Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stars On Ice DC 3-6-11 (this is long)

Down With It
    in case you're wondering, MM is referring to this photo http://twitpic.com/477i7u

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    R.D., thanks for the great report! I've never been to SOI--I'd like to sometime but it never quite comes close enough to where I live.

Custom Title
    Wow at Sasha's hair.

take off the oven mitts
    thank you R.D. for answering my question about katia gordeeva in particular and for all the insights and observations. great pictures, too! for me she's the best pure skater ever, in any discipline, however much i may love MK and YNK and Mao and yes even carolina kostner glad to have met another katia convert LOL

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    ^ at least you met him, though!
    he made me cry

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    he made me cry
    That's terrible! What a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    he made me cry
    In a good way! Serious business, I trust that you're joking,

God bless what's his name? ... God bless Kurt! (my favorite lines from The Sound of Music)

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    The inward skating of Cohen isn't stopping her from being very well received by audiences, so I don't think that's something that will change.
    It almost seems hard to believe Sasha has been skating with SOI for a decade and was the headliner for close to half a decade.

And how strange that fans respond so well to her "inward style"

Her is an example of Sasha's "inward" style and yet once again the fans responded very well to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNweTvOwfAM

Easy to see how "inward" Sasha is in the clip and totally lacking charisma and ability to project to the audience

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Here is an example of Sasha's "inward" style and yet once again the fans responded very well to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNweTvOwfAM
    Sasha's greatest triumph. In your face, doubters!

Still, I understand R.D.'s point. Sasha draws you in, she doesn't throw it at you, like, say, Philippe Candeloro or Michael Weiss.

Custom Title
    I don't think being inward was meant to be a bad thing especially when it comes to Sasha. Almost everyone knows that Sasha is a pretty great entertainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Sasha's greatest triumph. In your face, doubters!

Still, I understand R.D.'s point. Sasha draws you in, she doesn't throw it at you, like, say, Philippe Candeloro or Michael Weiss.
    I don't understand RD's point at all as I find Sasha one of the most entertaining and expressive skaters of all time.

Thinking of musical performances aren't we glad that we see so many different performance styles?
    If some preferred Dizzy's manic bebopping does that mean fans who preferred the cooler style of Miles are wrong?

Listen to the New York Philharmonic under Bernstein's flashy and frantic tempos and stylings and then listen to the much more restrained Ricardo Muti.
    Who is to say who is better? They are different and to like one does not mean we have to knock the other.

Sasha is an iconic skater and no amount of criticism and lefthanded compliments will take that away from her.
    To say Sasha is inward seems odd at best. She is simply one of the greatest stylists to ever grace the ice.

Sasha's greatest moment was winning an Olympic Silver medal. Although it felt bittersweet at the time it was certainly no more disappointing than Michelle's OSM and OBM.

Down With It
    Good lord man...calm down everyone!

Inward doesn't mean bad. It just means rather than reaching out and actively wowing the audience, she is more restrained and leaves it to the viewer to be wowed. Different styles. I happen to prefer the outward style, but in a show, it's nice to have a balance.

Believe me, I'm not the only one that has said this about her. This is my 4th year, 5th show and Cohen has been in all five. I think that's enough to form my own opinion of her. It's different than watching on TV.

Custom Title
    That's what I thought. I didn't think it was bad either. When it comes to Sasha that can't be bad. Johnny was a inward type of skater imo and I certainly prefer him to Evan. I rather watch Sasha's old competitve numbers than most of these ladies skating today on the senior circuit.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Well, I've never seen Sasha live, sadly. She was criticized early in her career for needing more expression but that seemed to change by 2006, IMO anyway. I thought all three of her performances at Torino - including "Don't Rain on My Parade" were tremendously expressive.
    From the little I've been able to catch of her SOI performances it does seem to come and go a bit, but mostly I've loved what I've seen. (Not "Please Don't Stop the Music" though) But I'd love to see her live one day and see what I think then. If she doesn't always project with her expression, it seems to me she always does with her body and her wonderfully finished-off moves, which is probably why she always gets a good crowd reaction, despite not being the "heart-on-your-sleeve" type of skater.

ETA: Not such of a fan of the hair. Thanks for the pics, RD!
    Last edited by Layfan; 03-08-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Sasha at 17 skating under a bit of pressure on home Olympic ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gJ5H3ubfA

Please tell me the part where she is "inward" or detached?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast