Thread: Amodio to add quad to LP at Worlds

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Amodio to add quad to LP at Worlds

Florent AMODIO :Intégrer le quadruple aux Mondiaux de Tokyo

Maybe the Euro win boosts his confidence and he feels good about Japan where he started the season very well. He won Euro basically with his SP, coming 3rd in LP but others underperformed at either program. He sort of bombed at GPF while competing with the big leaguers so I don't know if he would hold up at Worlds facing those top guys again.

Custom Title
    He was lucky at Euros with Verner and Joubert both bombing the short and then the bombing or messy performances of Gachinski and Brezina. But at worlds you have Chan and the Japanese and the opportunity for succeeding without trying a quad should go down. He can't rely on the bombing of others to win events. He should try to reach for victories by maximizing his talents. So because he has tried quad salchows I guess he would try one of those but I don't know - he went a whole season so far not trying a salchow or a toe so I don't know what he is going to do and that article doesn't specify!!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    It would be better for him to try a Quad in the Short Program, IMO. Since he doesn't have a correct edge Flip, and since even a messy and underrotated Quad is worth a good amount right now, there's almost no risk in trying it for the SP. In the LP he should really just focus on skating clean. His program will lose effectiveness if it gets messy as a result of him being more tired and/or changing the layout he's been doing all year.

Custom Title
    Well, he might as well go for it. He's a big longshot for the podium at any rate, and if he wants to show that beating Joubert and Verner at Euros wasn't a fluke (which I sort of think it was, because they both had major issues in the SP and then both beat him in the FS even though neither was clean in that segment either), the quad is probably a good idea as both of them will be attempting quads. Also if Gatchinski and Brezina skate better than they did at Euros, they could easily end up ahead of Amodio and my guess is Florent doesn't want to end up in the middle of the pack of European guys at Worlds. So good luck to him.

Custom Title
    Florent is in Japan early. Wonder if he could practice that quad and how the quake affects him in general.

Custom Title
    4S<< with -3 GOE worths no more than a Double Lutz, can any reasonable person suggest this is "almost no risk in trying it for the SP"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Florent AMODIO :Intégrer le quadruple aux Mondiaux de Tokyo

Maybe the Euro win boosts his confidence and he feels good about Japan where he started the season very well. He won Euro basically with his SP, coming 3rd in LP but others underperformed at either program. He sort of bombed at GPF while competing with the big leaguers so I don't know if he would hold up at Worlds facing those top guys again.
    Considering the source of this announcement, which is FFSG, the cynical side of me thinks this is nothing more than a propaganda, nothing more. I do not believe Florent is ready to add a Quad in his program. FFSG is known to make this kind of grandiose announcement in hope to talk up their favorites, notice they too are the one who started the Joe Inman controversy just before Vancouver Olympics or proudly tell the whole world that Delobel/Scheonfelder would be skipping the 2010 Euros for "purely strategic reasons" but we know what happened now. Do you see Skate Canada proclaiming that Patrick Chan would be doing Quads in his programs through press release? No, this is not something they would do. We only find out what Chan will do through independent media or journalists, not in the form of federation press release. To me, this is a futile attempt to talk up Florent Amodio ahead of the Worlds - another case of a skater who needs a lot of off-ice help in order to compensate for the lack of substance in his actual skating whereas skaters with real substance need no such PR, see Chan, Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Considering the source of this announcement, which is FFSG, the cynical side of me thinks this is nothing more than a propaganda, nothing more. I do not believe Florent is ready to add a Quad in his program. FFSG is known to make this kind of grandiose announcement in hope to talk up their favorites, notice they too are the one who started the Joe Inman controversy just before Vancouver Olympics or proudly tell the whole world that Delobel/Scheonfelder would be skipping the 2010 Euros for "purely strategic reasons" but we know what happened now. Do you see Skate Canada proclaiming that Patrick Chan would be doing Quads in his programs through press release? No, this is not something they would do. We only find out what Chan will do through independent media or journalists, not in the form of federation press release. To me, this is a futile attempt to talk up Florent Amodio ahead of the Worlds - another case of a skater who needs a lot of off-ice help in order to compensate for the lack of substance in his actual skating whereas skaters with real substance need no such PR, see Chan, Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka.
    \

I think I see what you're saying about the French Fed talking up Amodio's adding a quad to make him look better to the judges. But he really might have to do one to be competitive.

Custom Title
    I gave some credibility to Florent's quad because Joubert attested to seeing him do it. However, doing one in competition is a whole other story. Has anybody ever debuted a quad or a 3A at the World championships?! Look what Chan had to go through to get his quads into his competitive programs. And that was the most accelerated progress there ever was by one of the most talented skaters ever. How many quad jumpers have been doing them for years and still don't have them reliably? At least some of them have learned to let neither a failed nor a successful quad affect the rest of their program, which also takes time and practice in competitions.

Quads are never without risk, especially in the SP where the ramifications could be severe.