Thread: Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships

Hybrid View

News Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships

Golden Skate spoke with skaters from all over the globe to hear what they have to say about the tragedy, how they are handling their preparations for the competition, and often, messages to their Japanese fans who have so generously supported them throughout their careers.

More

Custom Title
    I was very moved to see how many of the skaters mentioned hearing from and trying to reach out to not only Japanese skaters but Japanese fans. It makes me realize what a vital link the skating community is between people in so many corners of the world. I am proud to be even a tiny part of such a community. Thanks so much for posting this.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Meryl and Charlie gave an interview to IN, and they are hoping to help with organizing a Skate for Japan benefit.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    All the skaters sound so mature and compassionate. I'm proud of them. I wish we could hear from Mao, Miki, Yu Na, Patrick, Dai and some of the other podium contenders.

OT: I was amazed to hear that S/S in Germany can't train after late March due to financial issues. I can't comprehend it in such a rich country.

Custom Title
    From a former skater and fan in the UK, Thank you Sinead for such a lovely and caring interview.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Paula, thanks so much for posting the skater's comments and what the ISU is thinking about Worlds.

take off the oven mitts
    Richard Dornbush for president What an articulate and thoughtful young man. I found Pechalat's and Sinead Kerr's interviews to be especially moving, but every skater interviewed... wow, so mature and thoughtful. Caro with her postponed surgery and all...

I am glad that through facebook and other means of modern communications many of the skaters have been able to give back some of the love and support Japanese fans have given them, a small bit of beauty in midst of tragedy.

Thank you. I am so proud of our skating community.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    All the skaters sound so mature and compassionate. I'm proud of them. I wish we could hear from Mao, Miki, Yu Na, Patrick, Dai and some of the other podium contenders.
    Patrick did tweet before:

@Pchiddy:

My thoughts are with the people in Japan, and the losses that have ocurred from this horrific natural disaster.
    1:59 AM Mar 13th via web

Although mine is only one voice, I would like to express my support.
    1:59 AM Mar 13th via web

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post

OT: I was amazed to hear that S/S in Germany can't train after late March due to financial issues. I can't comprehend it in such a rich country.
    In case you haven't come accross it, this is the post I made in another thread, translating comments made by the Japanese skaters, who were due to skate in the Worlds.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ht=#post556556

Custom Title
    Message from Johnny to Japanese figure skating fans.

http://www.jsports.co.jp/notice/notice_110318.html

This was sent to J-Sports, a Japanese broadcaster who were to invite Johnny as a special commentator for Men's event.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Thanks for the posts and reposts, mot and SkateFiguring. The skating world really feels like a community these days. Johnny's note is very moving.

With all this talk about Worlds proceeding this spring, I wonder about the pressures on the Japanese athletes in the atmosphere of fear and suffering. It sounds like they are ready to try to lift their nation's spirits. God give them wings!