Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships | Golden Skate

Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships

Golden Skate spoke with skaters from all over the globe to hear what they have to say about the tragedy, how they are handling their preparations for the competition, and often, messages to their Japanese fans who have so generously supported them throughout their careers.

More

I was very moved to see how many of the skaters mentioned hearing from and trying to reach out to not only Japanese skaters but Japanese fans. It makes me realize what a vital link the skating community is between people in so many corners of the world. I am proud to be even a tiny part of such a community. Thanks so much for posting this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meryl and Charlie gave an interview to IN, and they are hoping to help with organizing a Skate for Japan benefit.

All the skaters sound so mature and compassionate. I'm proud of them. I wish we could hear from Mao, Miki, Yu Na, Patrick, Dai and some of the other podium contenders.

OT: I was amazed to hear that S/S in Germany can't train after late March due to financial issues. I can't comprehend it in such a rich country.

russell30

Final Flight
From a former skater and fan in the UK, Thank you Sinead for such a lovely and caring interview.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Paula, thanks so much for posting the skater's comments and what the ISU is thinking about Worlds.

skfan

Final Flight
Richard Dornbush for president :) What an articulate and thoughtful young man. I found Pechalat's and Sinead Kerr's interviews to be especially moving, but every skater interviewed... wow, so mature and thoughtful. Caro with her postponed surgery and all...

I am glad that through facebook and other means of modern communications many of the skaters have been able to give back some of the love and support Japanese fans have given them, a small bit of beauty in midst of tragedy.

russell30

Final Flight
Read the article on Alissa's thoughts, she is so special. I am proud for the US that they have a great lady as champion, so philosophical and diplomatic and very much understanding.

She is right up there with Yamaguchi, Kwan IMO Nikodinov too

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the GS article and links - all were very thoughtful and compassionate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan's ready when the world is

The competition was supposed to be held in Tokyo from March 21 to 27, but the recent earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan have changed plans. Although rescheduling the world championships is a pressing concern for the International Skating Union, Chan said the bigger issue is the well-being of those affected by the devastating disasters.

"I'm just concerned about the Japanese skaters and citizens and my friends that live in Japan. So right now, my thoughts are with them," Chan said.

Chan said that waiting for the international competition to happen tests an athlete's ability to adapt to any given situation.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
All the skaters sound so mature and compassionate. I'm proud of them. I wish we could hear from Mao, Miki, Yu Na, Patrick, Dai and some of the other podium contenders.

Patrick did tweet before:

@Pchiddy:

My thoughts are with the people in Japan, and the losses that have ocurred from this horrific natural disaster.
1:59 AM Mar 13th via web

Although mine is only one voice, I would like to express my support.
1:59 AM Mar 13th via web

mot

On the Ice

OT: I was amazed to hear that S/S in Germany can't train after late March due to financial issues. I can't comprehend it in such a rich country.

In case you haven't come accross it, this is the post I made in another thread, translating comments made by the Japanese skaters, who were due to skate in the Worlds.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...AKE-FOR-WORLDS&p=556556&highlight=#post556556

Thanks for the posts and reposts, mot and SkateFiguring. The skating world really feels like a community these days. Johnny's note is very moving.

With all this talk about Worlds proceeding this spring, I wonder about the pressures on the Japanese athletes in the atmosphere of fear and suffering. It sounds like they are ready to try to lift their nation's spirits. God give them wings!