Ladies SP-Courtney Hicks up first | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP-Courtney Hicks up first

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't remember seeing so many 3-3s at Jr worlds. The russian girls are just so incredibly talented.

Your right she isn't Sasha. She didn't fall on her butt.

She also wasn't stunningly brilliant and her program wasn't memorable. But that was a great spin!

(BTW, in case it wasn't obvious, I made the comment because she wore a Sasha costume and used music from one of Sasha's most popular programs. That's inviting the comparison.)

Last edited:
The level of competition was quite high; I was impressed. Most girls tried 3Lo, and we saw many 3+3 combos.
From Doris' List, I thought they were all competitive and they all looked the same. I do like their competitiveness, but ho hum on their performances. Not much variety here. Maybe Agnes with a blues number, but it could be better. The others were all ballerina-like.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Courtney's last combo spin was stunning - camel into "Yu Na spin" (name?) into a weird but cool catchfoot position and then sliding it down into a sit position: :eek:

Awesome. Looking forward to watching it (currently at work).

As for the "Yu-Na spin", it's called a bent-leg layover, dubbed the "Kerrigan camel" in the 90s when Nancy popularized it. The "Yu-Na spin" moniker originated in YouTube when ubers started claiming that she invented the spin, later spilling over into Wikipedia where they chose to "prove" their point by changing all mentions of the bent-leg layover to the "Yu-Na spin"/"Yu-Na camel" (which naturally perpetuated the notion that Yu-Na invented it). Moderators and other figure skating fans have since toned it down to reasonable levels.

Premptive note to Yu-Na fans: I'm not saying that all Yu-Na fans are ubers, nor am I anti-Yu-Na. In fact, I think that she did contribute to re-popularizing the spin in her 2007-08 Miss Saigon FS where she goes into the bent-leg layover in perfect timing with the music. I just get frustrated when people unknowledgeable about the sport (again, not all Yu-Na fans, just these ones in particular) start making unfounded claims about a skater that they support mostly due to nationalistic tendencies, and then proceed to go to great lengths to prove their point.

treeloving

Medalist
Shelepen is different than in the past, growing up is helping her.

She already has a graceful body that can be ballerina, she could be great if she is more polish and connect more with the music.

I'll try to roll up the videos I know about so far:

Adelina Sotnikova SP
http://www.youtube.com/user/ice888ice#p/a/u/0/ejbSMgHt-ow
Very good competitive. Her definition type skating is all there. Performance, I liked she was clean.

Haven't seen the link yet. Hopefully soon.

Very surprised she used a Blues Number. She managed it, and with those high jumps had a very good skate.

Standared - didn't grab me as a versatile skater would have.

Still have to watch - no comment now.

A beautiful figure skating performance, and not trying to be a ballerina. Old man Nicks should be proud.

Yuki Nishino SP
Very reministent of Miki Ando. She may become Japan's best after the others leave.

I could not find anything yet for Gao or Tuktamisheva
I would love to see these two, but thanks Doris for the others.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Your right she isn't Sasha. She didn't fall on her butt.

Um, this is the short program, not the free skate. Sasha was clean in the short nearly everytime. Courtney has nice jumps and a cool spin, but she lacks lacks Sasha's polish and look at me quality. I'd like to see her improve her skating skills and presentation.

Sasha's Malaguena and Dark Eyes are two of my favorite SPs of all time.

Um, this is the short program, not the free skate. Sasha was clean in the short nearly everytime. Courtney has nice jumps and a cool spin, but she lacks lacks Sasha's polish and look at me quality. I'd like to see her improve her skating skills and presentation.
Voila.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay the Russians girls are good but this Adelina Sotnikova is only 14 right? And tiny. Before anyone crowns her the next Olympic champion it should be mentioned that most likely she still has a growth spurt in her future. If she grows another three four inches who's the say she won't go the way of so many other promising skaters? Until a skater gets to be about 16 and can still jump and improve i don't get excited no matter how good they look on the ice. The same goes for Tuktamysheva who is even younger.

oleada

Record Breaker
Adelina actually grew a lot last season, which is why she really struggled last year with her jumps and finished off the podium at Russian Nats. I believe she is about the same height as Leonova. She' thin, but height wise, she's not tiny. She probably has some growing left to do, but the fact that she's grown already and her jumps are better than they used to be is encouraging.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of potential there with Hicks and her spins and jumps. She just needs polish but she's in good hands with John Nicks. She seems to be a good competitor too which is something refreshing what with all the headcases in US Seniors right now.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm no Sasha fans but I clearly recognize her gifts and fall or not people still want to skate like her. Of course they want to skate like Michelle more...:laugh:

I agree Jammers. Right now I just hope that Adelina will still have that potential when the Olympics come around because she's pretty awesome right now. I just have to remember that she's 14 and the puberty monster ruin everything.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
The thing Adelina and Liza have going for them is that they have good skating skills and strong jump technique, unlike some teenage phenoms of the past (I.e. Caroline Zhang)

lavender

Record Breaker
Aww no Gao.

Great skating from all that I watch. Didn't watch Agnes. I would love to see Li and Gao.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm no Sasha fans but I clearly recognize her gifts and fall or not people still want to skate like her. Of course they want to skate like Michelle more...:laugh:

I agree Jammers. Right now I just hope that Adelina will still have that potential when the Olympics come around because she's pretty awesome right now. I just have to remember that she's 14 and the puberty monster ruin everything.

Of all the youngsters I like this Russian girl Adelina the most.
Perhaps because stylistically like most of today's best emerging skaters she has so much in common with Sasha.

Kwan was wonderful and maybe the best lady skater of the 90's. But spins, positions and extensions have come a long way since SASHA first showed us the possibilties.

I see little doubt that Sasha was the most influential skater of the past decade and at this time it seems safe to say she is frequently copied but rarely equaled.

If Adelina survives growth spurts her beautiful, Sasha like style will set her apart from the others.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Uh, what? Modern figure skating as we know it was based on ballet from the start. There were skaters with great extension and lines before Sasha. Sasha may have been the apex of the balletic style on ice, but it's been the style for skaters to ape since the sports started. Sasha originated and popularized the i-spin. That's her biggest influence.

Being a Russian, Adelina has closer sources to inspire her ballet-apery than a foreign skater who stopped competing when Adelina was still a toddler.

Last edited: