World Championship entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World Championship entries

mousepotato

On the Ice
Yeah, I guess Russia decides the world team based on the performance at europeans.

Menshov didn't have as good a season. AG would have won RN had he not got hurt in the short (he was 9th) and second in the FS (146.53 to 146.75) to finish 2nd. All countries will look at the whole season vs one competiton if if serves their best interest to send the best people.

Also no offense to KM but AG is younger (17) and if they want to groom him for the future they would be better off sending him now over a 28 year old.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Because Balde has not met the required score, since he has not competed internationally in the past couple of years.

Baldé needed to skate at an international event this season to meet the minimum score requirement for skating at Worlds.
That's tough. So even if he had won Canadian nationals it wouldn't be enough?

Exactly what is the rule? If only this season counts, how can Lepistö and Yuna be allowed to particpate?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
herios, re: I/K

That's different then. I do think they were overscored, but I will say Euros was the first competition where I had an inkling of what everyone else saw in them. Still the most overhyped skaters ever in my experience.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's tough. So even if he had won Canadian nationals it wouldn't be enough?

Exactly what is the rule? If only this season counts, how can Lepistö and Yuna be allowed to particpate?

The ISU doesn't care how he scored (or any one else) at their nationals. They care how he scored in ISU sponsored competitions.

If he had competed at Sr. Worlds last year, he would be OK, for example, if he had qualifying scores there. Obviously Laura & YuNa qualify :) Elladj didn't skate at Euros. He should have competed in a Senior B competition to get the score. But that requires a trip to Europe...

Again, both Canada and the US should look into having one or more Senior B competitions in North America.

herios

Medalist
Again, both Canada and the US should look into having one or more Senior B competitions in North America.

For their bests prospects Canada or US should send them over in Europe later in the season for "B" competitions (a few of them would not cost as much as organizing a "B" event. I don't get the fact that only the pre-GP events gets their attention.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
`I think it would be wonderful if we had a couple of NA 'B' events. more skaters would have a chance to get some good competition under their belts, without the wear and tear of so much travel.

russell30

Final Flight
Is it OFFICIAL that Faiella & Scali have retired or are they injured I know it has been a poor season for them.

Or have they decided to go because other teams have surpassed them ie Bobrova/Soloviev

Shame I think they could have re-bounded at Worlds, "Monolete" FD looked good at Euros.

Anyway we have fab memories of them:biggrin:

Tanja90

On the Ice
Is it OFFICIAL that Faiella & Scali have retired or are they injured I know it has been a poor season for them.

Or have they decided to go because other teams have surpassed them ie Bobrova/Soloviev

Shame I think they could have re-bounded at Worlds, "Monolete" FD looked good at Euros.

Anyway we have fab memories of them:biggrin:

I't not official but I think they'll likely retire...considering their age all the health problems they've been through in the past few season they should have retired last season but they tried all they could to try to win the gold at euros this year a gold that was so closed last season...still there isn't official news yet but we can consider euros were the ending of massimo and federica's figure skating career...I wish them all the best!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
At least Faeilla/Scali got their World medal last year before retiring. It would be sad to see a good team like them retire with no medals from Worlds/Olympics. I'm not sure how many Euro medals they have won.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Andrei Lutai is a coach of Georgi KENCHADZE Bulgaria, so I guess he retired after the incident in Lake placid 2010 :unsure:

Ina Lutai (mother, sister, wife?) is the choreographer.

GOOD LUCK to all three :yes:

oleada

Record Breaker
Ina Lutai (nee Demireva) is Andrei's wife. She's also Albena Denkova's sister.

ibauer

Rinkside
I see they named Gachinski to the Russian team instead of Menshov, even though Menshov is the National champion.

Fumie's on the list of substitutes for women. I thought she was like 8th at Japanese Nats.

Suguri finished 7th, but Nishino and Shoji (who finished ahead of her) went to Jr. Worlds, so she was next in line after Suzuki.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
herios, re: I/K

That's different then. I do think they were overscored, but I will say Euros was the first competition where I had an inkling of what everyone else saw in them. Still the most overhyped skaters ever in my experience.

I agree in every sense of the word!!!!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Again, Europeans seems to be the deciding result. They did that alst year, sending Borodulin instead of Voronov to Vancouver when the latter flamed out at Euros. If it was politics, they wouldn't have fallen behind K/A in the FD at Nationals, imo.

Once again, ITA, I believe that K/A are going to surpass them next year!

Tanja90

On the Ice
Valentina Marchei won't be at worlds...She injured her right ankle during the morning off-ice practice session before the free skate at euros..even more she injured her left knee during the free skate that day and she couldn't recover from it...Roberta Rodeghiero will go instead...

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wonder if even if ISU doesn't cancel or postpone worlds, some skaters might decide to stay home because they fear for their own safety

travelbug

Rinkside
I've not posted yet so I can't post links, but if you google "Alissa Czisny" on Google News, the most recent article includes quotes from Yuka Sato who updates on the situation in the Tokyo area.

She mentions her family all being safe, and that her mom was at "Chuckyo University -- which is where Takahiko (Kozuka) and Mao (Asada) train, that's outskirts of Nagoya" and that "It was shaking hard, but no damages."

So good news from her about her family, but also that the area around where Mao is is also fine.

The article was posted on the Detroit Free Press.