Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

Custom Title

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

Hi Guys,

ISU gave made a statement for Worlds regarding the recent earthquake. It seems the yoyogi stadium remains in order and will go ahead but they are in constant contact.

HOPE EVERYTHING IS OK!!

www.isu.org

Custom Title
    It seems the ISU has removed the communication from the website. What does that mean?

Custom Title
    It really seems inadvisable to me. Earthquakes have aftershocks, and they can be pretty strong. The recent quake in New Zealand was an aftershock, and it flattened parts of Christchurch. They may be rethinking their idea, and who could blame them? No one can make such an important decision within hours of an event like this.

Custom Title
    It seems to me that postpones the Worlds would be a good idea. Who could focus on competing it or enjoy watching it while all those devastating situations are so close to you?

Custom Title
    Tokyo is not so affected and Worlds is in 2 weeks when aftershocks would have ceased. As long as the city is functioning, the Championships could be welcomed as a respite and for economic benefit. Japan has such high hopes and possibilities of Worlds medals from their highly admired and adored skaters that the event and its results may be more than a distraction but also a morale booster and joyous inspiration.

I think Worlds might be postponed but not cancelled or moved.

Custom Title
    For a gigantic quake like this one, aftershocks can last for a decade or so. That doesn't mean that there is an aftershock every week but that they can come at anytime over quite a long period. Of course, Japan is used to little quakes happening often apparently, so maybe that will not be a big deal. Nevertheless, staging the Worlds competition within two weeks of one of the biggest quakes of the last 100 years seems a bit risky to me.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I have a feeling JSF, the country of Japan, and Japanese skating fans will want worlds to go on just as planned, and will move hell and high water (literally) to make sure it does.

Custom Title
    http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/201...nd-admiration/

The show will go on as planned. I think it will help them more than hurt.

Interestingly enough the US is advising its citizens not to travel to Japan - the warning is in affect until April 1.

Custom Title
    They won't cancel Worlds. In 1989 when San Francisco had their earthquake they only postponed the World Series for 10 days but then resumed. The damage here isn't even in the city hosting Worlds.

Rinkside
    The latest position of the ISU seems to be that they'll be pushing forward with the Worlds, regardless: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12711707

This is crazy! especially since that BBC is now reporting that the PM of Japan has declared a "nuclear emergency" in the country: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12711707

It's one thing to be concerned about the safety of all the skaters and their accompanying personnel, of the highest calibre and some of the best talents we've ever seen, but it's completely another to say we should all act completely normal, and put up this most amazing event in the figure skating world of the year in a country that has just been struck by the absolute worst natural disaster in its history. The country has declared the state of national emergency, including the nuclear emergency, and they haven't even started counting the accurate death toll, of those who are injured and who are currently missing. How is it even appropriate that the ISU is considering putting up the event at this very point in time in such a matter-of-fact tone? Whilst I appreciate the administrative needs in organising an international event such as this, aren't we supposed to put out thoughts and prayers together for those who are affected by this, first?

And let's not forget about the safety aspect of the matter, either. For example, US issued a travelling alert, advising not to travel to Japan until 1 April, given amongst others almost definitive eventualities of after-shocks. http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/03/1...er-earthquake/ -- What about the Tsunamis? What about the subsequent tremors that can last at least a month after the event?

For what it's worth, my thoughts go out to those who are deeply affected by this tragic event. RIP.

US news affiliates have reported a leak at one of the nuclear plants. It is not looking good for Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    US news affiliates have reported a leak at one of the nuclear plants. It is not looking good for Worlds.
    What I hear in Japanese NHK (national broadcasting agency) and BBC is that the government is preparing a controlled release of vapour from one of the nuclear power plants, which has ineffective cooling system, to bring down the pressure building up inside. The vapour could contain small amount of radioactive matters. They have assessed the wind direction and the fact local residents within the 3km diameter have already been evacuated, and concluded that this action, if carried out, would not cause any harm to people around it. I wonder if summarising the entire situation as 'a leak at the nuclear plant' can possibly be misleading - unless US source refers to another development I am not aware of.

Yes, the situation is difficult and could get worse, but at the moment, it seems to be under control.

Personally, I think it is too early to talk about the possibility of the Worlds cancelled or postponed or held as planned. I was there when a huge earthquake struck Osaka and Kobe in 1995, and the situation changed almost hourly, with more information gathered, assessments made, more aftershocks hitting, lots of hard work by emergency services / officials / laypersons done, expected and unexpected effects of all sorts (economic, political, social, physical, psychological, whatever) unravelled. We simply do not know how things will pan out just yet.

Custom Title
    mot, I do think the BBC/CNN coverage are focusing on worst case scenarios (an expert on CNN just stated that the worst case scenario, which was VERY remote, was of a Chernobyl style accident).

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Eleven reactors nearest the quake's epicenter automatically shut down upon sensing vibrations in the early hours of March 11. "Reactors shut themselves down automatically when something called 'ground acceleration' is registered at a certain point, which is usually quite small. It will instantly drop control rods into the [nuclear] core," Professor Tim Albram, a nuclear fuel engineer at the University of Manchester in the U.K., explained to the press.

Those control rods block neutrons from entering the core and inducing the fission reactions that produce nuclear energy. When the rods drop into the core, the heat put out by the nuclear fuel rods they surround plummets instantly, reducing the core's temperature to less than 5 percent of normal in a matter of seconds.

A base level of heat from nuclear decay continues to flow off the rods, however, and that's the problem in the Fukushima and Onagawa plants. Officials say they do not have enough electric power to pump water through the cooling systems and dissipate the extra heat. Water levels continue to drop.
    However, since the control rods are already dropped into the core, and there is no breach of the containment vessels, this is more of a headache for getting electrical power up and running than anything, and should have no effects on Worlds at all. Skaters (and spectators) were at worse risk breathing in Beijing, considering the air quality there.

"Even if fuel rods melt and the pressure inside the reactor builds up, radiation would not leak as long as the reactor container functions well," Tomoko Murakami, leader of the nuclear energy group at Japan's Institute of Energy Economics, told Reuters. Still, no one wants to take the chance.

The power plants are trying to restore power to its emergency power system in order to be able to pump water inside the reactors, a Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman said.
    Japan did the prudent thing to evacuate the area around the plants, but they're not trying to evacuate Tokyo, where Worlds will be held. Later reports will of course tell us more, and until we do hear more, it's too early to get too wired about it.

This is reminiscent of the last time they had an earthquake & fire at a nuclear plant in Japan a couple years ago-there was considerable chit chat in the press, but the net real result was the release of less radioactive material than is found in a bunch of bananas, due to the relatively high potassium concentration (for a food) found in bananas.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast