Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    So impressed by how philosophical Patrick is for such a young age! Kudos to him.
    Last edited by mot; 03-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    All the skaters sound so mature and compassionate. I'm proud of them. I wish we could hear from Mao, Miki, Yu Na, Patrick, Dai and some of the other podium contenders.
    Patrick did tweet before:

@Pchiddy:

My thoughts are with the people in Japan, and the losses that have ocurred from this horrific natural disaster.
    1:59 AM Mar 13th via web

Although mine is only one voice, I would like to express my support.
    1:59 AM Mar 13th via web

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    All the skaters sound so mature and compassionate. I'm proud of them. I wish we could hear from Mao, Miki, Yu Na, Patrick, Dai and some of the other podium contenders.

OT: I was amazed to hear that S/S in Germany can't train after late March due to financial issues. I can't comprehend it in such a rich country.
    In case you haven't come accross it, this is the post I made in another thread, translating comments made by the Japanese skaters, who were due to skate in the Worlds.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ht=#post556556

Custom Title
    Message from Johnny to Japanese figure skating fans.

http://www.jsports.co.jp/notice/notice_110318.html

This was sent to J-Sports, a Japanese broadcaster who were to invite Johnny as a special commentator for Men's event.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Thanks for the posts and reposts, mot and SkateFiguring. The skating world really feels like a community these days. Johnny's note is very moving.

With all this talk about Worlds proceeding this spring, I wonder about the pressures on the Japanese athletes in the atmosphere of fear and suffering. It sounds like they are ready to try to lift their nation's spirits. God give them wings!

Custom Title
    Besides being supremely talented and hard working, the elite skaters we know and love are most of all young people with hearts not quite so jaded. Theirs is a close community, their rivals sometimes being thier closest friends. To most of them, fans' support and appreciation is a prime motivation greatly appreciated in turn. Japan is currently one of the most significant skating nations, providing us with both some of the best skaters of today and the most enthusiastic fans in the world. The current tragedies in Japan must have really shaken up all competitive skaters. They have to deal with all kinds of emotions, concerned about their friends, fans and disaster victims as well as the uncertainties about their training and the last and most important competition of the year. They are skaters. They need to skate. Skating is their life and what they do. I say let them skate, in Worlds and in any fundraising event. That is how they can express themselves, how they can try to lift the spirits of their loving fans many of whom are going through extremely difficult time, and how they can give themselves and contribute to the recovery effort in Japan with their hearts and talents.

I have hoped and continue to hope the World Championships 2011 will proceed with a reasonable delay so these young caring talented people can go out to do their best with added intensity and purpose. Worlds 2011 will be a very special and emotional event in figure skating history. The practical and financially focused older generation running the ISU should not deprive the real hearts and souls of the sport and their fans.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ITA and I signed the petition - yet even so, I think for the Japanese skaters to compete at Worlds right now could be overwhelming. I hope it all turns out exactly the way you put it with all of them rising to the occasion, like Rochette at the Olympics.

Medalist
    When will SPEEDY'S REIGN BE OVER? Thanks in advance for the answer.

any comments by Dai, Nobi, and Taka? They seem to be the ones hurting most.

Custom Title

Nobu's interview at his graduation

Nobunari Oda graduated from Kansai University today and gave a short interview to the college newspaper. http://www.boom-sports.com/archives/51969179.html

(My translation below)

- congratulations on your graduation.

N: Thank you. I am happy that I have graduated, but over all I've got a mixed feeling (as it took place) at a time like this.

- Were you teary (during the ceremony)?

N: No, I was OK.

- Were you originally planning to attend the graduation ceremony today?

N: The Worlds was going to be held around this time, but I was told it has been postponed and it would not be held in April either. So my family, coach and wife are all at home now.

- What was the most memorable thing happened while you were at uni?

N: The Olympics. I spent 6 years, a very long time at the university. I learned there are a lot to learn. I am sure whatever I learned during my university days will be useful, and I would like to make the most of them in my life.

- What made you decide to do post-grad?

N: I am not sure what I am going to do in the future (after retiring from competitive skating). So, for now, I would like to continue skating and study at the graduate school, and then figure out what to do. I am thinking of studying something related to figure skating.

- About the Worlds in March being cancelled...

N: I continue practising in Japan, while being in close contact with my coach in Canada. The Worlds has been postponed, but I do what I can do for now. I think it was inevitable it was cancelled.

- Are you thinking about doing something for those who are affected by the disasters, such as being involved in charity events?

N: Of course. All skaters feel like doing something. What we want to do is to thread those feelings together to make things happen.

- I am sure the Worlds in Tokyo meant something special for you...

N: It did. But I understand it is difficult to hold it in Tokyo right now.

- No concrete decision's been made whether there is going to be the Worlds...

N: I am keeping a good form. I will be OK no matter when the Worlds is rescheduled to.

- If it is to be held in October, that will affect the next season's programmes...

N: Even so, I will work together with my coach, and prepare myself to give my best performance then.

---

Joesits, please refer to http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ht=#post556556 for other Japanese skater's comments.
    Last edited by mot; 03-19-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Congrats to Oda on his Graduation. Nice to hear some good news as life goes on amidst the turmoil in Japan.

Thank you mot for the translation, much appreciated.

Custom Title

Team Japan would like to hold a charity show

According to Japanese broadsheet Asahi, Team Japan are considering holding a charity show.

http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/0...103190004.html

(Translated by me)

Figure skater Takahiko Kozuka confirmed that he and other Japanese skaters due to participate in the World Figure Skating Championships, which was to be held in Tokyo but cancelled due to the earthquake, have been considering holding a charity ice show and organising a campaign to collect donations. He attended the graduation ceremony at Chukyo University in Nagoya today.

After the earthquake, he contacted Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi and others in Team Japan to discuss, as a figure skater, what they can do to help and uplift the spirits of those who are affected, and they confirmed that they'd like to be involved. Details are to be firmed up.

As for the rescheduling of the World Championships, which is under consideration, he stated that he could not comment until the official decision is announced, but he would continue practising and preparing for it.
    Last edited by mot; 03-19-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistry View Post
    When will SPEEDY'S REIGN BE OVER? Thanks in advance for the answer.
    Cinquanta was re-elected without opposition in 2010 to his fifth four-year term. So he will serve until 2014, at which time he will be 74. As far as I know the ISU does not have any term limits or age provisions. Mr. C. has not said anything about retiring.

Cinquanta also serves on the International Olympic Committee. Members of that organization age out at 80.

Nice to hear about the Japanese Men. Interesting what Taka had to say about rescheduling Worlds. I am sure that is what all the skaters are feeling. Armchair critics just have to wait for something official.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Nice to hear about the Japanese Men. Interesting what Taka had to say about rescheduling Worlds. I am sure that is what all the skaters are feeling. Armchair critics just have to wait for something official.
    They all say similar words because that's what they can say, which does not necessarily reflect all their feelings. The fact that they all keep themselves ready for Worlds tells me they wish for it to happen, and not in October, cynicism about which is not only obvious and logical to deduce but has also been expressed by some skaters, however resersedly and diplomatically.

Fans, that's us, don't have to be so reserved and diplomatic in speaking up and having their collective back. We can lend a voice and credence to their genuine wishes. Charlie White has applauded Scott Russell's article and some actual participants in the sport have signed the petition while none of the skaters explicitly supports the idea of Worlds in October. They say they await and prepare for ISU's decision because that's all they can say and do.

Kudos to skaters for taking the initiative to do what they can and want to do - skating and helping. They don't need Speedy's decision and approval to act on their true desires to do their part in this tragic and distressed time by doing what they do best.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast