign skater who stopped competing when Adelina was still a toddler.
    Last edited by Serious Business; 03-04-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Please tell us how balletic skaters from the past were. Maybe go back to Sonja

I am still waiting for any of the Russian wonderbabies to show something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIk7LskGqc

Or for that matter any lady skater
    As I said, often imitated and rarely equaled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Please tell us how balletic skaters from the past were.
    It behooves you to study the history of figure skating. Artistic skating was created when Jackson Haines did ballet moves on ice. Countless figure skating moves are derived directly from ballet. The spread eagle is the second position. Ina bauer the fourth. Split falling leafs came from grande jetes. The attitude position of the leg in laybacks and upright spins. The arabesque position where the ballet term is kept. Newer moves like arm positions in the tano lutz are an imitation of ballet. The emphasis on toe pointing came directly from ballet.

And no, Sasha did not invent any of these.

If you want past examples of balletic skaters look to Charlotte Oelschlagel, John Curry, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Oksana Baiul. Sasha is just one in a long line of balletic skaters. And skating has moved far beyond its ballet origins to the point where many other types of skaters can succeed.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Uh, what? Modern figure skating as we know it was based on ballet from the start. There were skaters with great extension and lines before Sasha. Sasha may have been the apex of the balletic style on ice, but it's been the style for skaters to ape since the sports started. Sasha originated and popularized the i-spin. That's her biggest influence.
    uhm...i'm not sure, i think Cohen brought in gymnastic more than ballet...

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    It behooves you to study the history of figure skating. Artistic skating was created when Jackson Haines did ballet moves on ice. Countless figure skating moves are derived directly from ballet. The spread eagle is the second position. Ina bauer the fourth. Split falling leafs came from grande jetes. The attitude position of the leg in laybacks and upright spins. The arabesque position where the ballet term is kept. Newer moves like arm positions in the tano lutz are an imitation of ballet. The emphasis on toe pointing came directly from ballet.

And no, Sasha did not invent any of these.

If you want past examples of balletic skaters look to Charlotte Oelschlagel, John Curry, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Oksana Baiul. Sasha is just one in a long line of balletic skaters. And skating has moved far beyond its ballet origins to the point where many other types of skaters can succeed.
    Thanks, was hoping you could come up with something more than common knowledge.

I never said Sasha's "balletic style" set her apart. You referenced that

But whether you agree or not, I still have never seen a skater with Sasha's beautiful positions and extensions. Some credit this to her gymnastics background along with her Dance training.

For me, "attitude" was a big part of Sasha's considerable package.
    Even at 14 she already had "it".

Quote Originally Posted by yunafan1860 View Post
    uhm...i'm not sure, i think Cohen brought in gymnastic more than ballet...
    I don't disagree with that either. She did start out as a gymnast.

However, even in gymnastics, the kind of aesthetics that emphasizes extension and pointed toes would still be called balletic (and is indeed also derived from ballet). Sasha's mother was a ballet dancer. If I had said Sasha was the apex of the gymnast on ice I think that would just conjure up images of Sasha doing back flips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Okay the Russians girls are good but this Adelina Sotnikova is only 14 right? And tiny. Before anyone crowns her the next Olympic champion it should be mentioned that most likely she still has a growth spurt in her future. If she grows another three four inches who's the say she won't go the way of so many other promising skaters? Until a skater gets to be about 16 and can still jump and improve i don't get excited no matter how good they look on the ice. The same goes for Tuktamysheva who is even younger.
    I agree with this. People get too excited about these young girls and then they fizzle out. Everyone was big on Zhang a few years ago, and also Meissner, who I know got a World Championship gold but was not around for as long as people were expecting. Even Nagasu didn't rise to a lot of people's expectations. Remember the Russian babies from 1996, not really seen or heard from shortly after.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast