Joubert aiming for Worlds podium | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Joubert aiming for Worlds podium

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Oda has been a Gold medal contender all season long. And any pregnancy news close to Worlds wouldn't stress him out this time.

Vener has done well but his COR win was more given circumstantially than earned. He subsequeant performances at the GPF and the Euro were not great. He hasn't done a quad combo yet so that could be iffy and hurting more than helping. But yes I understand he has better chances of landing on the podium with a best skate and some meltdowns at the top than the rest of the field.

In contrast, Joubert has pulled himself up late in the season, as has our current World Champion whose TES have been abysmal at times. Kozuka, OTOH has been up and down, but within the big league score range.

Oda's scores this season have not been all that great. I really think he needs the quad to land on the podium. Kozuka this season has passed him, moved ahead, so now Oda is Japan's #3 and I think that will hurt him a bit. Joubert got lucky at Euros that his SP score was as high as it was, and he only beat Verner by half a point there as it was, and that was a "pull up" performance for him and not a great showing for Tomas so I really think their chances are pretty much the same. Further, Tomas has been skating better this season as a whole, so he might be heavy edge to Joubert at this point, unless Joubert is totally clean with the quad combo in the SP. Joubert's silver at Euros was a triumph for him this season, while Verner's bronze (and total score half a point lower than Joubert) was a bit of a disappointment , so I'm not sure Joubert will even beat Amodio at Worlds.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
silverlake, my assessment of Joubert's chances is completely based on how judges have rewrded him historically. He's in a class by himself!

In fact I initially placed him near the bottom of the non-contenders list based on his poor showings and poor quads this season. Then I created a class for him just like the judges. :biggrin: This is about chances, not merits.

eta: As for Oda, he beat both Kozuka and Takahashi at the GPF, and, at the Nationals, the other head to head match up, he lost to Kozuka but beat Takahashi. Both times he led after the SP. Takahashi regained his mojo at the 4CC, winning over Kozuka but Oda wasn't there. Kozuka had the stella start but is losing some steam whereas Takahashi won both GP events with high PCS but poor TES, especially lucky with Oda handing him the Gold with poor CoP math at Skate America. Oda is the steady one of the three, never doing worse than Silver, which is fabulous except when he should have won Gold. With such record, it's hard to call Oda the 3rd Japanese Man, especially since he's never even come down to third this season.

Last edited:
Joubert never gave up even when he was faced with Plushenko. Nobody could have beaten Plushenko in his era. Joubert is a true sportsman, and a big wait an see what he can do. In fact, so many skaters are a wait-and-see. Btw, isn't age hitting on Takahashi?