Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    They all say similar words because that's what they can say, which does not necessarily reflect all their feelings. The fact that they all keep themselves ready for Worlds tells me they wish for it to happen, and not in October, cynicism about which is not only obvious and logical to deduce but has also been expressed by some skaters, however resersedly and diplomatically.

Fans, that's us, don't have to be so reserved and diplomatic in speaking up and having their collective back. We can lend a voice and credence to their genuine wishes. Charlie White has applauded Scott Russell's article and some actual participants in the sport have signed the petition while none of the skaters explicitly supports the idea of Worlds in October. They say they await and prepare for ISU's decision because that's all they can say and do.

Kudos to skaters for taking the initiative to do what they can and want to do - skating and helping. They don't need Speedy's decision and approval to act on their true desires to do their part in this tragic and distressed time by doing what they do best.
    Or maybe Kozuka really doesn't want to say anything?

I agree with SkateFiguring. First, the suggestion that fans should just sit quietly and wait for the ISU to tell us "officially" what we ought to think -- nuts to that.

Second, I have not read even a single skater say that he or she wants Worlds to be postponed until October. A few (Charlie White, Alissa Czisny) have come right out and said that they don't like this option, while the majority have said diplomatically only that they will continue to prepare for any eventuality.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I hope mot and other Japanese fans will keep us posted on the Japanese skaters' benefit and how we can help. This is an example of the kind of pressure I mean. They are trying to stay in shape for a possible Worlds somewhere and also to help their country in more material ways. God bless them. I guess it would be harder NOT to do something in this situation.

Custom Title
    We don't know whether silence of some or many skaters regarding the Worlds in October is either diplomacy or evidence of trust they have in their federations and / or the ISU. Perhaps they think there are other issues involved in the health of the sport which is beyond their own immediate interests or even comprehension? Or they may be just very careful not to upset someone they should not upset. Both interpretations are possible. We simply don't know and we cannot speak for the silent skaters.

Nonetheless, it doesn't mean that we fans cannot voice our opinions and preferences.

My attitude is - as I acknowledge my own ignorance on the complexity of how to organise and hold the Worlds and what are at the stake, I decide to trust the JSF and ISU and leave the decision to them. If they decide to relocate the event somewhere in Europe, I will dig deep and try to go and see it. If it's to be held elsewhere, I will cheer in front of TV. If it's to be cancelled all together, I will weep for a few days then start looking forward to the next season.
    Last edited by mot; 03-19-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    My attitude is - as I acknowledge my own ignorance on the complexity of how to organise and hold the Worlds and what are at the stake, I decide to trust the JSF and ISU and leave the decision to them. If they decide to relocate the event somewhere in Europe, I will dig deep and try to go and see it. If it's to be held elsewhere, I will cheer in front of TV. If it's to be cancelled all together, I will weep for a few days then start looking forward to the next season.
    Actually, I agree with that, too. As much as we might wish for the ISU to roll up its sleeves make like little engine that could, they know their own limitations.

If Cinquanta says that under the circumstances the ISU is not capable of getting a championship together in a reasonable time frame, then we have no choice but to believe that indeed it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistry View Post
    When will SPEEDY'S REIGN BE OVER? Thanks in advance for the answer.
    when members of teh ISU vote him out. So far no one's really wanted to see that happen in their inner circles.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    Mot, that's a very good way of putting it. In many ways, this is a no-win situation. Nothing will be as good as Worlds on the 20th in Tokyo would have been, with people in Sendai and Miyagi sitting in their tidy living rooms watching on TV or computer, and the quiet ocean murmuring outside. Every other possibility is a loss. But we have only the other possibilities. Whatever happens will have to be the step forward that we hope for. Somehow skating will recover. Baseball and football have had strikes and recovered, despite all the asterisks in the record books. What really matters is that Japan recover sooner rather than later.

Now, if we fans want to complain about the situation or support one solution or another, there's nothing wrong with that. As we've said before, this is something we can wrap our minds around. Have at it, fellow fans! Dissent is healthy. We know we'll support the skaters no matter what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree with SkateFiguring. First, the suggestion that fans should just sit quietly and wait for the ISU to tell us "officially" what we ought to think -- nuts to that.

Second, I have not read even a single skater say that he or she wants Worlds to be postponed until October. A few (Charlie White, Alissa Czisny) have come right out and said that they don't like this option, while the majority have said diplomatically only that they will continue to prepare for any eventuality.
    Can you back this up with evidence or is it just hearsay? Did Czisny and White suggest what they really wanted?

Do you really think that the Heads-of-Federations are not sayingg anything directly to the ISU on what he should decide?

What is it about a rush decision which is so important? Are we sure that there will be TV involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Can you back this up with evidence or is it just hearsay? Did Czisny and White suggest what they really wanted?
    um, Joe, yes they did. There are many links in this and the other threads with their comments. I believe Alissa's was in her website's journal, and Charlie White's was on twitter and in the press.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Alissa commented to Phil Hersh.
    [url]http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/03/cizisny-moving-worlds-best-option-skaters.html[/url]

Here is an interview with Yuka Sato from this morning's Detroit Free Press (Jo-Ann Barnas).

[url]http://www.freep.com/article/20110320/SPORTS17/103200491/Yuka-Sato-s-plans-hold-while-Japan-recovers[/url]

It's very honest. I loved her quote about being detached for teh skating, and it sounds like Jason has been great for their skaters as well as her (just by the thank god for Jason comment). Praying her family continues to stay safe during all of this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is an interview with Yuka Sato from this morning's Detroit Free Press (Jo-Ann Barnas).

[url]http://www.freep.com/article/20110320/SPORTS17/103200491/Yuka-Sato-s-plans-hold-while-Japan-recovers[/url]
    Thanks so much, Math. I was wondering how her family was. She's been one of my favorite skaters since her amateur career; such beautiful posture and bladework, so smooth across the ice--and by all accounts a very nice person as well. In other words, she has all the requirements to make me a fan for life! I'm relieved to hear that her parents (whom I also admire) are safe. I certainly sympathize with her lack of sleep. I don't have relatives in Japan, and for a few days last week, I could hardly sleep. I watched the news and the online sites obsessively. Imagine someone who is waiting for word about friends or relatives right now! Almost unbearable.

Custom Title
    Possibly the first charity ice show held since the earthquake - the exhibition gala of All Kyushu Figure Skating Championships, held in Fukuoka in the southern island of Kyushu on March 19 and 20, was turned into a charity event in support of those affected by the earthquake and tsunami.

The following skaters appeared as special guests to support the cause: Miki Ando, Kensuke Nakaniwa, Yasuharu Nanri, and Takahito Mura.

Miki happened to be in Fukuoka when the earthquake struck, as Team Morozov was holding the training camp there (not sure if she's still staying there or not, but it's probable as she wouldn't have any other rink booked for her). Takahito Mura is based in Nagoya, so I believe he travelled especially for the event. Nanri and Nakaniwa are based in Kyushu, though they have retired this year.

Custom Title
    Messages from Evan, Pang / Tong, Shae-Lynn and Yuka Sato, who are regular cast of Friends on Ice (the ice show organised and produced by Shizuka Arakawa) in Japan.

[url]http://www.friendsonice.com/[/url]

I translated Yuka's message;

Yuka Sato

I think of how fearful you all feel after the disasters. I spend everyday filled with sadness, watching the news here in America. I pray for more people to be confirmed safe and for Japan's quick recovery and resurgence.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast