Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skaters' reactions and strategies for delayed Worlds 2011

take off the oven mitts
    thank you, mot, for the helpful translations.

i am sure many hearts will be rooting extra hard for the japanese team in light of recent events. i myself am torn between feeling irked and feeling appreciative of cinquanta's 'special treatment' remark, with regards to the japanese delegate. i am not quoting him word for word, but i'm sure people have seen that remark in print.

if mao wins, or miki wins, i want it to be crystal clear that zero special treatment entered into the equation, and if yeonah wins i hope that's very clear cut also. i am sure speedy meant well and is only recognizing how difficult it has been for JSF and everyone from japan, including the skaters and their coaches, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

on the other hand, clear cut results usually mean there's a big drop off between first place and 2nd place, 2nd place and 3rd place, and i would like to see everyone do well. this year i love many skaters' long programs--carolina kostner's, for instance.

oh the heck with it. i just want a great competition--i want to see at least mao, miki, and yeonah skate their absolute best--especially because i like yeonah AND mao. and since yeonah is skating giselle and probably bulletproof in shows, there might not be another performance of arirang to look forward to. and if there's controversy about the scoring, well, that's par for the course, even in years without earthquake and tsunami having caused Worlds to be moved.

Custom Title
    Hi Mot:

Thanks a lot for translation. I read it in Japanese, but I hardly have time to translate it.
    I did not come to this forum too much, because I have been so busy following the development in a Japanese Nuclear Plant.
    I am trying to give as accurate info as possible to my family/relatives/friends from American side.

I also like the message from Dai. He gave message to the effect that we can get over this calamity with cooperation and solidarity among all Japanese people.
    I agree. Seeing it from US, I am so much impressed with Japanese people's patience, team work and fighting spirit.

Can you believe that when they had only one rice ball a day to eat in a shelter, they meticulously divide scant food equality to everybody there!!
    In a week, some shelters were already organized by groups, group leaders and the leader who oversees all operation of the shelter.
    Good for them!! I feel very proud of my people and I believe strongly that they we will make a spectacular recovery just like we successfully became the world economic power from the ashes of World War II.

Please send your prayer to Japan.

Thanks.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    genki, I hope you will contribute to the Japanese Nuclear thread in the Le Cafe folder, if you have time-I post updates several times a day, but I don't read Japanese, and so I can only access sources that exist in English translations.

I hope a more adequate food supply is getting to those in shelters these days?

Custom Title
    Hi Dorispulaski

Yes, food supply has increased. Thank good, but not the situation of a plant.

I will be a long hard battle.
    I will go to La cafe now.

Thanks

Custom Title
    For those interested, I have been posting information about the charity ice show organised by Japanese skaters and to be held on April 9, in Kobe, the city devastated by the great earthquake in 1995. I repost them here;

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post558290
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post558533

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I know people knew about this appearance by Patrick, but I don't know if these details were known..

http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArt...f-93e22ac31d0c

nice gesture , Patrick.

ETA : Sorry ..I see this is noted in another thread in the Edge ( Patrick & Don Jackson). Not a thread I've been following. Pardon my duplication
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 04-02-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: addition.

Custom Title
    These have also been linked on the Patrick Chan AND Don Jackson! thread about the event today which was originally planned for raising funds for a skating scholarship program:

Patrick Chan to help Don Jackson celebrate birthday

Patrick Chan ready to skate for a cause

In reporting Patrick donating his fees, it's often left out that

Chan is performing at the show free of charge, but has asked that funds raised go toward the Japan relief fund and toward a new scholarship being introduced in Oshawa in honour of Colson, his most influential coach.
    So it's really worthwhile to go if you could because the proceeds will go towards the good causes, besides the opportunity to see one of today's best skaters at such a low ticket price.

Custom Title

Nobunari Oda is leaving for Canada for the final preparation

Nobunari Oda was interviewed by the college newspaper at his entrance ceremony to Kansai University Graduate School.

http://www.boom-sports.com/archives/51973863.html

(translated by me)

- The dates have been set for the World Championships.

N: I understand it is impossible to hold the championships in Tokyo, given the circumstances. I am glad it is going to be held in Moscow instead. It was rescheduled to late April very quickly; it's much better than it being cancelled, and also we can now compete on nearer the original dates.

- What is your schedule running up to the championships?

N: I am leaving for Canada tomorrow (April 3), and will stay there until I go to Moscow. I am doing the final brushing up with my coach in Canada, and fine tuning choreography. It's better to do a holistic training in Canada. Originally, I was planning to leave next week, but my coach said we'd need 2-3 weeks for conditioning. It is my top priority to give a good performance at the Worlds. I can concentrate on practising there.

- What's your condition now?

N: I have an image of my best performance there. The rescheduling of the Worlds gave me some time to rest and my condition is improving. I hope I can do what I am planning to do. There's no change of the elements in the programmes; a quad each in the short and the free.

- Your wedding is rescheduled too.

N: Yes, it's now on May 22. There were no other dates available. (* I think he's referring to the availability of the venue.) I spent the last few days organising and sending out the letters of apology for the change of dates to the guests...

- We heard you collected donations in Takatsuki (*where his university is located)

N: I thought about what we could do for now, and came up with the idea. When I took the idea to my fellow members of Kansai University Skating Club, they agreed to join in. Takatsuki City Council gave us support too. The time flew when I was doing it. It was good to witness people's good will and it was a precious experience. I would like to keep on supporting the victims of the disasters. I was also invited to participate in the charity gala on April 9, but I had to turn down as I now need to go to Canada. I apologised to the organisers.

- How do you feel now that the Worlds are so close?

N: I could not skate very well in the last competition, the Universiade. So I would like to prove that I can do better. I ended in the 28th place at the last Worlds, and I am feeling very nervous. I have never skated my best at the World Championships. I am feeling nervous, but I will overcome it.

- Psychologically?

N: It means a lot to me that this is the last competition of the season. I am thinking positively - if I get the result there, I will look back fondly of my nervousness then. Now that I am married and have a family, I am much calmer and level headed than before.

---

* About the charity gala on April 9, please refer to this post.

** Pics of Nobu and Takeshi Honda collecting donations at Takatsuki Station.
    Last edited by mot; 04-02-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2