American Idol | Golden Skate

American Idol

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone watching?? Just wondered what your thoughts were on the save last week.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I didn't like it. I don't know what it is about him. I don't think it was a good idea to use the save so early in the season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not watching. I didn't watch last season either, really. It's just gotten too... I dunno... boring. I'd rather watch SVU reruns on USA lol but I do like Casey, from what I've seen. It doesn't matter who they are, if it's a guy they don't go very far after Idol (if they win)...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No clue at all how that worked.

Record buyers buy music. Idol watchers vote for a combination of liking the music and liking the artist personally.

That would be my guess. People liked Daughtry's music, but didn't like him personally as well as the 4 people that beat him out.

Record buyers could care less ;)

They thought Ruben Stoddard was a nice guy, but they didn't want to listen to the type of music he sings, most days, so they don't buy it as much.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They thought Ruben Stoddard was a nice guy, but they didn't want to listen to the type of music he sings, most days, so they don't buy it as much.

yeah but none of season two (or season one) for that matter are big stars these days. Clay Aiken is more famous now for his tabloid fodder, Josh Gracin is struggling to promote his second album in the country markets (sans a major label) and I know nothing of KLocke these days... Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuben was a teddy bear with a velvet voice who tried to make a hip hop type album when he won. Didn't jive well with what we saw on TV, so people dumped him in a hurry.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
yeah but none of season two (or season one) for that matter are big stars these days. Clay Aiken is more famous now for his tabloid fodder, Josh Gracin is struggling to promote his second album in the country markets (sans a major label) and I know nothing of KLocke these days... Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuben was a teddy bear with a velvet voice who tried to make a hip hop type album when he won. Didn't jive well with what we saw on TV, so people dumped him in a hurry.

KLocke is on Broadway these days... I think she's in The Color Purple and Rent's last cast. The biggest problem with Ruben's album is that instead of doing a straight up R & B album he tried to compete with the artists that are definately more hip hop vs. staying in his lane ala Boyz II Men. R & B is a lot like country in that all those artists can really sing so you gotta give the people something unique if you want to stand out. Why should I buy a knock off Jodeci album when I can buy the real thing? Fantasia is doing better, but that's more to do with her personal drama that mixes well with her songwriting (or her producer's song writing team...) so folks view her in a more favorable light. But if she won't be able to pull that off too much longer... Mary J Blige, Alicia Keys, and Jill Scott have a bit of drama in their personal lives too, but their music is stellar. Fantasia cannot say the same.

Personally, I think that as long as AI continues to allow unlimited text voting we will continue have 12 year old girls picking cute boys who they loose interest in once the final credits roll... thank God that Kelly Clarkston and Carrie Underwood competed earlier...

This season keeps being touted as the "Most Talented Ever" but I'm not diggin anybody... which is sad... luckily, Survivor and The Big Bang Theory come on during the same time...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Clarkson isn't record breaking these days... granted I only follow Country and Christian music so I don't know about some of the others but Carrie, Kellie [Pickler], and Bucky [Covington] are all doing great in Country Music... and Mandeesa and Jason [can't remember his last name] are chart topping artists on the Christian music scene.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think last night was the first time I've missed Simon...or at least his......You Suck, go sit down!!! Randy was giving someone constructive criticism and Jennifer shhhh'd him.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, the elimination was a shocker!!!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I was surprised, too, but lay the blame at the feet of the judges who kept complaining about Pia singing ballads. Well, we found out why she stuck with ballads on Tuesday night. I tho't it was her poorest performance. Not, however, the worst of the night. That honor went to Paul, as usual, IMO.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far I keeping wondering why the judges like Casey so much...sorry but he kind of unnerves me. I can't pinpoint it.

Jacob is OK but I am not thrilled with him.

Lauren is OK but I haven't seen really anything special about her. :rolleye:

When Scotty first sang, my mouth dropped to the floor. He has such an old voice....good but it just didn't fit in a teenager's body. :laugh: :laugh:

I love James, even though I'm not a rocker fan. He reminds me a lot of Adam Lambert.

Haley is my favorite.

I hope the competition is between James & Haley.

Las Vegas odds are on Scotty, that would be interesting if he won.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I don't like Casey either. He's very growly, to borrow that word and I don't think he has mass appeal.

I agree about Scotty's voice. Very mature. Makes me wonder what it'll be like in a few years. But he's not origional and I know he's said he dosen't want to be, or at least want the songs he sings to be, but I don't know. Personally I think he's getting the votes he's getting because he's a younger guy who sings country and he's getting the country fan base and the girls who think he's cute.

I like Lauren, but I think she could have more star power if she's going to live up to all the hype.

Haley's growing on me.

Jacob is okay. I could take it or leave it.

James is the only one who really stands out to me this season.

That being said, since I like him, he probably won't win. Nobody I ever like wins. That's just my luck.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
James is the only one who really stands out to me this season.

That being said, since I like him, he probably won't win. Nobody I ever like wins. That's just my luck.
I know what you mean. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't have to be unnerved anymore. :agree:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thank goodness Casey is gone. Could not understand the hype with him. Take away his musical instruments, and he really can't sing. James and Hayley are my favs too, and as good as James is, he's no Adam Lambert. 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I kind of lost interest in the show. Casey is gone? He was not my favorite. Actually, none of them really strike me as that good. I don't care for the judges either. American Idol needs to fade into the sunset. Too many cookie cutter singers.