ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

skfan

Final Flight
I tend to be a worrywart, but in these circumstances I think that being a worrywart is the right approach to take. The situation is both agonizing and unstable, and the idea of anyone coming in to Japan to face risk at this moment seems impractical. Added to that the power blackouts, and it's not optimum conditions for the skaters to train and practice.

Doris, thanks so much for the detailed information about the nuclear facilities. Everyone else, thanks for any updates you've been able to find from the skaters and the organizations.

I know that nothing we say will have any bearing on the outcome, but it does help me to talk about it and to hear everyone else's ideas. This catastrophe is so hard to process.

thank you, olympia, for so often saying what i would like to, and so eloquently.

i really like what serious business said about how not holding the event at the scheduled time would be akin to 'donating power to the country', about not taking up precious electricity at this time. but how much electricity the competition would require vs. the possible uplift to the spirit, the message of still living the day to day life, even in the face of such daunting disaster, i don't know.

on the other hand, if i'm one of the displaced japanese citizens, coping with enormous hardships, might i not feel it's disrespectful of the goverment, of the ISU to carry on such an event at a time when the needs of the displaced aren't sufficiently served. of course it's not a one to one exchange, as if not holding the event will mean 45 more displaced people don't suffer hypothermia or hunger for 4 days. and as somebody else has pointed out, a brave and stoic people wouldn't likely voice such sentiments...

i, for one, won't second guess any decision made. and like olympia i check in here to hear other people talk, it's almost like having a support group to help me cope with the enormity of it all. in times like these even agnostics like me pray.

NMURA

Medalist
I'm just saying that the ISU has to be( or should be) concerned with providing a stable environment for the competition ( never mind Bern ) in order to ensure that the results will be fair to all. If the competition is likely to be disrupted by the building shaking, or stretched out due to blackouts, how can this be fair to the competitiors ? Even if nothing happened , the knowledge that something could easily happen at any moment would have to be unsettling to the athletes. Even as we all would love to see something happen to provide a lift to the people of Japan , the ISU would not be doing their duty by the athletes, if that was a deciding factor. And I don't know if enough reassurances can be given by tomorrow morning. ( But I doubt it )

I'm not saying "go ahead as planned". Postponing 2 weeks and moving the venue would be fine enough. At least, there's no power shortage and aftershocks in Osaka. Rinks and hotels can be arranged without much problems.

Reportedly, no planned outage was actually executed at this point. The Japanese citizens are behaving well.

skfan

Final Flight
Here is Philip Hersh's take on the subject complete with quotes from Shakespeare's Hamlet:-

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/03/tokyo-skating-disaster-too-soon-deaths-japan-earthquake.html

always nice to re-visit hamlet. thanks, phil. thank you oksanafan (great name, btw, especially if you mean the genius baiul :)

i thought the comment from the tokyo resident (PochinkoPotanko) who administers a figure skating forum very informative and persuasive. certainly the lifts the pairs carry out might well be too dangerous in light of the after shocks jarring the man, causing him to possibly drop his partner--someone else here made that point in regards to pairs and dance.

but what really struck me was what PochinkoPotanko said about how a japanese competitor might be viewed as insensitive if that person came across as somehow, overly exuberant...

i'm quoting PochinkoPotanko here:
"If any of the skaters smile and wave their bouqets on the podium, or even show a slight chuckle in K&C, I fear they will be bashed from society for being insensitive under the circumstances. "

that would be too cruel. i mean, if verner is being vilified (see other thread for GS) for 'should have known better'...

oksanafan

Match Penalty
If they postpone and relocate, instead of simply cancelling altogether, it seems like 4 locations are emerging as the favourites to host the event:-

1. South Korea (where they held the World Juniors just recently)
2. Bern, Switzerland (where they have just held the European Championships. Some have even mentioned Lausanne where the ISU is based (not sure about that one)
3. London
4. Vancouver (venue for last years Olympics)

I really can't see how Japan can realistically still hold the event given the tragedy and the risks. I think the championships should simply therefore be relocated and held 2 or 3 weeks down the line. The skaters have trained all year for the event and it would be awful for them if it were simply called off. Moreover, given the popularity of figure skating in Japan, the fact that the event would still be going ahead, even if its not in their own country, would be a tremendous morale booster for the country. Moreover, the championships can always be held again in Japan again in a couple of years time

I take the point raised earlier about how close Korea is to Japan and the risk of a nuclear meltdown. Hence, probably the most appropriate location would be Bern, Switzerland. Given that the ISU is based in Switzerland, the fact that the championships would be in Switzerland would make the task of reorganising the event for them a lot easier. Moreover, given that Bern has just held the European Championships, they would obviously be in a much greater state of readiness than anywhere else bar South Korea.

Last edited:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Although what Japan is currently experiencing is horrible, if Japan were to take gold in the Ladies and Mens events and maybe bring in another silver/bronze, it could be seen as a national victory and lift up the spirits of the Japanese people. It is really hard to know what to do, as the athletes have been working all season for this, and Mao and Miki both have great shots for world titles this year. It may be harder for Takahashi, Oda, and Kozuka because of the competition from Chan, but it is still possible. Miki and Daisuke stayed for this season BECAUSE worlds were to be held in Japan. I just don't know what the best option is here, but the worst one is canceling them all together. Maybe if they eliminated the QR and have everyone skate the SP and use that as the QR instead, Worlds could go on as this would push the schedule back a day. Or they could eliminate the QR AND move the event to April where the WTT is going to be to further condense the schedule. Either way, I would like to reiterate that canceling worlds is the wrong thing to do - it would devastate the Japanese skaters who wanted to bring glory to their home country, as well as skaters such as Miner and Bradley, where this could be their only/last chances.
Finally, I think that worlds should somehow be a fundraiser for Japan. Logistically, I don't know how this would work, but I think it's a good idea :)

wallylutz

Medalist
It's pretty obvious that Worlds cannot be held in Tokyo at this point. I don't think they will cancel the event, so hopefully they can find an alternative site soon.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Logistically, I don't know how this would work, but I think it's a good idea :)

That's a great idea. Just thinking about this, let's say Skate Canada went to a few really big businesses in Canada, companies of a global nature and reach, to sponsor the event in say Mississauga, Kitchener-Waterloo or London. These companies could pay the ice fees and venue fees and associated costs for the event. With costs covered, instead of selling tickets and making money, there would be a minimum donation level. 100% of donations could be given to disaster relief efforts in Japan - maybe the Red Cross or something like that.

NMURA

Medalist
It doesn't say three weeks. Read world championships beginning from 21th was postponed.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
It doesn't say three weeks. Read world championships beginning from 21th was postponed.

Thanks for the correction! Does it say the championships would still be held in Tokyo?

Can't wait for an official announcement from ISU.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks for the correction! Does it say the championships would still be held in Tokyo?

Can't wait for an official announcement from ISU.

Actually this headline only says the opening ceremony will be postponed.

eta Now there is an actual news article about Worlds being postponed but you need subscription to read it.

Figure skating: World championships in Tokyo to be postponed

Gee, I was able to read a couple of their other news without subscription.

Last edited:

SkateSkates

Medalist
I hope the ISU is in close contact with the competitors and coaches so training schedules and travel arrangements can be planned accordingly. I would hate to see someone miss out because they couldn't get a flight.