Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amodio to add quad to LP at Worlds

Custom Title

Amodio to add quad to LP at Worlds

Florent AMODIO :Intégrer le quadruple aux Mondiaux de Tokyo

Maybe the Euro win boosts his confidence and he feels good about Japan where he started the season very well. He won Euro basically with his SP, coming 3rd in LP but others underperformed at either program. He sort of bombed at GPF while competing with the big leaguers so I don't know if he would hold up at Worlds facing those top guys again.

Custom Title
    He was lucky at Euros with Verner and Joubert both bombing the short and then the bombing or messy performances of Gachinski and Brezina. But at worlds you have Chan and the Japanese and the opportunity for succeeding without trying a quad should go down. He can't rely on the bombing of others to win events. He should try to reach for victories by maximizing his talents. So because he has tried quad salchows I guess he would try one of those but I don't know - he went a whole season so far not trying a salchow or a toe so I don't know what he is going to do and that article doesn't specify!!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    It would be better for him to try a Quad in the Short Program, IMO. Since he doesn't have a correct edge Flip, and since even a messy and underrotated Quad is worth a good amount right now, there's almost no risk in trying it for the SP. In the LP he should really just focus on skating clean. His program will lose effectiveness if it gets messy as a result of him being more tired and/or changing the layout he's been doing all year.

Custom Title
    Well, he might as well go for it. He's a big longshot for the podium at any rate, and if he wants to show that beating Joubert and Verner at Euros wasn't a fluke (which I sort of think it was, because they both had major issues in the SP and then both beat him in the FS even though neither was clean in that segment either), the quad is probably a good idea as both of them will be attempting quads. Also if Gatchinski and Brezina skate better than they did at Euros, they could easily end up ahead of Amodio and my guess is Florent doesn't want to end up in the middle of the pack of European guys at Worlds. So good luck to him.

Custom Title
    Florent is in Japan early. Wonder if he could practice that quad and how the quake affects him in general.

Custom Title
    4S<< with -3 GOE worths no more than a Double Lutz, can any reasonable person suggest this is "almost no risk in trying it for the SP"?

Custom Title
    ^^^^

Not to mention the damaging after shocks to the unforviging SP.

Custom Title
    Actually, I was being generous in my earlier statement. 4S<< with a completely botched landing will most likely get -3 GOE across the board. Judges are not forgiving at all towards skaters who try to put in Quad jumps that they are clearly not ready to do, see Takahashi's failed 4F attempt at last year's World, the judges hammered him hard on the GOE, I think almost all -3 GOE despite the fact he didn't fall. Now, if Florent's butt touches the ground in addition to being <<, that's another -1 mandatory deduction - the risk of falling on a failed Quad attempt is very high - the whole element will not worth more than a Single Axel, which is 1.1

Considering what other men would be doing and you bet a number of them will skate good SP, this one error is enough to knock him out of the running completely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Florent AMODIO :Intégrer le quadruple aux Mondiaux de Tokyo

Maybe the Euro win boosts his confidence and he feels good about Japan where he started the season very well. He won Euro basically with his SP, coming 3rd in LP but others underperformed at either program. He sort of bombed at GPF while competing with the big leaguers so I don't know if he would hold up at Worlds facing those top guys again.
    Considering the source of this announcement, which is FFSG, the cynical side of me thinks this is nothing more than a propaganda, nothing more. I do not believe Florent is ready to add a Quad in his program. FFSG is known to make this kind of grandiose announcement in hope to talk up their favorites, notice they too are the one who started the Joe Inman controversy just before Vancouver Olympics or proudly tell the whole world that Delobel/Scheonfelder would be skipping the 2010 Euros for "purely strategic reasons" but we know what happened now. Do you see Skate Canada proclaiming that Patrick Chan would be doing Quads in his programs through press release? No, this is not something they would do. We only find out what Chan will do through independent media or journalists, not in the form of federation press release. To me, this is a futile attempt to talk up Florent Amodio ahead of the Worlds - another case of a skater who needs a lot of off-ice help in order to compensate for the lack of substance in his actual skating whereas skaters with real substance need no such PR, see Chan, Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Actually, I was being generous in my earlier statement. 4S<< with a completely botched landing will most likely get -3 GOE across the board. Judges are not forgiving at all towards skaters who try to put in Quad jumps that they are clearly not ready to do, see Takahashi's failed 4F attempt at last year's World, the judges hammered him hard on the GOE, I think almost all -3 GOE despite the fact he didn't fall.
    It was "only" -1.6 GOE, not -3 across the board. Actually they made up for the "lost" points by two level 4 footworks and the huge PCS boost. If he has the confidence to stay the feet on the ice, it's more valuable than a beautiful 2A.

Custom Title
    Protocols for that event

All negative; three -1, four -2, two -3.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Protocols for that event

All negative; three -1, four -2, two -3.
    I stand corrected then, my memory failed me.

Custom Title
    I still think your point stands.

1. Risk of downgrade AND negative GOE
    2. The new rules regarding edge calls means that his lip isn’t heavily penalized.
    3. A solo quad out of steps is also difficult, and keep in mind he only upgraded his 3-3 combo this season.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    4S<< with -3 GOE worths no more than a Double Lutz, can any reasonable person suggest this is "almost no risk in trying it for the SP"?
    4S<< with -3 GOE is worth considerably more than a Double Lutz in the SP, because a 2Lutz would automatically get -3 GOE as well.

And why are you assuming Florent's Quad Salchow would be << ???? At most his 4Sal will be < . It's not like he hasn't been training the jump for years; his Salchow is strong. I don't think getting the rotation is a big problem for him on the jump, it's landing consistently. If he actually just plans to rotate the jump and not worry much about the landing, then he will receive a total of 6.5 points after the fall deduction for his Quad Salchow attempt...which is a couple points more than he gets for his wrong-edge Flip. If he manages to not fall, then 7.5 points (or more).

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    A solo quad out of steps is also difficult.
    You barely have to put any steps at all before the solo jump in the SP to fulfill that requirement. Judges do not crack down on much on delays between the steps and the jump either. The penalty for no steps is -GOE anyway. If Florent tries to just rotate the Quad Salchow and not worry so much about the landing and doesn't put any preceding steps at all, knowing that a rotated Quad with -3 GOE is worth a lot of points, then the "deduction" he would get for not having preceding movement would be minimal.

And thus we see yet another flaw in the current CoP rules.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 03-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Considering the source of this announcement, which is FFSG, the cynical side of me thinks this is nothing more than a propaganda, nothing more. I do not believe Florent is ready to add a Quad in his program. FFSG is known to make this kind of grandiose announcement in hope to talk up their favorites, notice they too are the one who started the Joe Inman controversy just before Vancouver Olympics or proudly tell the whole world that Delobel/Scheonfelder would be skipping the 2010 Euros for "purely strategic reasons" but we know what happened now. Do you see Skate Canada proclaiming that Patrick Chan would be doing Quads in his programs through press release? No, this is not something they would do. We only find out what Chan will do through independent media or journalists, not in the form of federation press release. To me, this is a futile attempt to talk up Florent Amodio ahead of the Worlds - another case of a skater who needs a lot of off-ice help in order to compensate for the lack of substance in his actual skating whereas skaters with real substance need no such PR, see Chan, Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka.
    \

I think I see what you're saying about the French Fed talking up Amodio's adding a quad to make him look better to the judges. But he really might have to do one to be competitive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast