Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ladies - A Look Back (Video List)

A big part of school figures is the body awareness and control which has no bearing on strength and ability to jump. I know skaters (who are now adult competitors) who were very GOOD at figures and equally good at FS. The thing they have is an innate understanding of where their body is and being able to quickly correct it to get back on track to do the skill they were setting up. This has no bearing on rushing to get to the Senior level (heck, in Janet's time it was all about the figure tests and getting through anything higher than 2nd typically took 8-15 months to learn the skills on the test that were new like loops and paragraph figures). There was no rush (even in the early-mid 80s) for skaters to gain triples because if they couldn't pass the figure test (which was the prerequisite for the level) they couldn't compete and if they passed but couldn't compete the figures well, they would never even GET to the freeskate (this would be at Regionals).

^^^
    Good analyses of where the body is for correcting.

I agree there was no immediate rush in the 6.0 system as there is in the CoP. Those points come bearing down on performance but are good for technical. The definitions of the elements were taken care of with aplomb in the 6.0s. The hype the Nagan winner received for being so young started the rush to become famous at an early age. Movies await the winner. yeah. JMO.

^^thanks oksanafan for the links!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I think it is particularly impressive that Katarina stuck around to defend her gold medal. I wonder if we we will ever see that again. Well, I guess Plushenko gave an astonishingly impressive go at it but he took time off in between.
    It must be so difficult, once you've won the top prize in your sport, to find the motivation to go through that gruel for four more years. Especially in a sport where your prime years can be so short.
    I think this may have been due to the fact that Katarina was very young in her first Olympics, and in East Germany, there was no turning pro. She stated in some interviews during the 90's that she had to win the second medal, in order to be allowed to do shows. Then, of course, the wall came down...

Custom Title
    Also in those days, I think a skater could repeat more easily. This was partly because school figures had a stabilizing influence on skating rankings. (Jumps are a lot more unpredictable.) It was also partly because the East-West split influenced certain judging decisions. I'm no expert on the pressures put on judges, but even today, European judges tended to prefer European skaters for stylistic reasons. I once read that not only Soviet-bloc judges but also any Germanic judges tended to support an East German skater--meaning West Germany and Austria. (Liechtenstein? Don't know if they had any judges.) So Witt was admirably placed in terms of era and geography (not to mention her talent and her extraordinary coolheadedness in competition) to retain her title.

But the bottom line was if you could execute decent figures, the Free Skate could do the rest. One didn't have to win figures. Just be in line with the results of figures. It was always exciting to see a skater win against the odds.

Nowadays, the SP, imo, does not have that excitement. A good Technical test with no PCs could do that. And the excitement of a Free Skate, or if you prefer an LP, would produce a memorable winner.

That's not true - Orser skated decent figures but ended up with two Silver medals. The first time, he won the short program and the long program. The second time, his figures had improved but he lost the long...

Politics still went a long way in helping a decent set of figures be placed highly.

^^^^^
    Well the odds were against him to cap the title while his freestyle was the best. And yes, it was far easier to play politics in Figures. Orser didn't have that on his side. One reason I like the CoP but do not like the abridged Long Program. The LP is oh so bland for me. Sur la plage, everyone looks the same.

Found Meissner's LP, it just wasn't labeled as such. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2Em0EogxA&

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3