Skaters Care Tsunami Benefit, April 3rd, Ontario, California | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters Care Tsunami Benefit, April 3rd, Ontario, California

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Jana Khokhlova and Fedor Andreev (RUS) were added today to the Skaters page: http://www.skaterscare.com/skaters

Excerpt from PJ Kwong's CBC blog today: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/pjkwong/2011/03/coaches-play-the-skate-and-wait-routine.html
Back in Michigan, [Marina] Zoueva recounted a feeling she likened to depression in the rink after the news of the earthquake broke.

"Skating is like a family. I know many of the skaters and their families for very long time and I worry about what's happening to them."

Her son Fedor Andreev and dance partner Jana Khokhlova are committed to a fundraising show for Japanese relief on April 3 in Ontario, Calif., called Skaters Care. Zoueva says she's committed to helping the cause in whatever way she can.

"If it wouldn't conflict with possible new worlds date, I will send my other skaters as well. I absolutely want to help as much as possible."
BTW, Mirai Nagasu isn't listed on the site's Skaters page as of today, so I would consider her "unofficial" at the moment.

feraina

Record Breaker
It's so close to me! I would drive up there if I didn't have a pre-planned trip. Wah! :cry:

Caroline Zhang is listed. Curious how she looks now after a few more month with her new coaching situation.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Dorisp, there's also S/B (Samuelson/Bates). Davis/White currently are scheduled for a Stars on Ice guest spot in Cleveland the same day (April 3).

Too bad, feraina. :(

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dorisp, there's also S/B (Samuelson/Bates). Davis/White currently are scheduled for a Stars on Ice guest spot in Cleveland the same day (April 3).

Too bad, feraina. :(

Sylvia, Are Samuelson/Bates back on the ice yet? Evan was still not on skates at the time of Nationals? (Which is why I did not expect them at the Skaters Care show)

People can now make a direct contribution through Skaters Care to the American Red Cross if they so wish -- see: http://www.skaterscare.com/faq
Sylvia, I never heard back from the organizers about how to donate tickets. So is this the best way to support the event from a distance? (A tax deduction would be nice.) Sounds good to me but if they're working on another way, that's fine too. It sounds like a great event. I still hope Japanese TV will pick it up and share it with the rest of us.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Her other skaters?????? :)

D&W? V&M, C&Z, Shibs!!! WOWEE.

But as Marina said -- if it is not close to the new worlds date. Typically we need 4 weeks between the show and when skaters leave for Worlds to get them released to appear.

The skater's who are appearing in the show are all saints. To appear, Adam is flying back to a previously scheduled commitment on a red-eye right after the show.

New addition since I first posted this -- special dispensation came through for Richard Dornbush! Yeah Tammy and Ricky!

Also now LA Theater on Ice.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The skater's who are appearing in the show are all saints. To appear, Adam is flying back to a previously scheduled commitment on a red-eye right after the show.
Yes, both Adam Rippon and Jeremy Abbott are scheduled for the Figure Skating in Harlem benefit in New York City on Monday, April 4.

Sylvia, I never heard back from the organizers about how to donate tickets. So is this the best way to support the event from a distance? (A tax deduction would be nice.) Sounds good to me but if they're working on another way, that's fine too.
If I can find out a definitive answer for you, I will post.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Spun Silver: I've been informed that the best way to help out this show if you're unable to attend in person is to act on this option listed on the FAQ page:

May I make a direct contribution through Skaters Care to the American Red Cross?

Push the "Donate" button at: http://www.skaterscare.com/faq

The organizers are grateful to anyone and everyone who either buys tickets or donates to the cause. :)

Here's the updated cast list: http://www.skaterscare.com/skaters

crzesk8dad

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Citizens Business Bank Arena and Ticketmaster have generously reduced the "convenience fee" for tickets ordered at www.ticketmaster.com to $3.50 per ticket. Granted this is additional to the face value of the ticket, but when compared to what gas is costing these days and the fact that you can choose your seat on-line and know exactly where you are going to sit, it's a pretty good deal. If you are buying a large group, however, you may want to call the CBBA box office and make arrangements for will-call.

Also, the "Club sections" 103, 104 and 105, will be available for sale, sometime on Monday. The Club holders have "first right of refusal" which expired on Saturday night. They actually should have been available now, however, there was a technical difficulty with Ticketmaster, which won't be resolved until Monday. We apologize for any inconvenience

Tinaturtle

Spectator
For those who are going to the Benefit and purchased the VIP packaged, I recieved a call earlier today from Ticketmaster stating that the VIP package was cancelled. did anyone else recieve the same call?

Thanks. Attendance is always a problem, esp. with something organized so fast. But they raised some money for relief and sent a lovely message of encouragement to Japan, so good job.

gsrossano

Final Flight
We never had time to do a program with full credits.

You already know Sean and Don Rabbitt's contributions -- and also Rena and John our hosts, and the cast on the web site.

Then for worker bees we had:

Audrey von Zabern - club president and production assistant
Dr. George (me) - line producer and production manager
Evangeline Whitlock - director
Emily Hayes - stage manager
Karen Kwan Oppegard - Opening and closing choreographer
(And grandma Estelle for taking care of Karen's girls for the weekend so Karen could be with us while Peter is in Korea!)
Mike McGuire - announcer
Tom Clark - music tech
Hugo Chouinard - provided the music editing for the opening and closing at no charge

back stage volunteers, alphabetically

Bob Booth - became an emergency spotlight operator when one of the arena staff called in sick
Rebecca Dornbush - registration
Chris Dumond - stage hand
Vart Echeverria - registration
Wayne Hundley - ice monitor
Debbie and Art Johnson - stage hands
Charlie Miltmore - our ice tech
Chad Phillips - assistant LOC photographer
Genevra Santos - registration
Sharon Pacis - stage hand
Greg Plahy - assistant ice tech and stage hand
Milford Skane - stage hand

Kathi Pargee and John Saitta who coach our club synchro teams, the Ice'Kateers

Danelle Cole - LA Theatre on Ice director, and Tina Delariva TOI manager who arranged for TOI to do elaborate costumes and makeup in Burbank, then rush to Ontario to rehearse and perform, then rush back to Burbank to perform at their home club (a 50 mile trip each way).

Annette Pumphrey from the Demorra speedskating club who volunteered her club and guests, thought up the idea of the exhibition (something that has never been done before I am told), and put it all together.
Zack Fuller, the speed skating exhibition host.

Hurd Video donated the video production. John Hurd did the in-house video production for the jumbotron and donated his staff for a two camera shoot of the show.

Hope I got everyone!

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
I was moved just to hear of this.
I want to say Thank You to this show, and everyone who made it possible.