Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Skating as art

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Welcome to the States, Seniorita! I hope you enjoy every minute of your trip. Take notes so we can hear about everything.
    Hey I m on the same time zone now as you! NY is like Legoland :D Please if someone from USA wants to adopt me I dont wanna go back, I think it suits me here. Plus people are so polite all day, I now think we are so rude in Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Hey I m on the same time zone now as you! NY is like Legoland :D Please if someone from USA wants to adopt me I dont wanna go back, I think it suits me here. Plus people are so polite all day, I now think we are so rude in Europe!
    New Yorkers are polite!? I suppose compared to some Europeans... But here in the States New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude, actually.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    What was it about this performance that caught the eye of so many Americans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmUW8wPB0s

Was there something so "sporty" about it or did it have more to do with things I mentioned in post #168?

Was there something special we saw in the personality and charm of the skater or was it because we thought she was just like Michael jordan and capable of superhuman athletic feats?

Some could argue for both points but I believe we were enthralled seeing the talent and beautiful artistry from a skater who was developing right before our eyes.
    WOW, what a WONDERFUL fully choreographed programme including even the tiniest details. And of course perfectly to the music.
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-09-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Custom Title
    Jaana, that's one of the things that always got me about Michelle's Lori Nichol programs. There were little moments all the way through with hand movements and unusual steps that so brought out the music. For example, at the start of "Lyra Angelica," she does three quick steps backward. (You can't see it as well in the Nationals tape, because the camera's on her face, but there are European broadcasts of Worlds that show it.) I continued to love Michelle throughout her career, of course, but I found her later programs a bit emptier and more predictable. Interestingly, most of Lori's non-Michelle programs were also a bit emptier, and generally they used less interesting music. Those two ladies brought out the best in each other, the way Lennon and McCartney did in music, or Burt Bacharach and lyricist Hal David.

Seniorita, welcome! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself, and that New Yorkers have impressed you with their politeness. Actually, I have read several reports saying that New Yorkers are surprisingly polite. For one thing, they're used to welcoming people from all over the world. I think it's because, unlike Los Angeles, people in East Coast cities tend to use mass transit. They have to get along; they're not protected in their little car kingdoms. Anyway, whatever the reason, I'm happy that you're loving the place so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    New Yorkers are polite!? I suppose compared to some Europeans... But here in the States New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude, actually.
    Most of those rude NYers have moved to the suburbs, and now we have many polite illegal citizens.

It has always been my experience that New Yorkers are polite to Intl tourists/travelers as opposed to each other or especially American tourists.

I spent years entertaining foreign business travelers in NYC and typically their reactions were similar to senioritas.

Not as much when the "Bob and Betty" from the Mid-West came to New York. I used to hear complaint after complaint, my favorite being "we just made it down to the platform and do you think the damned subway train waited for us?

When Bob would complain and say that would never happen in Ames, Iowa I would politely respond with "I didn't know they had a subway in Ames."

He would say, "well you know what I mean."

He was right and I did know what he meant but since he was a client he was spared my famous sarcasm

Think of it this way, "you can take the boy out of Iowa but you can never take the Iowa out of the boy."
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I still think of myself as a New Yorker although I now live across the Hudson. I think New Yorkers are so used to struggling with the complexities of mass transit (especially bad subway signage) and fast-moving crowds that we have compassion for visitors who are trying to deal with the city for the first time. Many if not most New Yorkers were born somewhere else and remember how hard it was at first. Anyway, we love to give directions to lost-looking strangers! Welcome, Seniorita! Have a great visit!

This may seem like bias and it probably is but legal wealthy immigrants are complaining about the Americans before their first class jet even lands.

I think that the denser the population, the more rude you have to be. In a dense population you must be prepared to hold your own and push back, or you will be pushed aside.

Out in the countryside, where your nearest neighbor is five miles away, you are actually pleased, rather than annoyed, to encounter other people.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to the USA seniorita! Are you staying in NYC the whole time, or are you planning to travel around? If so, where?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think that the denser the population, the more rude you have to be. In a dense population you must be prepared to hold your own and push back, or you will be pushed aside.

Out in the countryside, where your nearest neighbor is five miles away, you are actually pleased, rather than annoyed, to encounter other people.
    Sometimes, though, living close together forces people to be polite. The Japanese are famously courteous because of their population density. Politeness assures that a spat won't end up causing much worse, and it gives an extra layer of privacy besides. The Brits used to be well-known for their reserve for the same reason. Whereas in isolated areas, people might forget how to censor themselves and might speak their minds no matter what. Just a thought.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Hey, I dont know many people in Europe who would see you with a map and offer help without you asking it, it is amazing!
    It took me a while to learn the tipping rules and do the maths, but now it is ok!
    And Taxis are very cheap contrary to European big capitals!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Welcome to the USA seniorita! Are you staying in NYC the whole time, or are you planning to travel around? If so, where?
    Only NY this time, next time I ll be braver and travel the other side. I dont think in 10 days you can see a lot, but we walk average 11-12 hours a day and we dont use metro much, we use the buses! I have a good internal navigation system! I have seen most sightseeing and museums and climbed all the high buildings I m allowed to!Two more days here, i don't want to leave, neither my friends, two of them changed their return date ticket already. Joe you might have 2 more polite illegal immigrants in the city for a while
    I have only good things to say for Ny, only drawback, I cant adjust to time difference and sleep. :sheesh:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Hey, seniorita, welcome to North America! Hope you are having wonderful time in NY! If anyone wants to meet polite people among strangers, you must go to Canada. Canadians are so nice wherever you go. I've had different experiences when I was in NY.

I've actually had a fond memory for London. Twice when our party were standing at the bus stop and the side of a subway, having trouble figuring out which route we should take, strangers came up and offered help. Gave us a lot of tips on how to find the places we want to see and the knowledge of the transportation. Once a guy even gave us a coffee shop coupon he had for where we were planning to visit (Obviously the coupon was kept for himself. But he gave it to us).
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-12-2011 at 11:22 PM.

next time you come to the US, Seniorita, come to Alaska! We'll climb tall mountains and call up some Moose and go out on the ocean and rivers... and play with sled dog puppies!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    next time you come to the US, Seniorita, come to Alaska! We'll climb tall mountains and call up some Moose and go out on the ocean and rivers... and play with sled dog puppies!
    Also come to California, Senorita! We have sand, sun...and ice =P

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast