Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Stars On Ice DC 3-6-11 (this is long)

  1. #31
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,079
    I agree with lavender. To me, Sasha invites you into her world, rather than thrusting herself into your world. I don't see this characterization as a criticism at all. Many of Michelle's greatest performances were like that: Fields of Gold (2002 Oly exhibition), Red Violin (2000 Worlds exhibition version), East of Eden (1998 world pro artistic program), The Feeling Begins short program (2004 worlds performance) are examples.

    For that matter, Miles Davis was like that.

  2. #32
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Hmmm. You made me very sad that I never got to see Sasha and Michelle live in their competitive years. It would have been interesting to compare their different styles live. One thing you can say about both is that they both had STYLE. More than most of the women skating in their time and now, I think. The audiences always seemed delighted to get to see both. Maybe I'll still get to see Sasha on SOI one of these days ... not to mention the other skaters RD spoke about it. Kurt and Katia must be legendary performers. How amazing that they are still skating and still wowing the crowds all these years later. I hope Sasha will be.

  3. #33
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree with lavender. To me, Sasha invites you into her world, rather than thrusting herself into your world. I don't see this characterization as a criticism at all. Many of Michelle's greatest performances were like that: Fields of Gold (2002 Oly exhibition), Red Violin (2000 Worlds exhibition version), East of Eden (1998 world pro artistic program), The Feeling Begins short program (2004 worlds performance) are examples.
    It's fine if some say being inward is not a criticism. My objection is that it feels inaccurate when describing Sasha.

    I have heard similar remarks about Alissa and Mao which I also disagree with.
    Perhaps it is how we perceive things and what we enjoy. About levels of sophistication from skaters and what fans identify with.

    I have heard Mao lacks expression and yet when she takes the ice I can't take my eyes off her. To me her skating is just so beautiful!
    It is like that with Alissa for me and Sasha too.

    Please think of this as exhibit C:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELFerA2QZX8

    Feel free to point out the inward parts of this performance

    But, I already agree with Scott's observation,. "what a performer!"
    Last edited by janetfan; 03-08-2011 at 07:25 PM.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,038
    Well I can't say anymore. I understand why you just don't want to hear something that may or may not be perceived as negative about your favorite. I truly understand.

    Anyway I hope I don't forget to watch when they show SOI on tv so I can see the new programs.

    This is the first time that Sasha gave me chills. I had to admit that to myself.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PDaP...2FA7C81CDEC206

  5. #35
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    It's fine if some say being inward is not a criticism. My objection is that it feels inaccurate when describing Sasha.

    I have heard similar remarks about Alissa and Mao which I also disagree with.
    Perhaps it is how we perceive things and what we enjoy. About levels of sophistication from skaters and what fans identify with.

    I have heard Mao lacks expression and yet when she takes the ice I can't take my eyes off her. To me her skating is just so beautiful!
    It is like that with Alissa for me and Sasha too.

    Please think of this as exhibit C:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELFerA2QZX8

    Feel free to point out the inward parts of this performance

    But, I already agree with Scott's observation,. "what a performer!"
    Hmm. Mao does strike me as a little inward sometimes, more than Sasha. Nonetheless, I'm still completely taken in by her skating. She's another one who I would love to see live - and maybe she won't seem so inward to me.

    Alissa seems like something else all together because it's just her style that she's a soft, quiet skater. I love it but others not so much. On the other hand her recent performance a that gymnastics/skating thing showed a different, funkier side of her and I thought she did well!

    I think RD's perception of Sasha is fair enough and he is right that he's not the first person to say that about her. Scott said that "what a performer" comment about her in '06 and I think he was right. But Dick Button, who LOVED Sasha, said a few years earlier that her face was sometimes like a mask.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    I know it's been talked to death on this forum, but I do agree Sasha is a more "inward" skater. I don't think it is an insult, or has to mean she's not a performer, she hates her job; I view it is a style. I've always likened Sasha to a snowglobe: you watch what is happening as if it's a whole 'nother world, separate from the rest of the world, yet you can't look away. I just never feel Sasha really reaches out to the audience, but instead, draws them to her.

    Michelle, IMO, is an outward skater. She reaches out to the audience, and grabs even those in the nosebleeds to take them on her journey.

    That said, there are times I do feel Sasha aims to project (Dark Eyes is a perfect example) and times I feel Michelle is more introverted. It's just a style, and what a viewer prefers is what will interest them the most.

  7. #37
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,538
    Here are my pictures from the show and M&G!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8440248...th/5511057586/

    I'll leave this up for a little while.

  8. #38
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,045
    Great photos RD!

  9. #39
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Here are my pictures from the show and M&G!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8440248...th/5511057586/

    I'll leave this up for a little while.
    Awesome! Thanks for the treat. Strange to see Gordeeva as a blond. Some of these numbers looks like so much fun, especially the balloon one and Joannie's baton number.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,489
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    I know it's been talked to death on this forum, but I do agree Sasha is a more "inward" skater. I don't think it is an insult, or has to mean she's not a performer, she hates her job; I view it is a style. I've always likened Sasha to a snowglobe: you watch what is happening as if it's a whole 'nother world, separate from the rest of the world, yet you can't look away. I just never feel Sasha really reaches out to the audience, but instead, draws them to her.

    Michelle, IMO, is an outward skater. She reaches out to the audience, and grabs even those in the nosebleeds to take them on her journey.

    That said, there are times I do feel Sasha aims to project (Dark Eyes is a perfect example) and times I feel Michelle is more introverted. It's just a style, and what a viewer prefers is what will interest them the most.
    That's a very good way of putting it. I do sense an aloofness in Sasha, and I must add that she's one of my favorite skaters, so I don't mean it at all as an insult or even as a left-handed compliment. It's a description of her essence to me, but it's subjective and others may react differently. I'd give a lot to see her "inward" skating in the ranks of American competitive skaters right now, I can tell you. And one of you mentioned the 2002 Olympics--that short program (to "Sentimental Waltz") remains one of my favorite programs ever by any skater. To me, Sasha was never a failure, and I've frequently defended her competitive record against people who dismiss her as a head case. (Several world silvers and an Olympic medal don't make a failure in my book!) She's unique, and she was just as self-possessed, with movements and postures that were just as finished off, when she was fourteen. But her ice persona is rather enigmatic to me, and that's great, because it's part of her individuality. I wish she'd been able to hold on beyond 2006 as a competitor so she could have dominated an era on her own, but I'm hugely glad that she continued as a pro skater.

    As for Gordeyeva, she's in the top five on my life list, right up there with Michelle and Yuka Sato, and I've left space for Mao and YuNa, because I suspect we're not going to see their like again. For the record, I don't see Mao as aloof at all, but it just goes to prove that everyone sees it differently.

  11. #41
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,651
    Love your pics, especially the Meet & Greet ones. Thanks!

  12. #42
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    That's terrible! What a jerk!
    as iluvtodd said - it was a good thing. He went out of his way to reach out to a fan (my brother) and it truly touched me to the point where I ran up to my hotel room and bawled my eyes out. Several other board members were there and were moved as well. I've never had a fan experience match my meeting Browning.

  13. #43
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That's a very good way of putting it. I do sense an aloofness in Sasha, and I must add that she's one of my favorite skaters, so I don't mean it at all as an insult or even as a left-handed compliment. It's a description of her essence to me, but it's subjective and others may react differently. I'd give a lot to see her "inward" skating in the ranks of American competitive skaters right now, I can tell you. And one of you mentioned the 2002 Olympics--that short program (to "Sentimental Waltz") remains one of my favorite programs ever by any skater. To me, Sasha was never a failure, and I've frequently defended her competitive record against people who dismiss her as a head case. (Several world silvers and an Olympic medal don't make a failure in my book!) She's unique, and she was just as self-possessed, with movements and postures that were just as finished off, when she was fourteen. But her ice persona is rather enigmatic to me, and that's great, because it's part of her individuality. I wish she'd been able to hold on beyond 2006 as a competitor so she could have dominated an era on her own, but I'm hugely glad that she continued as a pro skater.

    As for Gordeyeva, she's in the top five on my life list, right up there with Michelle and Yuka Sato, and I've left space for Mao and YuNa, because I suspect we're not going to see their like again. For the record, I don't see Mao as aloof at all, but it just goes to prove that everyone sees it differently.

  14. #44
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    So how would some of you rate this performance:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN5oyaYWLP4


    Maybe it would be better if she was not so inward and aloof here

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    I don't know where the "aloof" comment pertains to Sasha's performances, but I will say I don't think "inward" has to be a negative. I don't mind that exhibition, but it's not one of my faves from Sasha. It's kind of typical Sasha in a way, a collection of her bendy moves, but not really Sasha putting herself out there. Every time I see Sasha skate like this, I think of Dick saying how her smile doesn't extend to her eyes. I just feel sometimes she's acting and not selling. Sorry if that sounds negative, but tha's my take on Sasha. But when I see her skate to R&J, whether it was her exhibition or competitive program, I buy it completely, and that is what I think of when I say "snow globe effect."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •