Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 83

Thread: Junior men's freeskate

  1. #31

  2. #32
    Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The home of Jeff, Kurt & Shawn!
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    So despite having the champion, America's hat only gets 2 entries next year
    A little off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I think it's funny that you called Canada "America's hat" because it reminds me of a cute on-line comic strip called "Scandinavia and the World", and America does "wear" Canada as his hat! http://satwcomic.com/awesome-hats The Scandinavian characters are clearly jealous.


    ETA: If the link doesn't work at first, just reload the page.
    Last edited by siberia82; 03-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.

  3. #33
    Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    I actually count 6 medals : Brain Pockar (1976 bronze), Daniel Beland (1977 gold), Dennis Coi (1978 gold), Marc Ferland (1984 silver), Patrick Chan (2007 silver) and now Andrei Rogozine (2011 gold).

    Still, you're right that Canada generally doesn't do well at Junior Worlds, so this win is big, indeed!
    Ack! You're right, I missed Brian Pockar. It was really late and I was quite sleepy. Poor Canada needs all the help it can get here. Of course, it doesn't stop Canada from producing great male skaters. It's just that for some reason Canadian greats like Browning, Sandhu and Buttle never medaled at junior worlds, which didn't stop them from going on to winning medals in seniors.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,666
    I have not viewed the LPs so I'm responding to the posts, not the skating:

    Rogozine's basics are noticeably weaker, his jumps have no flow, and even worse, he's boring. I don't know how he had 2pts higher in PCS - actually, he's quite grossly overscored in PCS overall.
    I didn't get the PCS judging for this competition. Brown and Tanaka should've had the highest, but the first doesn't have a 3A and the latter was pretty unknown coming in, so, of course they don't get it. Ridiculous.
    Keegan Messing choked big time according to reports. He was super nervous and popped the first axel, then reverted to a 3toe instead of a quad, along with other mistakes. Somehow he still managed the highest PCS of the competition.
    PCS are not scored on jumps.

    Oleada, isn't it contradictory to complain about one skater's high PCS with bad jumps and also about another's low PCS because of lack of 3A?

    This wouldn't be the first time where the PCS are little off in order to ensure that the order of finish is correct.
    ^^^ This is a statement of personal opinion becoming the premise for

    Also, words cannot express how much I disagree with the idea that PCS should be fudged around with to ensure some general feeling of "the right ranking".
    And then there is

    I agree with above on Rogozine--based on what I saw of him at the JGPF, he is actually a pretty boring skater and I don't find his basics all that great either. Maybe another judges' pet?
    Such insult and scorn thrown at both skater and judges because of a personal opinion based on viewing of one earlier performance!

    I actually count 6 medals : Brain Pockar (1976 bronze), Daniel Beland (1977 gold), Dennis Coi (1978 gold), Marc Ferland (1984 silver), Patrick Chan (2007 silver) and now Andrei Rogozine (2011 gold).
    Of these, only Pockar and Chan, both non Gold winners, continued to greater success on the Senior level. And Canada's World Champions don't appear on this list. So winning the Juniors may or may not be a reliable indicator of further success.

    Congratulations to Andrei Rogozine for the win! And to Keiji Tanaka and Alexander Majorov for their Silver and Bronze.

  5. #35
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31
    I didn't get to see it live since this wasn't on Swedish TV but I am so glad for Sasha.
    Thank you for your notes and vids.Perhaps there will be some from the FPs as well.
    I just want to add something even if Sasha has Russian parents they moved to Sweden when he was 2 years old.So, he really does consider himself Swedish and he is very Swedish in every way.He also has a very nice Northern Swedish accent when he talks.His Russian is so so...

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    103

    looking for video!

    would be so grateful if somebody could post the Andrei's video ( the Canadian )!! Thanks in advance to whover can do this !

