Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2011 World Figure Skating Championships on TV

Custom Title
    If cbc or other Canadian service will really be live streaming the competition, then there is a possibility for those frustrated US fans that are willing to watch on computer and have a broadband connection: get VPN (Virtual Private Network) software with a Canadian-based server, even if it's on a temporary trial basis for a week or two, after which you abandon it. Some VPN companies even offer a free or low-cost short trial with no obligation, should be able to find something to cover this period for US$5-10. You'll need to do some research as to companies, and make sure they have a Canada-based server option so you get a secure virtual "tunnel" to Canada. When you find something you'll need to download the software and get a login/password. Normally VPN's can be turned on or off once they are installed, so you can connect to your regular internet service/USA ISP without the VPN, but turn it on (if a multi-server location option, open the Canada server connection), and lo and behold, everyone on the internet including cbc and bold thinks you are in Canada because your IP address will now be in Canada. I have to use a VPN from China to access a multitude of non-skating sites and I have a Canada server option--it does work to get around geoblocking. I can get skatebuzz, cbc, etc. when using the Canada server. For US residents, I suggest a Canada server will be the best option rather than something like a Japanese server because the distance the signal travels is shorter and the infrastructure/bandwidth usually better than when going over ocean routes--and that always helps the streaming quality. Another option to consider, anyway.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 03-09-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Custom Title
    Anyone know if Universal Sports is streaming the World championships live again like last year?

^^Yes for a fee of $9.95.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Although I haven't yet found where you can sign up for it on the Universal Sports website...

Speaking of Universal Sports..

2011 Worlds Figure Skating Commercial - Universal Sports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQqFd4g4g8
    Last edited by cooper; 03-10-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Although I haven't yet found where you can sign up for it on the Universal Sports website...
    Supposedly here: http://www.universalsports.com/premi...e-6767236727c1

Thank you. For the GP, it was on the front page of US-but at least they have a payment option now on the page. BTW, this includes replay (at a later time) as well as live coverage.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Guess I'll just be watching once videos are uploaded to YT..... before they're deleted for copyright reasons :(

Custom Title
    Well i've already shelled out $14.95 to Universalsports for their grand Prix coverage so what's another $9.95? I'm just worried with the time difference that the coverage will be in the middle of the night here while i'm at work.

Again, they also claim to provide 'on-demand' coverage later, if you pay now...

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well i've already shelled out $14.95 to Universalsports for their grand Prix coverage so what's another $9.95? I'm just worried with the time difference that the coverage will be in the middle of the night here while i'm at work.
    At first I thought that I was covered since I paid the $14.95 for the Grand Prix, but I was wrong. I paid the additional charge.
    I hope UniS puts their live streaming schedule up soon so we know what times we will be dealing with. I suspect in the middle of the
    night. Coffee drink lots of coffee.

Two questions:

1. Will Universal Sport show the Worlds on computer or TV?

2. Why is Icenetwork keeping mum about all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Why is Icenetwork keeping mum about all this?
    IN does not have the rights to Worlds.

Custom Title
    This site has comprehensive information on Figure Skating schedules (US TV, Internet streams in the USA & in other countries, etc.): http://sites.google.com/site/figureskatingnotes/
    Universal Sports' upcoming TV broadcast schedule (Europeans, Four Continents, Worlds) is listed there as of today.

Custom Title
    Count me as another fan that will probably lose track of the sport with out free, over the air coverage - just like I did when ABC stopped broadcasting. I've watched some competitions streaming and the quality just isn't the same - at least not with the DSL speed available to me here.

I don't know why the ISU and USFSA doesn't provide the commentators, camera crews etc and present a finished product, ready to air, to the network - full of promos of the networks other programming. The skating organizations have to realize that the more eyeballs they can get to watch any event, the better for the future of the sport.

It really is a sad spiral - lower rating - less coverage, less coverage - lower ratings. It's up to the governing bodies to turn this around.

I probably will pay to watch Worlds this year - but if next year I can only watch online, I'll probably sadly turn away.

Been nice knowing you guys!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast