ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I think Japan is (sadly) completely out of the question,now..what with the radiation leak, which situation it's feared still could worsen. Other sports federations can't play fast and loose with the safety of their athletes.

If it can take place elsewhere , Japan will still see their athletes as heroes ,and have the boost of seeing them do well on TV. There can't be many countries ( I'd think the US would be one ) that could pull such an event off on short notice, so we should know soon.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
It's Tuesday afternoon here and I'm watching on TV and internet the situation in Japan, and reading between the lines...those reactors are nowhere close to being under control. I'm not sure the ISU can get enough clarity within the next few days to make any decision that keeps the W.C. in Tokyo. Theoretically, if a suitable venue was available, it might be possible to hold Worlds at Osaka or points west within Japan which might keep existing sponsors/TV happy, but I suspect there is now a lot of psychological resistance among the non-Japanese participants (incl national federation officials, judges, some skaters etc.) to going anywhere in Japan. In short--I don't see the ISU holding this event in Japan this year.

I think the US is likely a non-starter for emergency hosting due to arduous visa requirements...and unfortunately the US State Dept consular employees out in the field are unlikely to make special expedited dispensation for affected athletes/coaches/officials. They theoretically could, but in practice, they won't. Based on what other posters have said, Canada is not likely to want to be an emergency host. I think Korea could physically pull off an emergency hosting, and I'm sure China (Beijing) could also, as long as the will and the support is there from the government and from the top of the relevant sports authorities. I think there would be plenty of fans in the seats in either country--though that probably ought to be the least of the ISU's worries right now. I don't see security being too much of an issue in either of these countries, and knowing China, they could have several hundred volunteers ready to rock and roll in a week. I don't know about hotel space in the Korean cities, but Beijing has a ton of available rooms within reasonable distance of the likely venue. I'm not aware of much of anything going on at that (18,000 seat) venue until May 1. South Korea has a large number of visa-free entrants allowed and deals with visas where needed decently. China requires visas but can process them very fast and mostly painlessly. I don't know enough about the European options to have an opinion.

I guess I'm leaning towards the school of thought that says the ISU should try to hold the WCs somewhere if humanly possible, even if it is a stripped-down version focused only on the most critical elements necessary for competition, and jettison the frills. I'm also taking some cues from quotes by the Japanese contingent of skaters, who (except for Murakami) seem to be OK with the event going forward.

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
I really feel for Japan and its people and after the Earthquake and the following Tsunami they have to contend with their nuclear plant and its problems.

1) I really feel the ISU should move the venue, I am very surprised a federation has not stepped in for them to host the event, surely it is feasible if they can hold the Worlds say end of April, that gives them enough time, that way it gives skaters time to prepare.

2) If not then I feel (although I am for a Worlds this year) that is is just fair to cancel the whole thing and give time for the skaters to have a break and prepare for next season. I don't want this but it seems THERE IS NO WAY for JAPAN to hold the championships and feasibly yes not enough time for another venue to hold the championships.

3) Its a time for the world to unite and get Japan through this. I am so annoyed with those middle eastern countries still fighting with all this going on, they have NO RESPECT.

From the gist of the threads, it doesn't seem we have any compassion for the Japanese Government and its People? It seems the only concern at this time, is what is going to happen to the 2011 World Championship competition.

There are no new Reports from Lauserne today so far. If anyone knows of any decisions of the ISU, please announce them soon. It still remains the decision of the ISU to cancel the Championship or to organize a new venue very quickly or even later this year. They should do it soon, and that will become official. Hopefully, we do not get pages and pages of 'it should have been held in whatever city'.

Personally, I think it should be cancelled.

I really feel for Japan and its people and after the Earthquake and the following Tsunami they have to contend with their nuclear plant and its problems.
Finally, someone with a bit of compassion .

I think it should be cancelled, and show some respect for Japan. It could be reinstated later in the year, and let the ISU decide that.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
There is a very interesting viewpoint on all this, posted on fsuniverse entitled "Japanese fans wish Worlds not to be Cancelled." Worth a read.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Finally, someone with a bit of compassion .

I think it should be cancelled, and show some respect for Japan. It could be reinstated later in the year, and let the ISU decide that.

Why should the Championships be cancelled in their entirety?

From the gist of the threads, it doesn't seem we have any compassion for the Japanese Government and its People? It seems the only concern at this time, is what is going to happen to the 2011 World Championship competition.

I don't think that's true, Joe. I know I've been torn up by it, and I assume that pretty much everyone else here has as well. We talk skating because it's the only part of the crisis that we can wrap our minds around. Everyone has been touched by this disaster, because the world has become very small.

Being skating fans is the factor that has drawn many of us even closer to the people of Japan, because we feel so linked to Japanese skaters and their coaches, and because several of our members are Japanese living either there or in other countries. John Donne's words have never been so true as they are now: no man is an island...any man's death diminishes me."

Snoopy

Rinkside
Part of me thinks the event should be cancelled, but on the other hand, I started to think about NY after 9/11 (apples and oranges, I know) but I remember the Yankees competed in the World Series a month after those tragic events and it was very uplifting and still important to New Yorkers. I know skating is very popular in Japan and many of their skaters are contenders, so in that respect, I think it might be good for Japan ... but obviously the devastation of what his happening over there is more important than figure skating. The whole thing is heartbreaking.

russell30

Final Flight
MAY THEIR RED SUN ON THEIR FLAG RISE AGAIN AND GET THROUGH THIS TRAGEDY AND PLEASE GOD THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH, NO NUCLEAR TRAGEDY PLEASE

This is a skating thread, all of us on here are there for the Japanese people and has Olympia pointed out that the talk of the skating somehow gets you through it and we are here for the skaters.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Of course we all feel very sad about the disaster in Japan, and are grieved for the suffering the Japanese people are enduring. How could we not feel this way? Yet, life can--and must--go on. In a way, it's a reminder to try to make the most of each moment we have. For the skaters, this means having the chance to perform their best in the culmination of a year's training at Worlds. I feel very strongly that canceling Worlds would be terribly unfair to the skaters who have worked so hard all year for this event. I do not see how canceling Worlds helps the people of Japan in any way. On the contrary, if Worlds is held and the top Japanese skaters skate, this may help lift spirits and morale in Japan, in a small way.

Also, as a practical side note, I have not heard of any other major sporting events being canceled, or government events, or anything like that. Why should figure skating be any different?

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I am also of the view that there is no reason to CANCEL the world championships. I really don't see any justification for that. It should be moved or postponed. Problem solved. Also, I am certain that barring any further disaster (god forbid), Tokyo will be in a good shape to host any international event, including the Worlds, in a matter of few weeks or a few months.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am also of the view that there is no reason to CANCEL the world championships. I really don't see any justification for that. It should be moved or postponed. Problem solved. Also, I am certain that barring any further disaster (god forbid), Tokyo will be in a good shape to host any international event, including the Worlds, in a matter of few weeks or a few months.

Radiation levels in Tokyo were just reported to be 10 times above normal. And there was just another big 6.1 aftershock.

Problem solved :think:

Cincuanta was ready to go ahead despite the tragic loss of life until the first report started about the problems with the reactors. I doubt if Cincuanta wants to get anywhere near this at the moment and who can blame him?

Much time is needed and I think ISU/JSF should consider a memorial event for the vitimcs a few months from now.

Why should the Championships be cancelled in their entirety?
Many of the Japanese Athletes (not the fans of particular skaters) are seeing their country in devestation; and are torn between winning a medal and their pride in Japan - not easy.

I just see fans of skating from wherever only interested in what they want without compassion. The venue can be changed, but the pride of Japan can not. The fans of skating have not lost the sport, but how many people have been lost forever because of the tragedy?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If Worlds were to be held, it has to be soon, say in 4 weeks. China and Korea should be out of the question for much of the same reason Japan is out of the question - radiation concerns. The direction of people's travels should be away from, not towards, the potential ground zero.

Hoping and praying for safe resolutions, and supreme appreciation and gratitude for those brave souls working on such resolutions.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
To Compete, or not compete - that is the question!! Anyone with any sense would realize now is the time to focus on the devastation that has taken place in Japan not on a skating competition. I am sure the skaters are likely upset but their safety is worth more. Surely the Worlds could be moved to another venue - Canada has enough rinks from coast to coast to host another Worlds. We just had the Olympics here in Vancouver. I am sure Vancouverites would love another Sports event.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Many of the Japanese Athletes (not the fans of particular skaters) are seeing their country in devestation; and are torn between winning a medal and their pride in Japan - not easy.

I just see fans of skating from wherever only interested in what they want without compassion. The venue can be changed, but the pride of Japan can not. The fans of skating have not lost the sport, but how many people have been lost forever because of the tragedy?

if you would look around you will see THREE threads on this subject here at Golden Skate. The one in Le Cafe is more on the personal side and not the skating side. You're reading a whole lot of something out of words on a page. You should know by now that you cannot get true feelings from a message board post.

I don't think that's true, Joe. I know I've been torn up by it, and I assume that pretty much everyone else here has as well. We talk skating because it's the only part of the crisis that we can wrap our minds around. has been touched by this disaster, because the world has become very small.

Being skating fans is the factor that has drawn many of us even closer to the people of Japan, because we feel so linked to Japanese skaters and their coaches, and because several of our members are Japanese living either there or in other countries. John Donne's words have never been so true as they are now: no man is an island...any man's death diminishes me."
Olympia -
I am a big fan of John Donne, and those chosen words are soooo appropo here.

I am of the small ilk, that is awaiting the ISU decision. I couldn't care less about hoogotdaquad, and neither of the world's non-fans of FS care about the championship. I am sure the Japanese athletes are caring for their country moreso than for one championship.

While I prefer cancellation, I am not against a later venue in another location. If another venue were decided by the ISU, I am sure many posters would object to the new locale - and the beat goes on.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
if you would look around you will see THREE threads on this subject here at Golden Skate. The one in Le Cafe is more on the personal side and not the skating side. You're reading a whole lot of something out of words on a page. You should know by now that you cannot get true feelings from a message board post.

Agreed, Toni. Joe, if you read the other threads, you will see that they 1. all exhibit compassion towards the Japanese people and 2. Only this thread became the "what will happen to Worlds" thread.

Please go here not only for news on what is happening in Japan, but for stories of people who are surviving, helping, etc:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...anese-Earthquake-Tsunami-and-Nuclear-Reactors