Thread: ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

Hybrid View

Custom Title

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

Hi Guys,

ISU gave made a statement for Worlds regarding the recent earthquake. It seems the yoyogi stadium remains in order and will go ahead but they are in constant contact.

HOPE EVERYTHING IS OK!!

www.isu.org

Custom Title
    It seems the ISU has removed the communication from the website. What does that mean?

Custom Title
    It really seems inadvisable to me. Earthquakes have aftershocks, and they can be pretty strong. The recent quake in New Zealand was an aftershock, and it flattened parts of Christchurch. They may be rethinking their idea, and who could blame them? No one can make such an important decision within hours of an event like this.

Custom Title
    It seems to me that postpones the Worlds would be a good idea. Who could focus on competing it or enjoy watching it while all those devastating situations are so close to you?

Custom Title
    Tokyo is not so affected and Worlds is in 2 weeks when aftershocks would have ceased. As long as the city is functioning, the Championships could be welcomed as a respite and for economic benefit. Japan has such high hopes and possibilities of Worlds medals from their highly admired and adored skaters that the event and its results may be more than a distraction but also a morale booster and joyous inspiration.

I think Worlds might be postponed but not cancelled or moved.

Custom Title
    For a gigantic quake like this one, aftershocks can last for a decade or so. That doesn't mean that there is an aftershock every week but that they can come at anytime over quite a long period. Of course, Japan is used to little quakes happening often apparently, so maybe that will not be a big deal. Nevertheless, staging the Worlds competition within two weeks of one of the biggest quakes of the last 100 years seems a bit risky to me.