ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It's possible Cinquanta and the ISU isn't discussing even the consideration of a relocation right off the bat out of respect for the Japanese Skating Federation, whose representatives may be insisting that we should wait and see if Japan can host the championships after all. Or maybe there are rules I don't know about, or logistics issues that prevent relocating a World Championship so close to the planned date for it.

SXTN

Final Flight
No way Worlds will be held in Japan, sorry....

Earthquake, Tsunami and a possible nuclear disaster is too much.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
Here is another source for the idea that Worlds may be moved to a new location ... specifically, China or South Korea:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...e-worlds-fate-within-three-or-four-days-.html

Well done to Philip Hersh for finding out what is going.

Why the heck would rescheduling the Worlds in Canada "cause the ISU problems" - surely even that organization can put politics aside to serve the needs of the worlds dedicated skaters who so deserve to have a World Championship? Or was there some other reason for the " cause the ISU problems " comment?

According to Philip Hersh's piece, Skate Canada have definitely ruled out Canada hosting the event. My gut instinct remains that it will go to Lausanne. Appears as though Canada wants to keep the 2013 worlds in London, Ontario, and does not want that changed. I think that is what the reference to "cause the ISU problems" was related to

Last edited:
In view of the history between Japan and South Korea, not to mention the skating rivalry, I really hope they don't move Worlds to Korea. That would be an unnecessary blow right now. I wonder if Greenville or Spokane where recent US Nats were held would be possible. Both had great audiences (which can't be taken for granted in the US) and I don't remember hearing any complaints about the venues. I guess it's moot if the USFSA doesn't propose it themselves though.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I guess the question is whether any other country can slap together a venue on short notice. I don't think that's impossible.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
wallylutz.. the statement on the ISU Homepage includes this sentence,

" The postponment of the Event or alternatively the final cancellation is under evaluation ."

It can't be delayed indefinitely , but it's difficult to pull everything together in a short time . So taking their statement and Hersh's info together ,it seems to me the situation is that they have 3-4 days in which to find an alternative location (in order to hold the event within the next 3-4 weeks). If Japan should be able to give assurances of safety within those 3-4 days ( which seems extremely unlikely) it could go ahead there at a later date . If Japan can't , and no other feasible alternative appears in 3-4 days , they'll run out of time and the whole event will have to be cancelled.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110314/spm1103141755005-n1.htm
At the press conference on March 14th, the JSF vice-president K. Suzuki said there's no plan to relocate world championships to other countries. He also explained that finding a suitable venue in other places of Japan would be difficult. The procedure for refunding the tickets will be announced as soon as decisions are made.

http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/general/general/news/20110315k0000m050013000c.html
After the ISU's decision to cancel world FS championships in Tokyo, the JSF director on figure skating H. Ito said, although other options like postponement and relocation to other places are considered, the chances are not favorable. In effect, world championships in Tokyo is canceled.

Snoopy

Rinkside
The more I think of this situation, the more I think the event will be cancelled completely out of respect for Japan. What they are going through at the moment is becoming more horrendous and in comparison the World Championships is really not important.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Oksanafan ...setting the 2013 World's aside , we're going into hockey playoff season in Canada and it might be very difficult to get a suitable arena in time.

herios

Medalist
I guess the question is whether any other country can slap together a venue on short notice. I don't think that's impossible.

It is impossible on a short notice. Are you guys aware what does it take to organize such an event? Couple of months yes, couple of weeks, no.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
According to the following, the ISU vice president doesn't think relocating the event is possible. He seems to think holding it in Tokyo in 4-6 weeks is a more likely option (with the only other option to cancel):-

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/pjkwong/2011/03/switching-skating-venues-not-a-likely-option.html

However, Dore ignores the fact that it is still possible to hold a so-called 'no-frills' championship at another location. Why not? Its better than cancelling altogether

Last edited:

gottadance

On the Ice
It is impossible on a short notice. Are you guys aware what does it take to organize such an event? Couple of months yes, couple of weeks, no.

No doubt it would be a formidable task to have it moved to another location BUT this is a time when everybody in the figure skating world needs to rise to the occasion , put all their creative energy into this project and make it happen . What a great message it would send to the sports world in general and to those people who say figure skating is dead, if it could be pulled off. Certainly it wouldnt be a perfect event and many of the " trimmings " might have to be dropped but I refuse to beleive ,in this day and age, that it cant be done if everybody puts political differences to one side and focus' on this effort. We owe it to the skaters who have put a lifetime of work and sacrifice into their sport ( not to mention money ) to give this a 100% effort.

Snoopy

Rinkside
I like the idea of either waiting 6 weeks to see if Japan will be able to hold the event, or doing a no-frills event (possibly not even televised) just for the sake of the skaters.

Last edited:

sidwich

Rinkside
No doubt it would be a formidable task to have it moved to another location BUT this is a time when everybody in the figure skating world needs to rise to the occasion , put all their creative energy into this project and make it happen . What a great message it would send to the sports world in general and to those people who say figure skating is dead, if it could be pulled off. Certainly it wouldnt be a perfect event and many of the " trimmings " might have to be dropped but I refuse to beleive ,in this day and age, that it cant be done if everybody puts political differences to one side and focus' on this effort. We owe it to the skaters who have put a lifetime of work and sacrifice into their sport ( not to mention money ) to give this a 100% effort.

I really doubt that getting the skating community to pull together is much of an issue. I would think plain old logistics and operations are going to be the crux of the problem. The ISU will have to find not only a venue, but enough hotels WITH ENOUGH OPEN ROOMS in the immediate area for the skaters/coaches/families/etc., not to mention enough available transportation to move people around, volunteers to help run the event, and just plain old attendees. Since they're going to have to refund all the tickets for the Tokyo event, will enough people buy tickets to an event on a different continent that's likely at least a month later? Lots of people take time off and make plans to attend Worlds a year in advance. Many aren't going to be able to eat their original travel costs and take more time off and spend the money to get tickets and hotel rooms for an event somewhere else. I don't think the ISU can pay for Worlds without decent ticket sales. And those are the issues I can think of just off the top of my head; I'm sure there are a lot more things that would need to be pulled together really quickly that are just plain out of people's control. I would guess things aren't looking good for Worlds right now.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Certainly there are skaters there from the US who may never qualify for another worlds: in ice dance, ladies & men's because the field is deep, and in pairs, because US pairs seldom seem to stay together all that long.

I'm sure it would be easy to honor tickets that were sold for the Tokyo event, but the concern about hotels and airlines is real. If you bought trip insurance, you're OK, but if you didn't, will airlines give you any kind of a deal?

How about if you bought a package tour (like Dash tours or something). What is their refund policy?

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Really, where did Speedy used the words "may not happen"?

SB never quoted Cinquata as saying those exact words. He only took what Cinquata said to mean that moving the event is not a sure thing. i.e. it may not happen. That's what I understood, too.

I hope they can find an another location though. I know this is nothing compared to the devastation and tragedy that so many people are going through right now but I can't help but feel disappointed for the skaters, especially those who were probably going to worlds for the last time.

On the other hand, I wonder how the Japanese skaters are doing and how much this has affected their training. As far as I know the world team wasn't directly affected but I still wonder if it is somehow affecting their training, especially now, with the future of the event up in the air.

mot

On the Ice
SB never quoted Cinquata as saying those exact words. He only took what Cinquata said to mean that moving the event is not a sure thing. i.e. it may not happen. That's what I understood, too.

I hope they can find an another location though. I know this is nothing compared to the devastation and tragedy that so many people are going through right now but I can't help but feel disappointed for the skaters, especially those who were probably going to worlds for the last time.

On the other hand, I wonder how the Japanese skaters are doing and how much this has affected their training. As far as I know the world team wasn't directly affected but I still wonder if it is somehow affecting their training, especially now, with the future of the event up in the air.

Layfan, this is what I posted in the other figure skating forum, and I hope this gives you some idea about how Japanese skaters are feeling / doing. :)

All translated by me.

Comments by JSF officials:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000428260.html

Hidehito Ito (Head of the figure skating committee, JSF)
It was not that the Worlds was decided not to go ahead at all, so we are still hopeful. I understand it is very unlikely, but we'll find a venue if it is decided to go ahead.

Kei'ichi Suzuki (Vice President, JSF)
I believe the explosion happened in the nuclear power plant was the deciding factor. The ISU was worried about the radiation. (If they request the JSF to host the the Worlds at a latter date) it would be difficult, but we're willing to accept the request.

Additionally, some comments from Japanese coaches:

Nobuo Sato (Mao & Kozuka's coach)
It is the most problematic (that it is not yet decided whether it is cancelled or not). I have no idea how to adjust the training (for my skaters to peak at the right time). I need to think carefully how to do it, as I have never faced the situation like this before.

Machiko Yamada (Kanako's coach)
I do not know whether the Worlds will still be held or not. Competitors need the defined goal. I would like (the ISU) to set the deadline (for the decision to be made).

And skaters:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000428880.html

Mao Asada

I am thinking about the preciousness of life and praying for more lives to be saved in the midst of this very severe situation after the earthquake. As a competitor, I will carry on practising as normal, regardless of whether the Worlds will be cancelled or postponed.

Miki Ando
I will carry on practising as I have done throughout this season, and follow the decision to be made in the future. All I can do now is to practice and train well, so that I can help uplift the spirits of the victims of the earthquake and tsunami by my performance.

Takahiko Kozuka
Watching the news coverage between the practice sessions, I am feeling fear and deep pain in my heart. All I can do now is watching how the situation develops and preparing myself (for the competition).

Nobunari Oda
(who just arrived back from Canada)
Watching the news coverage on TV, I was thinking the situation would be too difficult to hold the competition. If the Worlds goes ahead, I will practice hard for it.

Daisuke Takahashi

All I can do now is to carry on practising, and monitor the situation. I hope we can collectively overcome the difficulties (that Japan's facing now) with the strength drawn from the solidarity.

Kanako Murakami

Although I would love to participate in the Worlds as it is my first time, I also feel that it is best to be cancelled. It will be emotionally hard for me if I do not know the new date for the competition.

* Some of skaters' comments are excerpts from the official comments published elsewhere. Refer to IMG's press release for Mao, Takahiko and Miki's comments in full (Japanese) https://www.imgjapan.com/news/?page=...l&nws_code=402, and Daisuke's official blog (Japanese) http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/sports/message/takahashi/ Daisuke's message in full is also available translated in English by a twitter who's been translating his tweets. http://twitter.com/D1sk61316eng

Jhar55

Medalist
When I go book thur Colonial Travel (not been able to for while) and their if remember right there was no refund after so many days of buying the package. But they did offer trip insurance in case something happen and you couldn't go. But in this case there may be an exception. But what about your airline tickets sure you can change your dates but is there a fee for that?
I'd think in honoring event tickets all they do is give you a seat in same area your original ticket was for if possiable or maybe just have open seating frist come first serve seating.

skfan

Final Flight
Layfan, this is what I posted in the other figure skating forum, and I hope this gives you some idea about how Japanese skaters are feeling / doing. :)

All translated by me.

Comments by JSF officials:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000428260.html

Hidehito Ito (Head of the figure skating committee, JSF)
It was not that the Worlds was decided not to go ahead at all, so we are still hopeful. I understand it is very unlikely, but we'll find a venue if it is decided to go ahead.

Kei'ichi Suzuki (Vice President, JSF)
I believe the explosion happened in the nuclear power plant was the deciding factor. The ISU was worried about the radiation. (If they request the JSF to host the the Worlds at a latter date) it would be difficult, but we're willing to accept the request.

Additionally, some comments from Japanese coaches:

Nobuo Sato (Mao & Kozuka's coach)
It is the most problematic (that it is not yet decided whether it is cancelled or not). I have no idea how to adjust the training (for my skaters to peak at the right time). I need to think carefully how to do it, as I have never faced the situation like this before.

Machiko Yamada (Kanako's coach)
I do not know whether the Worlds will still be held or not. Competitors need the defined goal. I would like (the ISU) to set the deadline (for the decision to be made).

And skaters:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000428880.html

Mao Asada

I am thinking about the preciousness of life and praying for more lives to be saved in the midst of this very severe situation after the earthquake. As a competitor, I will carry on practising as normal, regardless of whether the Worlds will be cancelled or postponed.

Miki Ando
I will carry on practising as I have done throughout this season, and follow the decision to be made in the future. All I can do now is to practice and train well, so that I can help uplift the spirits of the victims of the earthquake and tsunami by my performance.

Takahiko Kozuka
Watching the news coverage between the practice sessions, I am feeling fear and deep pain in my heart. All I can do now is watching how the situation develops and preparing myself (for the competition).

Nobunari Oda
(who just arrived back from Canada)
Watching the news coverage on TV, I was thinking the situation would be too difficult to hold the competition. If the Worlds goes ahead, I will practice hard for it.

Daisuke Takahashi

All I can do now is to carry on practising, and monitor the situation. I hope we can collectively overcome the difficulties (that Japan's facing now) with the strength drawn from the solidarity.

Kanako Murakami

Although I would love to participate in the Worlds as it is my first time, I also feel that it is best to be cancelled. It will be emotionally hard for me if I do not know the new date for the competition.

* Some of skaters' comments are excerpts from the official comments published elsewhere. Refer to IMG's press release for Mao, Takahiko and Miki's comments in full (Japanese) https://www.imgjapan.com/news/?page=...l&nws_code=402, and Daisuke's official blog (Japanese) http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/sports/message/takahashi/ Daisuke's message in full is also available translated in English by a twitter who's been translating his tweets. http://twitter.com/D1sk61316eng

thank you so much mot for the updates.

i've read elsewhere that many fans in japan wish strongly for the world championship to still occur, even if outside of japan, rather than canceling worlds, and were worlds to be canceled they would feel (IMO unjustified) guilt for possibly dashing the dreams of not just the athletes but of figure skating fans all over the world. i would like, if possible, to honor those fans' magnanimous wishes, which i'm sure coincide with those of many skaters and coaches who've trained all year for this event above all others.