Junior men's freeskate | Golden Skate

Junior men's freeskate

jozmen01

Rinkside
I see that Jason went into 2nd - after his free at Nationals, thought he might have a little better showing. Not able to see what happened - is it because he does not have a triple axel?

gold12345

Medalist
I see that Jason went into 2nd - after his free at Nationals, thought he might have a little better showing. Not able to see what happened - is it because he does not have a triple axel?

Considering he came into this without a 3A and with a flutz, I'd say he's doing quite well. I didn't see his entire program, but the jumps I did see were well executed.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Tweet from Gina (Skating86):

Jason Brown - 2A, 3Lz(e), 3F, 3loop, 2A, 3Lz (e)-3T, 3F-2T-2R, 3S (UR i think)-2T, He also needs the 3axel to be competitive.

That's what she thinks he landed. So it explains his score and placement. It is encouraging however that Jason still has the highest PCS (tied with Han Yan) of all the skaters in this segment with just 3 skaters left to go. So the judges are noticing what we notice about him too!

magicalwords

On the Ice
From what I've seen, Jason did the following jumps today (correct me if I'm wrong)
2A
3(f)Lz (maybe 2-footed? I couldn't see well)
3F
3Lo
2A
3(f)Lz+3T
3F+2T+2L
2S+2T -> 3S+2T (Protocol's out and I see that it was 3S<+2T. From my feed (crappy) it looked almost like a 2S.)

edit : ah, Serious Business posted above :)

So sad that he didn't do 2F + 2A sequence here! Well, His program @ nationals was definitely better but IMO he could've had more PCS. At least he has highest PCS in CH & IN w/ 3 skaters to go (rightfully so!). Even a program not perfect still amazes me so much and leaves me wonder the possibilities and the future ahead of him.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
From the earlier groups, Jason Brown was fabulous! Not as good as Nationals, but still very good. Gordey Gorshkov was also great. He's more artistic than the current Russian men and landed a 3A.

Keiji Tanaka skated a blinder. Great technique, very clean and two 3A. Could use a bit more expression but he has a lot of potential. Wow, Japanese men.

Keegan bombed, unfortunately. :( 1A and a fall setting up for a loop. What a shame! He seems to have bad nerves.

Majorov was also very impressive - the best FS I've seen him do. I think I like him more than Schultheiss and Berntsson. Did 2 3A, on in combo with a 3T

Aaaron is really not my style. Fell on a 3Lz and a hand down on the 3Lo.

Rogozine skating currently and he's not really my style AT ALL either. But he's skating well.

oleada

Record Breaker
Tanaka was robbed, I think. Rogozine's basics are noticeably weaker, his jumps have no flow, and even worse, he's boring. I don't know how he had 2pts higher in PCS - actually, he's quite grossly overscored in PCS overall.

Brown, Tanaka, Gorshkov and Majorov were the highlights for me.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks to all those that provided a link & commentary, much appreciated. :)

I came on right before Keegan Messing took the ice, and have followed the results since then. It seems everybody skated well except for Keegan, which was unfortunate because at US Nationals he skated without falls in both the SP & LP. What held him back, and rightfully so, is his immature "Incredible Hulk" program. I said it then and I will say it again now ~ someone from his camp dropped the ball on that one.

That said, ALL the American men did quite well ~ 4th, 5th, and 7th is a great result ~ they earned 3 slots for next year! YEAH! :love:

Here's hoping your country was well represented as well, be it Belgium, Austria, or Nigeria! *cheers* :)

Now onto the Ladies! :cool:

oleada

Record Breaker
What held Keegan back was his nerves. He had the highest PCS, so the judges didn't give a hoot if his program is "immature". If he'd landed the 3A and the 3Lo, he'd have won or at least medaled. Rogozine's program sucks and is practically non-existant, and he's the champion.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
This is the first time a Canadian has won the men's world junior championships in 33 years! And only the 5th medal won by a Canadian in this discipline in these championships ever (that's 35 years)! That's something.

Keegan Messing choked big time according to reports. He was super nervous and popped the first axel, then reverted to a 3toe instead of a quad, along with other mistakes. Somehow he still managed the highest PCS of the competition. I suspect pity points? Judges trying to keep a favorite alive? I don't know what the judges were thinking but I am quite skeptical about those PCS. I love the little Hulkster, but he shouldn't be having the highest PCS when skating well, and certainly not when he's skating badly and nervously.

After a season of dominating the JGP circuit, US men are a no show on the Junior Worlds podium! Of course, Dornbush is off to senior worlds. Well, at least the US men retain 3 spots for next year. Jason improved his PCS considerably from the SP to the FS, if he gets a 3axel and/or quad, he should do quite well going forward.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Messing having the highest PCS is pretty bad, and so is Rogozine having the 2nd highest. I didn't get the PCS judging for this competition. Brown and Tanaka should've had the highest, but the first doesn't have a 3A and the latter was pretty unknown coming in, so, of course they don't get it. Ridiculous.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry for being so obtuse, oleada, but you mistake me, I meant his immature "Incredible Hulk" program held him back majorly at US Nationals. After the SP, his beautifully constructed choreographed "Robin Hood" program left him I think in 3rd place! But in contrast his Hulk LP dropped him way down to 8th. :(

His jumps are phenomenal, he even went for the quad at US Nationals in the FS (btw he applauded both of Ryan Bradley's terrific quads during the warmup), but Keegan needs to work on his presentation (his problem is opposite of Jason Brown). When given a terrific program like "Robin Hood" Keegan is up there with the best in the world, he just needs the right program.

Anyhow, this young man is one to watch that's for sure.

And as an American, I have to say I am proud of ALL three ~ Keegan, Aaron, and Jason ~ BRAVO, BRAVO! :bow: :cool:

gold12345

Medalist
Messing having the highest PCS is pretty bad, and so is Rogozine having the 2nd highest. I didn't get the PCS judging for this competition. Brown and Tanaka should've had the highest, but the first doesn't have a 3A and the latter was pretty unknown coming in, so, of course they don't get it. Ridiculous.

This wouldn't be the first time where the PCS are little off in order to ensure that the order of finish is correct. As long as they got the order right, I'm okay with it here. As great as Jason Brown is, I don't think he should be placing any higher than he is right now.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Wow, congrats to Canada, Japan and Sweden! No US or Russian medals :think:

Sweden's first junior worlds medal :yay: Well done Sasha :party:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
This wouldn't be the first time where the PCS are little off in order to ensure that the order of finish is correct. As long as they got the order right, I'm okay with it here. As great as Jason Brown is, I don't think he should be placing any higher than he is right now.

Jason Brown's PCS would have to be higher by 2.05 points for him to move up over Han Yan. And by all accounts, Han Yan also deserved higher PCS (his PCS in the FS is tied with Jason Brown's, and they're both quality skaters lacking the 3axel). Han Yan's PCS would have to be higher by 6.43 for him to place over Max Aaron in the final results. In my opinion, both Brown and Yan deserved much higher PCS, which wouldn't have changed the final rankings.

On the other hand, if Keegan Messing had lost 1.15 or more points on his FS PCS, he'd be in 5th place instead of Max Aaron. But given the disastrous FS he put out that would hardly be a travesty. As it is, Messing is only 0.64 points away from being on the podium. Which doesn't seem to reflect the competition that took place.

Also, words cannot express how much I disagree with the idea that PCS should be fudged around with to ensure some general feeling of "the right ranking". Things should be scored correctly and accurately, then tallied up. If that's done for all the elements for all the skaters, the ranking it produces will be exactly the right one.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Gordey Gorshkov was also great. He's more artistic than the current Russian men and landed a 3A.

Such a shame that he had a really worse SP here. :cry:
But happy that he landed his 3A!!!
I absolutly love this boy. A russian boy who is enjoyable to watch. :biggrin::biggrin: