ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 41 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

It is easy enough to see what figure skating would be without music. Just turn down the volume. (Not that you can hear the music anyway, over the applause. :) )
Yes, it's kind of like what most skaters do. Don't bother me with that nonsense. I'm here for points. :p

seniorita

Record Breaker
While your words cannot be denied ;), the question is: would skating be more enjoyable for you without the artistic aspect?

No of course not, it wouldnt be more enjoyable without music. BUT the artistic aspect of figure skating for me doesnt come from the music choices but the athletes themselves. Maybe I wasnt clear before.

I just pointed out that even if fs as a sport has a soundtrack, it is still a sport that needs grace, rythm and the stregth to look effortless to produce something artistic - just as gymnastics need something more than jumping even if you think they dont use their music much or just as rythmics that needs more than flexibility to stand out.

If music is on mute I dont think certain skaters would be less graceful and artistic or on the other hand that all skaters would generate the same feeling or be same pleasant without their music. I m on the camp that enjoys gymnastics as much as skating for that reason.

I just give credit to athletes for the artistry and not so much the music alone, thats why I gave the example of an non so charismatic skater that she can use a great piece of music and you can get carried away that this is a great program but actually it is the music and not the skater herself that does it. In gymnastics you cannot do this, the program is too short, if you are clumpsy or heavy the music doesnt save you, there is no gliding on ice effect(olympia;)).

Something like: IF they added music to golf, I wouldnt find it more artistic if they hit the ball by Gershwin's sounds.

Happy birthday to senorita and Mathman! I want you both to know that our horoscope for the year calls for us to have real financial success this year; how I don't know, but the stars say so
:biggrin: It would definitely be nice.

It would be more than nice!!!I m practical, I stubbornly doesnt believe anything I cant prove, but if the stars say i ll be rich this year, I choose to believe it. :):hb:

Robeye

Final Flight
No of course not, it wouldnt be more enjoyable without music. BUT the artistic aspect of figure skating for me doesnt come from the music choices but the athletes themselves. Maybe I wasnt clear before.

...thats why I gave the example of an non so charismatic skater that she can use a great piece of music and you can get carried away that this is a great program but actually it is the music and not the skater herself that does it.
I understand now what you were trying to say, and I agree that the skater ultimately produces the artistry. :) The music, though, IMO is like the motor oil in a car; you may not think about it most of the time, but without it to smooth all the parts and gears, the program will stall.

But consider that the converse must then also be true: if the skater herself doesn't possess artistic talents and skills, then the most gorgeously awe-inspiring music will not be able to hide her deficiencies. There are a lot of examples of this, don't you think? Imagine a skater performing to a climactic Puccini aria while stumbling in her steps and wavering with her arms like a drunken sailor. The contrast with the beautiful music would only heighten the wretchedness of the moment ;).

^^^^
Well, there are no new steps (tricks) in the repertoire of figure skating due to the demands of CoP (no points) therefore a skater must use any means, not just artistic means, to win a competition which is the bottom line of why they are Senior skaters. The sport comes first!

But consider that the converse must then also be true: if the skater herself doesn't possess artistic talents and skills, then the most gorgeously awe-inspiring music will not be able to hide her deficiencies. There are a lot of examples of this, don't you think? Imagine a skater performing to a climactic Puccini aria while stumbling in her steps and wavering with her arms like a drunken sailor. The contrast with the beautiful music would only heighten the wretchedness of the moment ;).

You have to make the music work for you. In the Puccini scenario, you play it off as, "hey, you want nessun dorma, I'll give you nessun dorma. I've been up all night trying to find out this fool's name, of course I'm a little wobbly."

Sasha Cohen once fell out of her closing pose as Juliet. While sprawled awkwardly on her back she mimed taking poison, Then, collecting her wits, said, no I mean ... and she stabbed herself. (She won. :) )

I once watched one of Ann Patrice McDonugh's :love: full practices as Cio-Cio San. She ran through two endings several times, with and without suicide. One of her coaches said (I assume in jest), "yeah, if she misses that last triple Lutz, she's going to kill herself." (She didn't, and won the Skate America silver medal behimnd Michelle Kwan.)

In Alissa Czisny's exhibition skate at Four Continents she fell twice. Not to worry. She was doing You'll Never Walk Alone and both falls came on "though your dreams be tossed and blown." That way you can struggle to your feet and "Walk on....Walk on... with hope in your heart."

In any case, if there is beautiful music playing the audience can always just close their eyes.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Mathman said:
Sasha Cohen once fell out of her closing pose as Juliet. While sprawled awkwardly on her back she mimed taking poison, Then, collecting her wits, said, no I mean ... and she stabbed herself. (She won. )

Ahem....I beg to differ...Michelle Kwan won the fan vote, the only vote that counted at that "competition." Sheesh...and you call yourself a fan...;)

Alsace

On the Ice
In the Puccini scenario, you play it off as, "hey, you want nessun dorma, I'll give you nessun dorma. I've been up all night trying to find out this fool's name, of course I'm a little wobbly."

Of course, that's sung at the beginning of the night, and by the man who, of course, knew his own name, not by Turnandot. But, I quibble. :)

Robeye

Final Flight
You have to make the music work for you. In the Puccini scenario, you play it off as, "hey, you want nessun dorma, I'll give you nessun dorma. I've been up all night trying to find out this fool's name, of course I'm a little wobbly."

Sasha Cohen once fell out of her closing pose as Juliet. While sprawled awkwardly on her back she mimed taking poison, Then, collecting her wits, said, no I mean ... and she stabbed herself. (She won. :) )

I once watched one of Ann Patrice McDonugh's :love: full practices as Cio-Cio San. She ran through two endings several times, with and without suicide. One of her coaches said (I assume in jest), "yeah, if she misses that last triple Lutz, she's going to kill herself." (She didn't, and won the Skate America silver medal behimnd Michelle Kwan.)

In Alissa Czisny's exhibition skate at Four Continents she fell twice. Not to worry. She was doing You'll Never Walk Alone and both falls came on "though your dreams be tossed and blown." That way you can struggle to your feet and "Walk on....Walk on... with hope in your heart."

In any case, if there is beautiful music playing the audience can always just close their eyes.
:laugh: A good point. If you know that you're likely to be careening about like a drunken sailor, then the Jolly Roger anthem would help you max your PCS points. (But which then begs the question: why hasn't that anthem become a well-loved figure skating warhorse? :biggrin:)

There is always excerpted beautiful music in the background of Figure Skating to make the viewer ignore the lack of musicality in the feet of the skater. The use of ballet-like arms make it ever so artistic :rolleye:
yeah...:sheesh:

Few rise to the occasion. In my book it was Curry and Brownlee who show musicality and men in general are much better than the ladies who I pereive as posers of stories.

Last edited: