If World's are cancelled, is Yu Na finished? | Golden Skate

If World's are cancelled, is Yu Na finished?

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
If Worlds are cancelled this year, Yu Na will have missed a complete season of competing and performing. Without competing, she would get no GP assignments for 2011-2012, which would mean her next competition of significance would be the 2012 Worlds, two years since herlast competition.

Is she finished with competition and ready to entertain?

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
You don't need to compete at the previous Worlds in order to get Grand Prix assignments. Kim's ISU Ranking is high enough that she could get two, but I don't how likely she is to continue. Weird...if Worlds is cancelled, will we never see her new programs if she retires? She could show them at an ice show, but that wouldn't be the same.

Krislite

Medalist
Provided we hear a definitive statement from the ISU within a few days, we'll hear soon enough what her plans are. But everyone's plans, not just Yuna's, will be in limbo if the ISU drags its feet on the matter for several weeks. There are many other skaters on the verge of retirement.

As for Yuna herself, I think one of the reasons she is still competing is because she wants to secure spots for Korea's skaters at Worlds. She may even be contractually obligated to compete at Worlds until 2012, but that's an unconfirmed rumor. If Worlds is canceled, she may simply perform her new programs first at her upcoming shows and then in the next season (2011-2012). In any case I don't see her retiring yet, simply because I do believe she's serious about helping secure spots for Korean skaters, even possibly for the Soichi Olympics, which means we might actually see her at the 2013 Worlds.

This unprecedented disruption to the current season is going to set back everyone. The upcoming season itself is uncertain if the ISU is serious about Worlds in October.

seniorita

Record Breaker
with all respect to Yuna there are skaters in much worse situation than hers if Worlds are cancelled,and yet still it is not that dramatic conclusion of finished

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Who knows? Maybe Yu Na will welcome the extra prep time. Maybe she'll decide to just do shows?

Just like all the other skaters, Yu Na is in a sort of limbo right now.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Sk8boi clarified in his post that he's asking if Yuna will be finished with competitive skating, not very dramatic and an entirely plausible question. She may have retired for good after this Worlds anyway. I'd say it's entirely possible that if Worlds 2011 is canceled we'll never see her compete again. Let's hope for her and all the other skaters' sake that the ISU sees sense and moves Worlds to another country soon.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think more likely it is Miki Ando who is finished if Worlds this year is cancelled.

She said she's taking next season off, but from what I have heard, she intends to compete again in 2012-2013 and try to make the team for Sochi. So I don't think she's done done, but Yuna maybe.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Regardless what she might say now I would bet money you wont see Ando back after this season. It is not like she would have any chance of winning a medal in 2014 so I wouldnt see her coming back for that. I think she just stayed on because Worlds were in Japan. Kim on the other hand I expect to go to 2014.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Regardless what she might say now I would bet money you wont see Ando back after this season. It is not like she would have any chance of winning a medal in 2014 so I wouldnt see her coming back for that. I think she just stayed on because Worlds were in Japan. Kim on the other hand I expect to go to 2014.

I see the opposite more likely. I mean, why would Miki retire when she's winning? Yuna otoh has already won pretty much everything there is to win, so there isn't as much of a point to her sticking around.

Krislite

Medalist
I see the opposite more likely. I mean, why would Miki retire when she's winning? Yuna otoh has already won pretty much everything there is to win, so there isn't as much of a point to her sticking around.

Well, she hasn't won a Skate Canada GP, and she's never been invited to the NHK Trophy, so technically there's two more championships she could be eligible for that she hasn't won yet. :laugh: And besides, why wouldn't she want to have multiple world titles?

As far as not getting Grand Prix assignments next season, I'm sure there will be some concessions made in the rules to compensate for the unusual situation, especially in the case of YuNa, who's the reigning Olympic champion. They're not going to shut her out from competition next season, I'm sure. For one thing, it would effectively shut Korea out of much chance of doing well in GP events, and they're not going to close the book on an entire country--especially a country with such a huge fan base. It's nobody's fault that the World Championships had to be suspended. I certainly hope that skaters will as much as possible be spared from any unfair penalization if Worlds is not held, or is held late, and they can't participate for some reason.

YuNa isn't just a Korean superstar, anyway. She's a world superstar, one of the best skaters in all of history. (Some would argue that she is the best ever.) If there's any way for the ISU to bend over backwards to get her into competition next season (whenever Worlds is held), they'll do it, I'm sure. And if not, that's when we should start writing petitions again! Whether you're a YuNa fan, a Miki fan, a Mao fan, or all three, YuNa is an incredible gift to skating, and she should be accommodated in any way possible so that she remains in competition--not at the expense of any other skater, but just in some fair way.

Last edited:
Edit: Sorry folks, I couldn't get my edit loaded, and then I seemed to double post. So I've deleted the double in the only way I know how.

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
My hunch is that she won't compete for worlds this year, because she is in high demand for Korea's bidding effort for 2018 Olympics. Since she is said to be taking a central role from presentation to meetings with IOC VIPs in the next four months, I don't think participating worlds would be possible.

jatale

On the Ice
Well, I hope she will continue competing and try for a second Olympic Gold. I'm quite sure she could continue to dominate if her heart was in it. She'll be only 23 years old by the next Olympics, and should still be able to win it all again if she can stay injury free and wants it bad enough.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, she hasn't won a Skate Canada GP, and she's never been invited to the NHK Trophy, so technically there's two more championships she could be eligible for that she hasn't won yet. :laugh: And besides, why wouldn't she want to have multiple world titles?

GP wins are minor events. Yuna could win SC if Joannie retires but NHK is out of her hands for the foreseeable future since ISU rules disallow top three skaters to compete against each other in a GP event and there is bound to be at least one Japanese Lady in Worlds top 3 along with Yuna.

Muliple Worlds and Olympic titles? Those are worth going for.

The young lady simply has so many responsibilities. Besides playing a major role in the Olympic bid for Korea, her country also depends on her to secure competition spots. She is carrying the Korean Federation on her shoulders.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yeah, I want to see the Queen vs. the Russian Wonderbabies (sounds like a B-rated movie title^^) in Russia, of all places.

It would be epic.