  7. #37
    Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    A little off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I think it's funny that you called Canada "America's hat" because it reminds me of a cute on-line comic strip called "Scandinavia and the World", and America does "wear" Canada as his hat! http://satwcomic.com/awesome-hats The Scandinavian characters are clearly jealous.
    It's a traditional nick name for Canada! By the same token, the US can also be called Canada's pants. :D

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    It's a traditional nick name for Canada! By the same token, the US can also be called Canada's pants. :D

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,666
    Looking at the Reuslts, I find that, as at 2010 Skate Canada, the placements are pretty much down the line with the TES, with only a couple of exceptions low in the list. PCS have essentially no effect on the placements, contrary to popular opinions on this thread.

    Jason Brown needed 10.13 points more to win and additional 5.8 points to medal. He had already been awarded one of the highest PCS in a pretty tight range among the top 7.

    It seems PCS and "bad judging", i.e. judging one disagrees with, are the usual "fall guys" propping up the winner when one doesn't like the final placements.

  10. #40
    Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The home of Jeff, Kurt & Shawn!
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by EVAMARIA View Post
    I just want to add something even if Sasha has Russian parents they moved to Sweden when he was 2 years old.So, he really does consider himself Swedish and he is very Swedish in every way.He also has a very nice Northern Swedish accent when he talks.His Russian is so so...
    The Majorovs actually moved to Sweden when Sasha was one year old , but yes, I was aware that he strongly identifies himself as a Swede. (I was just joking a little with snowflake.)

    By the same token, Andrei is also very Canadian; he even stated in the Dec. 2010 issue of International Figure Skating that he has never visited Russia since his parents moved to Canada. (I gave the magazine to snowflake, so I don't remember how old he was at the time, but he was very young.)

    Btw, welcome to the forum, EvaMaria! Although I'm a Canuck, I've developed a passion for Sweden's top male figure skaters this season, so you'll see me often on discussion topics related to them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    It's a traditional nick name for Canada!
    Strange, I've been to the US several times, yet I've never heard an American describe my country that way. Isn't it weird that I was first exposed to the hat nickname through an on-line Danish comic strip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    By the same token, the US can also be called Canada's pants.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,067
    Oleada, isn't it contradictory to complain about one skater's high PCS with bad jumps and also about another's low PCS because of lack of 3A?
    I was being sarcastic. I do believe Brown deserves higher PCS than he got - but I was saying that in the judges mind, since he didn't have a 3A, he's not getting higher marks.

    I stand by the statement that Rogozine was overscored in PCS. He is lacking in basics and flow, and his performance was really nothing special. YMMV, but I don't think he should've had such high score. I'm sure he's a wonderful kid off the ice and a hard worker, but that doesn't change facts.

    ETA: and it looks I'm not alone in this feeling. From the GS article:

    As in the short program, Rogozine had drawn to skate last and once again he delivered. The 18-year-old opened with a triple Axel-triple toe and followed up with another triple Axel and five more triples. However, he did not have much flow on his landings, and the program to The Rock was rather generic. The change foot sit spin was graded a level four while the other spins were a level two and three.
    The 16-year-old won the free skating with 132.92 points and earned 196.98 points overall. However, he should have deserved a higher component score, and some observers felt that he should have won overall.
    http://goldenskate.com/articles/2010/jw_ml.shtml
    Last edited by oleada; 03-05-2011 at 04:06 PM.

  12. #42
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31
    Thank you and glad you like Swedish skating.

  13. #43
    Custom Title snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post

    By the same token, Andrei is also very Canadian; he even stated in the Dec. 2010 issue of International Figure Skating that he has never visited Russia since his parents moved to Canada. (I gave the magazine to snowflake, so I don't remember how old he was at the time, but he was very young.)
    He was 5 when he moved to Canada and started skating at 6. His goal is Olympics in his birth country. (source IFS)...

    ...and yes, welcome EVAMARIA!

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Messing had the highest PCS of the night. Looking forward to seeing what he did to earn them

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    I've seen Messing's FS live, and he sells the program with wonderful characterization from the first note to the last. By comparison, Rogozine is a wind-up jumping robot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •