Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Skating as art

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I second your thoughts! Much as I loved watching the dogs, it's interesting to contemplate why we can't ever show Nationals (or--gasp--Worlds) in Madison Square Garden.
    What mere figure skater can match the magnificence of Hickory?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/hickory.JPG

Custom Title
    ^^^^Magnificent, yes. But can he skate?

Outrunning Usain Bolt, OTOH, is no challenge for the magnificent Hickory.

Custom Title
    Isn't that for sure, SF! What a glorious dog Hickory is. Like something out of a myth.

Wonder if he has an ear for music, though.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    (And I had a major crush on Terry too, still do!)
    This is our first common fs thing or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Did you know that Terry Gannon was a national champion in collegiate basketball (1983)?
    No i didnt but now I updated my questions, how tall is he(too tall?), how old is he and is he married?

Mathman i wish you visit the real Holland and eat the gigasize applepie! The tulip blossom is from now till May in holland and the theme this year is germany: Land of Poets and Philosophers, i went on weekend and the first hint I found was this

Custom Title
    That apple pie sounds divine, Seniorita! And the tulips, too. Just the thought of fields of tulips lifts my spirits. Someday I hope to get to Holland. They even have good *chocolate*!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Isn't that for sure, SF! What a glorious dog Hickory is. Like something out of a myth.

Wonder if he has an ear for music, though.
    Ever notice there have been some pretty good movies about dogs but none so far that I can recall about skating.

Are Lassie, Old Yeller, Benjie, Hootch, Skip and other dogs that have starred in films really so much more lovable than Michelle?

Hernando - yes. *shines halo*

and the pug is ALWAYS cheated out of a better ranking at those dumb pagaents. I'm sure there's some form of discrimination going on!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Hernando - yes. *shines halo*

and the pug is ALWAYS cheated out of a better ranking at those dumb pagaents. I'm sure there's some form of discrimination going on!
    Wasn't there a nasty little pug in "Men in Black"?

Maybe not the most glamorous role but I thought the pug hit all his marks and turned in a good if not great performance.

There used to be a clip of Mao skating with a dog in a commercial but I think it got banned along with the fur on Weir's skating costume
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-04-2011 at 05:19 PM.

yes Frank was an alien posing as a pug... there's also a wonderful movie called Milo and Otis that is the reason I fell in love with the breed (however they filmed the movie in China where animal rights were non existant and there were some pretty bad stories about what happened to the animals in the movie)... but while they are true stars of the silver screen they don't get recognised nearly enough by the dog shows. JMO though lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Ever notice there have been some pretty good movies about dogs but none so far that I can recall about skating.

Are Lassie, Old Yeller, Benjie, Hootch, Skip and other dogs that have starred in films really so much more lovable than Michelle?
    I never thought of that, Hernando. What a depressing thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Does it matter as much if no one is watching? If a broad enough fan base doesn't get it how does that help skating?
    Do the watchers take the time to understand how a competitor wins a championship? I doubt it. If the watcher, who is not infaturated with the art of skating, will put it on his list to watch if he has the time. Life is full of things to do.

Surely skating needs to be about more than pleasing a few CoP geeks if it is to have a healthy future and remain viable in USA
    I couldn't agree with you more. The CoP geeks and the Artistry seers have an emotional take on figure skating. However, that doesn't spell box office appeal or even TV ratings. There's a big list of possible reasons why figure skating in the US is in decline. I think all of them are valid. Here's to the Ladies that lunch.

It seems out of the question to have a US Natls in NYC at Madison Square Garden these days..
    Why do we see tthe Westminster Dog Show from Madison Square Garden in NYC and broadcast Live on TV but not skating?

Easy enough to conclude that Americans find dogs more entertaining than skating.
    MSG is a huge barn that suits the Rangers and the current Pop Stars. The management looks for profit. If it sells, they'll book it. Can Figure Skating rent the barn for more than one night?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    ^^

My beagles know who Uno is:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23096596/

And watched every moment of that win...but do not know Kim Yeon-Ah, or Mao Asada, or even Michelle Kwan (blasphemy!), and they're my beagles =P

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    ^^

My beagles know who Uno is:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23096596/

And watched every moment of that win...but do not know Kim Yeon-Ah, or Mao Asada, or even Michelle Kwan (blasphemy!), and they're my beagles =P

From the article:

The nation’s new top dog was clearly the fan favorite, and drew a roaring, standing ovation from the sold-out crowd at Madison Square Garden when he was picked."

^ But seriously, what is the thesis that you are pressing here? Are you saying that figure skating ought to abandon all pretense of being a sport, acknowledge that it is just a dog and pony show, and then try to reap the financial benefits that the real dog and pony shows do?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ But seriously, what is the thesis that you are pressing here? Are you saying that figure skating ought to abandon all pretense of being a sport, acknowledge that it is just a dog and pony show, and then try to reap the financial benefits that the real dog and pony shows do?
    Would make sense.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 04-05-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast