Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Unused pieces in old warhorses

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I think it was Klimkin who actually used it. He was a master interpreter of music on ice. I believe his choreographer died and while Klimkin continued to skate according to the norms of figure skating, he was no longer special, imo. Also the era was dominated by that master jumper, Evgeni. c'est la vie.
    I can't resist... yes, that was him

Custom Title
    You know what occurs to me...the opera Hansel and Gretel could be considered a warhorse, and the overture is so lush and gorgeous that it would make a really outstanding program. It's not cutesy music at all but very stirring in the tradition of Wagner (of whom Humperdinck was a follower), very "German forest"--sweeping and lyrical, with plenty of varying tempi. It suggests a complete narrative thread.

overture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fm60...eature=related
    (This is just under eight minutes long, but it can be cut, of course.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    You know what occurs to me...the opera Hansel and Gretel could be considered a warhorse, and the overture is so lush and gorgeous that it would make a really outstanding program. It's not cutesy music at all but very stirring in the tradition of Wagner (of whom Humperdinck was a follower), very "German forest"--sweeping and lyrical, with plenty of varying tempi. It suggests a complete narrative thread.
    I agree. It's beautiful music.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3