ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

sorcerer

Final Flight
As I read the new ISU statement, WC and WTT won't be outside Japan.
Because it says that the realizations of these 2 events depend on the confirmation of the normal safety by the Japanese authorities.

I believe that ISU communique of 14 March mentions that postponement or cancellation is under evaluation. So there is no official decision as of yet. It is the ISU that has the power to postpone or cancel on the basis of the JF and other Japanese factors.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
Looks like the ISU are actively looking at moving the event to Europe in April. Apparently the German Paarlauf club has reported that 3 cities (probably Bern, Torino, and Malmo) have told the ISU that they can hold the championships in 4 weeks time. Hence, I think that all the signs are pointing to Bern holding the event in the 2nd or 3rd week of April.

herios

Medalist
Thanks for splitting the two, D. Will be much easier to follow discussions that way.

I second that. I got dizzy flipping back and forth between the two of them for the last 3 days. That is why I said from the getgo when I saw rhe second, it should have never been opened.

This is just an advice for all the posters, whenever you come across something new no matter how sensational, please check first the thread if there is not another similar title already opened.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Worlds should not be held in Tokyo at all this year. It is not fair to the athletes. They should look at finding a new location soon and if they cant just cancel it for this year altogether.

Snoopy

Rinkside
I think they should move the Worlds and give Tokyo the next available slot (prob. in a couple of years time). The country is only beginning to understand the damages and lives lost. They have more important things to worry about such as infrastructure and feeding/getting water to eveyrone who needs it. They shouldn't be worried about holding a sporting competition at this time.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Looks like the ISU are actively looking at moving the event to Europe in April. Apparently the German Paarlauf club has reported that 3 cities (probably Bern, Torino, and Malmo) have told the ISU that they can hold the championships in 4 weeks time. Hence, I think that all the signs are pointing to Bern holding the event in the 2nd or 3rd week of April.

Weren't they crucified for Euros though?

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I think they should move the Worlds and give Tokyo the next available slot (prob. in a couple of years time). The country is only beginning to understand the damages and lives lost. They have more important things to worry about such as infrastructure and feeding/getting water to eveyrone who needs it. They shouldn't be worried about holding a sporting competition at this time.

100% agree. I think Canada could host this event really quickly as well. London and Tokyo should just switch. The 2013 Worlds is a big one just before the Olympics, but under the circumstances, perhaps this is the right thing to do. Tokyo has a couple of years to recover, and could use the boost of hosting this event in the pre-Olympic year.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
Weren't they crucified for Euros though?

Yes - the criticism was that the rink was on the small side and the facilities were not that great. Apparently, they are talking about Switzerland - but holding it in Lausanne now not Bern

Last edited:

oksanafan

Match Penalty
100% agree. I think Canada could host this event really quickly as well. London and Tokyo should just switch. The 2013 Worlds is a big one just before the Olympics, but under the circumstances, perhaps this is the right thing to do. Tokyo has a couple of years to recover, and could use the boost of hosting this event in the pre-Olympic year.

There has been some talk about Canada, but apparently that would cause the ISU problems. Hence, the reason why its more likely to be somewhere in Europe - most likely Switzerland

gottadance

On the Ice
Why would Canada cause the ISU problems ???????

There has been some talk about Canada, but apparently that would cause the ISU problems. Hence, the reason why its more likely to be somewhere in Europe - most likely Switzerland

Why the heck would rescheduling the Worlds in Canada "cause the ISU problems" - surely even that organization can put politics aside to serve the needs of the worlds dedicated skaters who so deserve to have a World Championship? Or was there some other reason for the " cause the ISU problems " comment?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The ISU press release makes it sound like World Championships will either be held in Tokyo after a delay or not at all. Where are people getting the idea that they will hold it in an alternate location?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Here is another source for the idea that Worlds may be moved to a new location ... specifically, China or South Korea:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...e-worlds-fate-within-three-or-four-days-.html

Ignore Hersh's speculation. Straight from the horse's mouth of Cinquanta (no offense to horses), moving worlds to an alternate location may not happen out of "respect for the Japanese (and the fact that) it is not easy to move the championships.'' Cinquanta isn't outright saying no to relocation, but he's explaining why it may not happen.

wallylutz

Medalist
Ignore Hersh's speculation. Straight from the horse's mouth of Cinquanta (no offense to horses), moving worlds to an alternate location may not happen out of "respect for the Japanese (and the fact that) it is not easy to move the championships.'' Cinquanta isn't outright saying no to relocation, but he's explaining why it may not happen.

That's not what he was quoted saying, please don't put words in his mouth.

Cinquanta said:
Speaking to me exclusively by telephone from his home in Italy, Cinquanta said any thoughts of having the event at an alternate site must take into consideration ``respect for the Japanese (and the fact that) it is not easy to move the championships.''

Cinquanta told me the issue was not whether Japanese skating officials would consider it disrespectful to move an event they had spent so much time and money planning before knowing whether it might be possible to hold it in Tokyo sometime soon.

``This is the World Figure Skating Championships, not the Japanese Figure Skating Championship,'' Cinquanta said. ``(But) I must take into consideration respect for the Japanese no matter what we do.''

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I fail to see where SErious Business misquoted... seems to be teh exact same quote you both used.

The ISU press release makes it sound like World Championships will either be held in Tokyo after a delay or not at all. Where are people getting the idea that they will hold it in an alternate location?

I don't think it's an entirely farfetched idea. This situation is without precedent, obviously not just for figure skating. Record-level earthquake, huge tsunami, and ongoing nuclear crisis all at once? No one can realistically make a decision within three days of the onset of such a catastrophe. Whatever Cinquanta says today can't be based on conclusive research or even an understanding of the possibilities. It may be that in the next week or two, someone may figure out that moving the championships is more financially and logistically feasible than postponing them and holding them in Tokyo later this year. Or it may be that the Tokyo decision will prove to be the best choice. Or the Worlds may just be canceled. These are all still possibilities, because the situation is still so fluid--and so devastating. I wouldn't assume that the matter is settled today. Really, no aspect of this miserable situation can possibly be settled right now.