Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

Custom Title
    In terms of the tsunami and even the earthquake, Tokyo is far from the disaster area, with much credit to its preparedness, e.g. its building codes. In terms of nuclear radioactivity, Tokyo is extremely close to the two nulcear plants in question.

It's not just nuclear explosions such as the atomic bombs or the Chernobyl incident that are immensely dangerous. Any exposure to nuclear radiation will have severe lingering health effect often passed on to the future generations. The disastrous effects of Chernobyl is well known but in the US, the effect of so called depleted uranium deployed in the Middle East by both Presidents Bush's military, are deliberately obscured, even denying the suffering of the returned veterans, when even their wives report being burnt by their semen! Just google "depleted uranium". While cancers and birth defects in far away land may be ignored, the depleted uranium is being wind blown all over the world and it will take billions of years to actually deplete.

There is nothing funny about radioactivity leaks or explosions. I'm not trying to alarm anyone but nuclear safety cannot be overemphasized. In fact, I'm hopeful on new nuclear technology, such as the meltdown proof pebble-bed nuclear technology in China and possible backyard nuclear cells to come. Of course, great strides are being made in other ways of generating or garnering energy. The Japanese plants in question are far from the Chernobyl design but I believe are still relatively old models with much better and added precautions against disasters such as just happened.

I hope and pray it is a good system and all dangers are controlled and contained and such good news will be confirmed soon.

Custom Title
    Hopefully they will find a way to contain the nuclear reactor problems and finally be able to cool them down. Once the reactors are shut down, however, it will probably be quite some time before they can be started again. As I've been reading in the papers, you can't plan for earthquakes of magnitude 8.9, nothing anywhere in the world is designed to resist that size earthquake according to seismologists on TV. In any event, I suspect the Worlds competition will have to be postponed or moved. In addition to all the problems relating to the disaster, Japan has been rocked with 180 aftershocks in the past two days and this will likely continue for sometime. I don't know how ice skaters can skate with the earth shifting under them.

Custom Title
    Do we want a World Championships event where skaters have perfect excuses for their falls?

(My bit of black humour in time of tragedies and uncertainties.)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The Fukushima facilities are about 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, which is not extremely close.

The prevailing winds, somewhat more to the point, blow west to east, which is also favorable to having minimal effects in Tokyo. I expect that the facilities are where they are because of this fact.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I dont care if Worlds will be held anymore.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Yep. I want to see more skating, but I have to physically stop myself from crying when I see those images.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I'm starting to not want them to be in Japan, out of concern for the skaters, even though I was being a diehard fan and hoping they would continue as planned yesterday. In my naivete I thought maybe everything would clear up in a couple of days, but I guess not.

Custom Title
    There wouldn't a real World Championships unless all, especially the athletes' parents, can be assured of the safety when and where it is held. The young skaters are precious children to their parents who would definitely put their foot down against sending them to any risk even if the youngsters are foolhearted themselves.

Custom Title
    I think the championships should be delayed for a month. It doesnt make sense to hold the championships as scheduled, when many federations will not send their competitors. That would be not a real world championship!
    Last edited by MagicFairy; 03-12-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Would they have a whole month to delay? Many of these skaters will be under contract to skate in shows..

Now a second reactor at the Fukushima plant could be going south..and no-one can blame skaters & their parents for having concerns. Never mind the possibility of continuing aftershocks ( even those that might not threaten life and limb )disrupting the competition.

I particularly feel for the Japanese athletes..

Custom Title
    I cannot see them delaying it for a month. A more realistic possibility would be to change the venue. I am not sure if this can be done.

I think of this as a definite wait and see.

As others have mentioned, aftershocks will be bigger than some primary earthquakes. The tremors can be felt miles away. A friend of mine was in Tokyo and felt the shaking. While the building codes are quite stringent, each additional strong shake is a threat to the weakened infrastructure.

Although the odds of an outright nuclear disaster is likely low, we really don't know if another nasty aftershock will set back efforts to shutdown the reactors and/or install the cooling systems that have been knocked out.

Logistically, a delay would be pretty hard on everyone. The athletes have been training to peak now. The extended training time will hurt some and help others. It's a big mental shift. Also, all the travel plans and schedules would need to be modified, as well as plans for any show committments. Even moving to a different location would be logistically complicated.

However, the most important matter should be the safety of the skaters, coaches, other personel and their families. THe stress of competition is enough. They shouldn't have to worry about the increased physical dangers and risks.

Sure a disaster can occur anywhere at anytime, but Japan is in a higher danger period now than normal [for them].

Custom Title
    Here's live streaming of NHK news in English.
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

People seem to be frantically working to stop the meltdown.

I feel so sorry for the skaters who have worked so hard to prepare for this event. And my heart goes out for foreign skaters who are already in Japan. They must have the most scary experience of their life.

I am just praying for tunami victims on the northern pacific coasts. About 300 miles of the entire coasts and cites were attacked by tunami again and again.
    10000 people were missing in one city. In some area, 5000 houses under water. 200,000 evacuated, but there is lack of food, water and blanket.It is so hard to assess the damage at this point, but it will surely increase.This is the catastrophe of the unbelievable proportion.

The topic of figure skating seems to be a little inappropriate in this type of tragedy.
    However, if worlds is put off a few month and held in the safe environment, it may provide pleasant distraction for Japanese people.

Custom Title
    Thank you for the NHK link! I was watching CNN and they are getting on my nerves. It seems that they prefer to sound sensational rather than reasonable and objective, especially while discussing the problems at the nuclear plants.
    I feel so so sorry for Japan and its people, the earthquake, tsunami, explosion at the nuclear station, its just too much and its not even over yet.
    And I really couldn't care less about the world championship at this point, this is probably the most unimportant thing right now, whatever ISU decides I'll accept.
    It would be nice however if the conditions will be satisfactory to still hold it in Japan, even with a delay. I agree it will be good for the local people to help them move on.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Yep. I want to see more skating, but I have to physically stop myself from crying when I see those images.
    I know what you mean, Pogue and Seniorita. It's so heartbreaking to see what's happened, and the thought that more aftershocks could come just adds to the distress. It would be great to see a skating event take the Japanese people's minds off their tragedy, but it might not be feasible right now, at least not in Tokyo. I have to say that if the Championships do go on, my heart will be in my mouth the whole time.

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast