Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Certainly there are skaters there from the US who may never qualify for another worlds: in ice dance, ladies & men's because the field is deep, and in pairs, because US pairs seldom seem to stay together all that long.

I'm sure it would be easy to honor tickets that were sold for the Tokyo event, but the concern about hotels and airlines is real. If you bought trip insurance, you're OK, but if you didn't, will airlines give you any kind of a deal?

How about if you bought a package tour (like Dash tours or something). What is their refund policy?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-14-2011 at 03:39 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Really, where did Speedy used the words "may not happen"?
    SB never quoted Cinquata as saying those exact words. He only took what Cinquata said to mean that moving the event is not a sure thing. i.e. it may not happen. That's what I understood, too.

I hope they can find an another location though. I know this is nothing compared to the devastation and tragedy that so many people are going through right now but I can't help but feel disappointed for the skaters, especially those who were probably going to worlds for the last time.

On the other hand, I wonder how the Japanese skaters are doing and how much this has affected their training. As far as I know the world team wasn't directly affected but I still wonder if it is somehow affecting their training, especially now, with the future of the event up in the air.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    SB never quoted Cinquata as saying those exact words. He only took what Cinquata said to mean that moving the event is not a sure thing. i.e. it may not happen. That's what I understood, too.

I hope they can find an another location though. I know this is nothing compared to the devastation and tragedy that so many people are going through right now but I can't help but feel disappointed for the skaters, especially those who were probably going to worlds for the last time.

On the other hand, I wonder how the Japanese skaters are doing and how much this has affected their training. As far as I know the world team wasn't directly affected but I still wonder if it is somehow affecting their training, especially now, with the future of the event up in the air.
    Layfan, this is what I posted in the other figure skating forum, and I hope this gives you some idea about how Japanese skaters are feeling / doing.

All translated by me.

Comments by JSF officials:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000428260.html

Hidehito Ito (Head of the figure skating committee, JSF)
    It was not that the Worlds was decided not to go ahead at all, so we are still hopeful. I understand it is very unlikely, but we'll find a venue if it is decided to go ahead.

Kei'ichi Suzuki (Vice President, JSF)
    I believe the explosion happened in the nuclear power plant was the deciding factor. The ISU was worried about the radiation. (If they request the JSF to host the the Worlds at a latter date) it would be difficult, but we're willing to accept the request.

Additionally, some comments from Japanese coaches:

Nobuo Sato (Mao & Kozuka's coach)
    It is the most problematic (that it is not yet decided whether it is cancelled or not). I have no idea how to adjust the training (for my skaters to peak at the right time). I need to think carefully how to do it, as I have never faced the situation like this before.

Machiko Yamada (Kanako's coach)
    I do not know whether the Worlds will still be held or not. Competitors need the defined goal. I would like (the ISU) to set the deadline (for the decision to be made).

And skaters:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000428880.html

Mao Asada

I am thinking about the preciousness of life and praying for more lives to be saved in the midst of this very severe situation after the earthquake. As a competitor, I will carry on practising as normal, regardless of whether the Worlds will be cancelled or postponed.

Miki Ando
    I will carry on practising as I have done throughout this season, and follow the decision to be made in the future. All I can do now is to practice and train well, so that I can help uplift the spirits of the victims of the earthquake and tsunami by my performance.

Takahiko Kozuka
    Watching the news coverage between the practice sessions, I am feeling fear and deep pain in my heart. All I can do now is watching how the situation develops and preparing myself (for the competition).

Nobunari Oda
    (who just arrived back from Canada)
    Watching the news coverage on TV, I was thinking the situation would be too difficult to hold the competition. If the Worlds goes ahead, I will practice hard for it.

Daisuke Takahashi

All I can do now is to carry on practising, and monitor the situation. I hope we can collectively overcome the difficulties (that Japan's facing now) with the strength drawn from the solidarity.

Kanako Murakami

Although I would love to participate in the Worlds as it is my first time, I also feel that it is best to be cancelled. It will be emotionally hard for me if I do not know the new date for the competition.

* Some of skaters' comments are excerpts from the official comments published elsewhere. Refer to IMG's press release for Mao, Takahiko and Miki's comments in full (Japanese) https://www.imgjapan.com/news/?page=...l&nws_code=402, and Daisuke's official blog (Japanese) http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/sports/message/takahashi/ Daisuke's message in full is also available translated in English by a twitter who's been translating his tweets. http://twitter.com/D1sk61316eng

When I go book thur Colonial Travel (not been able to for while) and their if remember right there was no refund after so many days of buying the package. But they did offer trip insurance in case something happen and you couldn't go. But in this case there may be an exception. But what about your airline tickets sure you can change your dates but is there a fee for that?
    I'd think in honoring event tickets all they do is give you a seat in same area your original ticket was for if possiable or maybe just have open seating frist come first serve seating.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    Layfan, this is what I posted in the other figure skating forum, and I hope this gives you some idea about how Japanese skaters are feeling / doing.

All translated by me.

It was not that the Worlds was decided not to go ahead at all, so we are still hopeful. I understand it is very unlikely, but we'll find a venue if it is decided to go ahead.

I believe the explosion happened in the nuclear power plant was the deciding factor. The ISU was worried about the radiation. (If they request the JSF to host the the Worlds at a latter date) it would be difficult, but we're willing to accept the request.

It is the most problematic (that it is not yet decided whether it is cancelled or not). I have no idea how to adjust the training (for my skaters to peak at the right time). I need to think carefully how to do it, as I have never faced the situation like this before.

I do not know whether the Worlds will still be held or not. Competitors need the defined goal. I would like (the ISU) to set the deadline (for the decision to be made).

And skaters:

Mao Asada

I am thinking about the preciousness of life and praying for more lives to be saved in the midst of this very severe situation after the earthquake. As a competitor, I will carry on practising as normal, regardless of whether the Worlds will be cancelled or postponed.

Miki Ando
    I will carry on practising as I have done throughout this season, and follow the decision to be made in the future. All I can do now is to practice and train well, so that I can help uplift the spirits of the victims of the earthquake and tsunami by my performance.

Takahiko Kozuka
    Watching the news coverage between the practice sessions, I am feeling fear and deep pain in my heart. All I can do now is watching how the situation develops and preparing myself (for the competition).

Nobunari Oda
    Watching the news coverage on TV, I was thinking the situation would be too difficult to hold the competition. If the Worlds goes ahead, I will practice hard for it.

Daisuke Takahashi

All I can do now is to carry on practising, and monitor the situation. I hope we can collectively overcome the difficulties (that Japan's facing now) with the strength drawn from the solidarity.

Kanako Murakami

Although I would love to participate in the Worlds as it is my first time, I also feel that it is best to be cancelled. It will be emotionally hard for me if I do not know the new date for the competition.

* Some of skaters' comments are excerpts from the official comments published elsewhere. Refer to IMG's press release for Mao, Takahiko and Miki's comments in full (Japanese) https://www.imgjapan.com/news/?page=...l&nws_code=402, and Daisuke's official blog (Japanese) http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/sports/message/takahashi/ Daisuke's message in full is also available translated in English by a twitter who's been translating his tweets. http://twitter.com/D1sk61316eng
    thank you so much mot for the updates.

i've read elsewhere that many fans in japan wish strongly for the world championship to still occur, even if outside of japan, rather than canceling worlds, and were worlds to be canceled they would feel (IMO unjustified) guilt for possibly dashing the dreams of not just the athletes but of figure skating fans all over the world. i would like, if possible, to honor those fans' magnanimous wishes, which i'm sure coincide with those of many skaters and coaches who've trained all year for this event above all others.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post

All translated by me.

And skaters:

Mao Asada

Miki Ando

Takahiko Kozuka

Nobunari Oda

Daisuke Takahashi

Kanako Murakami

Thanks, Mot. It's as I feared. Of course, every skater must be having to deal with the uncertainty but for the Japanese it must be particularly wrenching. Still, it seems like the gist is that they want it to be held, except for Kanako. Whatever happens, I guess.

ETA: This just in from Hersh. Sato and Dungjen talk about dealing with the uncertainty and say Alissa is hoping it will happen. Check out the last quote from the ISU VP. Doesn't bode well.

Last edited by Layfan; 03-14-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Really, where did Speedy used the words "may not happen"?
    where did Serious Business say that he did? They quoted the same quote you did, and then brought in their own two cents just like everyone else has.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    mot, Thank you so much for the translation of the statements of the Japanese team. My thoughts are with them, you, and everyone else in Japan now.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Logistically it's a nightmare..even beyond rinks ,hotels,travel..then we get on down the line to security, volunteer staff..what about visas for the skaters,coaches, judges..we can say forego TV , but the income from that helps pay for the event..

Dore may be right...

Custom Title
    Sorry - I have deleted the whole post as the situation is changing rapidly in Japan as I write and what I originally wrote seems morally inappropriate.

Doris, thank you very much for your kind thought. Very much appreciated.
    Last edited by mot; 03-14-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Custom Title
    Adding my thoughts to the melee:

It shouldn't be held, nor will I watch if it is, the last thing on my mind these past few days has been skating. Been too busy watching the coverage of the biggest disaster to hit Japan since WWII. My thoughts and prayers have been with them, like the young girl today that was sitting all alone by herself, amongst debris, crying, most likely orphaned.

But since this is a figure skating board, I will say that there isn't enough *time*, simple as that. Yes, life goes on, but My God give them enough time to recover, a month isn't enough time. Even the one that changed venues a few years ago took 6 mos. to organize. And this doesn't even take into account the skaters themselves, whom are trained to peak at the right *time*, not a month later. Not to mention other obligations they may have (e.g. skating with a tour). And the psychological effects to foreign skaters that have never experienced an earthquake before can be mind numbing, they didn't grow up in a country that experiences earthquakes as an every day part of life. In fact I recall Madame Tarasova's words a little more than a year ago about how hard it was for her to travel to Japan, the long train rides and the earthquakes that would wake her up during the middle of the night played havoc with her health.

This isn't even over yet, it's an ongoing situation all the way around, including the nuclear reactors, more aftershocks (actually earthquakes in & of themselves), rolling blackouts to save energy, rescue & recovery teams, iodine pills being handed out though that isn't a guarantee of protection against long-term effects, and coffins and body bags being donated from all over the world because Japan has run out of them, not to mention their crematoriums have also been overtaxed, one town can only cremate 18 bodies a day, which isn't enough. The dead number in the thousands...

If it was up to me I would cancel the World Championships all together, but reschedule it again in the same location, venue, et al next year. In fact there is a precedent for this, 1961, that's exactly what they did.

Custom Title
    I would hope they can find another venue and have a WC this year - though I think outside of Japan.

Has there been any talk of having them in Taipei - in the same venue as the 4CC? To me it seems not to far and should be able to get ready fairly quickly. Of course I have no idea what else is going on in Taipei or at the venue.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post

i've read elsewhere that many fans in japan wish strongly for the world championship to still occur, even if outside of japan, rather than canceling worlds, and were worlds to be canceled they would feel (IMO unjustified) guilt for possibly dashing the dreams of not just the athletes but of figure skating fans all over the world. i would like, if possible, to honor those fans' magnanimous wishes, which i'm sure coincide with those of many skaters and coaches who've trained all year for this event above all others.
    are you serious? thousands of people don't have houses anymore... i think they have bigger issues than mao's 3A or miki's 3-3 at the moment.

NO WORLDS this year. as someone said already.. you cannot just relocate this whole event within 4 weeks.

and if it happened in tokyo there would be neither audience nor competitors. half of the japenese audience could not even make it to the arena because of infrastructure or death or the tsunami washed away their tickets... the audience from oversee cancel their flights because of the nuclear risk and half of the competitors do too. so it will be japanese national championships round 2 with 10 people clapping in the audience.

Custom Title
    I think World should be held in Japan as planned. Everyone's involved want to compete. There will be no shortage of people coming to cheer for the event. It will be something that cheer up the people in Japan.
    For those who kept on saying security might be a problem. It might be chaotic, but your *** will be safe. They will not knock you out and rob your dollar. Good god, get a grip of the situation.
    if it happened in tokyo there would be neither audience nor competitors. half of the japenese audience could not even make it to the arena because of infrastructure or death or the tsunami washed away their tickets... the audience from oversee cancel their flights because of the nuclear risk and half of the competitors do too. so it will be japanese national championships round 2 with 10 people clapping in the audience.
    Only a selected few competitors said they might not come. Most will come. The rink will be full. Tsunami washed away their tickets? How many tickets did you think were washed away? Nuclear risk is there, but ISN'T in TOKYO. Not sure what you get out of fear mongering, but for god sake, stop spewing ridiculous statements like this.

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast