With the likely change of Venue, will this change your opinion of the Results? | Golden Skate

With the likely change of Venue, will this change your opinion of the Results?

With the likely change of Venue, will this change your opinion of the Results?

Men - Its a downer for the Japanese boys but maybe one of them will find a renewed spirit to fight through the uncontrollable and give it his all... And win?

Chan brings his own energy, so it will not affect him. Similarly with Amodio who may be happier to be closer to home. Joubert is Joubert wherever he goes. Will not affect him. The European Men will take it in their stride. The newbie American Boys are just puzzled about all this as they are about being part of the Team, and Bradley may just step up his game if those more podium favored lose their footing.

It's still not difficult to name the Top Ten, but maybe the risky predictions need another look at.

The Ladies including the Japanese Ladies are not strangers to Europe and this should not affect them. All the others will not be affected also. As are the Ice Dancers, and Pairs.

It still will be a great competition, or do you think it lost some steam?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The question would be, how many people will be in the crowd? Some skaters and teams just really turn it on for a full auditorium. Some prefer an empty rink.

The other big question is, who gets the home field advantage/curse?

I'm so hoping for Colorado Springs!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Presumably it's in Russia. Would've loved to see SC join with the US Federation to boost the US bid, but that didn't seem likely.

Will it change my mind about the results? Have to wait and see. If Bobrova/Soloviev all of a sudden end up ahead of P/B or D/W, then yeah, eyebrows will be raised. But if K/S and V/T both end up on the podium? It's plausible the way they/the rest of the field are skating, home ice advantage or not.

Who'll be negatively/positively affected? It almost seems mean to speculate, doesn't it? I'll say that the North Americans who went to 4CC and now Worlds have gotten more down time between competitions and the travel. Additionally, anyone injured (the Kerrs, V/M) have gotten more recovery time.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Do you believe Chan would've won with three falls in Tokyo?

You know that I know that you know that we are not talking about Tokyo. Thanks for the lame trolling but Tokyo is out. We are talking about Russia, US and others who officially wish to host the Worlds.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wow. I'm lamely trolling?

We're talking about the CHANGE. The CHANGE has been from TOKYO (the original location) to one unknown (though Russia is the undeniable favourite for a number of reasons). You suggesting that Chan WON'T win with three falls as a consequence of the change implies that you believe that without the change (away from Tokyo) he would've won with three falls. Now, given your follow-up comment, it's clear that instead of an insightful exchange of ideas based on Joesitz' question, you felt like getting a dig in at a skater you don't care for. I apologize to everyone else for treating it as a reasonable point and not what it is.

Anyway, I agree - Chan won't win with three falls. I tend to believe that the level of competition at the worlds will be too high for any skater to win with three falls. I do wonder which skaters will have recalibrated best. If Chan's able to replicate what he did at Nationals, I think we can all agree he'll be on top of the podium.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I really get tired of the three fall drumbeat.:rolleye: There's a tiny Roy Orbison in my brain, belting out , "It's O-o-over..."

As Pogue says , I doubt anyone would win with three falls..but with three quads ? I could see that.

Wherever it is , the circumstances are so unusual , I would think if any group of skaters will attract a general aura of goodwill , it will be the Japanese..( emanating from me ,as well ).This could lessen or even cancel out the usual home ice advantage/curse.

In the pairs K/S and V/T were in good shape before any of this happened , and I hope they still are. That was set to be quite the contest.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
This is a totally exceptional situation; I don't think that it will change my opinion of the results of the World Championships. This has been, surely, a nerve-wracking situation for all the competitors, but I expect they have been optimistically staying in shape. I've been keeping track of the tragic situation in Japan since March 11, hoping for a postponement or change of venue for Worlds, because my research and instincts told me that the situation in Japan was not going to yield to a quick fix. I was afraid that various effects of the disaster would spread, one way or another, to Tokyo.

What I expect to see from the Japanese skaters, is inspiration. I think that their national tragedy will inspire them to give their utmost efforts to show their best skating, to cheer up their fellow countrymen, and I wish them the best in that endeavor.

I think that whether the arena is full or half empty, this Worlds will be a tremendously emotional experience for everyone involved. That could create a positive energy for all the skaters, not just the Japanese or those skating on home ice. Wherever this Worlds takes place, it will be a unique part of skating history. It will represent a tremendous effort to overcome obstacles. I hope that all the skaters benefit from that aspect of it. Certainly they have to be conscious of a worldwide audience (by whatever electronic means, even it it's YouTube a day later), all of whom are rooting for the skaters to do well and most of whom have special sympathy for the Japanese team. They'll also know that the fans of Japan are with them for every stroke of the blade.

As for my opinion of the results, I'll be really sorry if the Japanese skaters have been thrown off their rhythm by the events of the past weeks. I'll be equally sorry if YuNa can't make it to Worlds, because she's so extraordinary, and I'm pining for a rematch between her and the equally phenomenal Mao. I'll be sorry if Alissa's delicate internal mechanism tilts to the dark side--but remember, she's probably got her concern for Yuka Sato's well-being to distract her, and that might keep her steady.

Otherwise, I'll be so thrilled that the championship is being held at all that I can't imagine having much to complain about. I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling.

Last edited:
The question would be, how many people will be in the crowd? Some skaters and teams just really turn it on for a full auditorium. Some prefer an empty rink.

The other big question is, who gets the home field advantage/curse?

I'm so hoping for Colorado Springs!
There is a hard core of American fans who follow LIVE FS championships, and they will go to Russia after filling out an autobiography to obtain a visa. Of course Colorado Springs would be easier but many have been there.

It really doesn't matter for the TV viewers. A camel spin in Europe looks the same as a camel spin in N.America. However, competitors may have a preference but we wont know that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, I love live figure skating championships, but there is absolutely no way I can afford to go to one in Russia. If I can't drive there, I probably can't go. I'd love to, though. So of course, I would prefer one where I might be able to make it-US or Canada. And since skating is more popular in Canada than the US, chances of getting a decent seat are better in the US :)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Wow. I'm lamely trolling?

We're talking about the CHANGE. The CHANGE has been from TOKYO (the original location) to one unknown (though Russia is the undeniable favourite for a number of reasons). You suggesting that Chan WON'T win with three falls as a consequence of the change implies that you believe that without the change (away from Tokyo) he would've won with three falls. Now, given your follow-up comment, it's clear that instead of an insightful exchange of ideas based on Joesitz' question, you felt like getting a dig in at a skater you don't care for. I apologize to everyone else for treating it as a reasonable point and not what it is.

Anyway, I agree - Chan won't win with three falls. I tend to believe that the level of competition at the worlds will be too high for any skater to win with three falls. I do wonder which skaters will have recalibrated best. If Chan's able to replicate what he did at Nationals, I think we can all agree he'll be on top of the podium.

Ah, pardon my dumb non-native speaker's English. Clearly I didn't express myself well enough. Or I might have assumed that some people can thing faster. So, I'll try again. In the situation when my post was posted, Tokyo was out and therefore mentioning it was lame trolling of yours. At that hour there were some candidates to host WC, including Moscow, US and Canada. My post was about these candidates, not about Tokyo. If WC were held in Canada, nobody can say for sure that Chan wouldn't win there with three falls. Your apologies accepted.

I tend to believe that the level of competition at the worlds will be too high for any skater to win with three falls. I do wonder which skaters will have recalibrated best.
Good comment. If I had the power, I would pose the question of Falls, particularly in Solo performance be reviewed and reevaluated by the ISU for consideration. When one thinks of the of the penalties for URs and Wrong Edge Takeoffs, treated much more seriously than Falls, it is unfair.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Good comment. If I had the power, I would pose the question of Falls, particularly in Solo performance be reviewed and reevaluated by the ISU for consideration. When one thinks of the of the penalties for URs and Wrong Edge Takeoffs, treated much more seriously than Falls, it is unfair.

Also a good comment and I agree. Is a correct edge and/or proper rotations more important than an acceptable landing that continues the flow of the program?

Does a UR really impact the IN and CH the way a fall can at times? And P/E can suffer as well from falls yet seems to be overlooked at times.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I wish that there was a more direct correlation between the skate and PCS in general. Right now it seems like a 40/40/20 split between skater, skaters and program.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
When one thinks of the of the penalties for URs and Wrong Edge Takeoffs, treated much more seriously than Falls, it is unfair.

Hernando said:
Does a UR really impact the IN and CH the way a fall can at times? And P/E can suffer as well from falls yet seems to be overlooked at times.

Could you please back up these statements with facts and how these are reflected in scores as revealed in the protocols?

If a skater is not supposed to win a competition with a fall, Chan would have his Skate Canada gold forfeited, whereas Takahashi would have to give up his every win this season - NHK, Skate America, and 4CC, as well as his World Champion title. I wonder if those insisting on falls as disqualifying and as definition of poor skating consider Chan and Takahashi as inferior skaters or are they out to get Takahashi?

eta. Oda, the Silver medalist in Skate Canada and Skate America, as well as in GPF, could not take the Gold forfeited by Chan and Takahashi because he too fell in these events.

Let's just wait to see how they perform at Worlds.

Last edited:
^^^^
Winning or Losing a Championship has nothing to do with Falling per se. It does have to do with Scoring. The question posed is, of the 3 Major Errors to be scored, what is it about Falling as being the least worisome? We're speaking of Senior Skaters whose skating skills should not display Falls.