Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Sawyer - Out or In?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Now Sawyer can do programs never having to worry about a 3A ever again! So he is totally free to lessen his jump difficulty and focus on entertaining choreo and all that kind of stuff for show skating.

Good Luck to Reynolds hope he can bring his quads and also do his 3A.

Skate Canada got lucky here! Reynolds can do quads but Sawyer had no quad ability. So even with Reynolds problems on 3A he can do jumps worth more.

Joey Russell- Who thinks he will make the FS? Or will he get to the FS but place in the 20's?
    Barely make the FS. One of Russell's slight advantages is that he goes for trickier combinations (3F-3Lo) so he can absorb the loss of GOE in his SP slightly better. Won't mean much in this competition for overall ranking, but I can see him slipping ahead. One thing that is worth remembering is that when you get to the "barely qualifying for the FS group" is that many don't have a triple axel and they go for doubles. Russell does go for the 3A.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Barely make the FS. One of Russell's slight advantages is that he goes for trickier combinations (3F-3Lo) so he can absorb the loss of GOE in his SP slightly better. Won't mean much in this competition for overall ranking, but I can see him slipping ahead. One thing that is worth remembering is that when you get to the "barely qualifying for the FS group" is that many don't have a triple axel and they go for doubles. Russell does go for the 3A.
    I have to disagree here. Those who can make the top 24 for the FS at the World Championship will mostly likely have a Triple Axel. It has been an unwritten requirement for almost 2 years now. Those who do Double Axels in the SP better have a Quad combo to compensate like Stephane Lambiel. I have seen men who did solid 3A and an otherwise solid SP with no major errors, failing to make the cut after the SP. One of the examples I remember most vividly was the North Korean man representative at the Vancouver Olympics. I honestly thought he skated quite well technically and would had him about 22 or 23th after the SP but he failed to make the cut and he had a Triple Axel in his SP and he also skated mostly clean.

Skater like Joey Russell will need to be mostly clean and with a Triple Axel. He isn't a big gun like Joubert or Chan, who can afford a sub-par skate and still make the cut. I also thought that Joey didn't improve very much compared to last year, judging it based on his skate at the Canadian Nationals. Certainly, back in 2010, there was more a buzz about him than there was this year. Many thought he had a good shot at making the Olympic team. To be honest, I think he needs to demonstrate a more refined skating in his technique and as well as his overall presentation. If we can give him a little bit of Shawn Sawyer, I think Joey would be a much better skater.

He is in the same boat as Miner and Dornbush, 1st time at Worlds. We'll see how all 3 handle the pressure of being on the big stage.
    Last edited by wallylutz; 03-31-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Custom Title
    Kevin Reynolds, Victor Pfeiffer, Jinlin Guan, Jamal Othman, Ryan Bradley and Air-Pekka Nurimkari all made the free skate without a 3A last season at Worlds 2010. Not all had quads.

But I agree that my assertion is mostly wrong.

I think Joey will make the FS but come in the 20s. He does have good presentation and musicality compared to a lot of the guys at his level. Btw I agree with the person who said he hasn't improved much since last year. I actually think his LP at last year's nationals was better than this year's. Maybe it was the motivation of trying to make hte Olympics.

Custom Title
    It was a very smart decision from Sawyer! He knew that he did his best at Canadian Nationals and it's difficult to top that. He peaked and that was it. It's a great time to retire and go on pro.

Now, if USFSA wants Jeremy Abbott to go to this worlds, just have Scott Hamilton offer Bradley the SOI for this year, it'll do the trick.

I almost wish I lived in Canada just so I could see Shawn! Love his skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    It was a very smart decision from Sawyer! He knew that he did his best at Canadian Nationals and it's difficult to top that. He peaked and that was it. It's a great time to retire and go on pro.

Now, if USFSA wants Jeremy Abbott to go to this worlds, just have Scott Hamilton offer Bradley the SOI for this year, it'll do the trick.
    For some reason I don't think Bradley would make the same decision. He's also reworked some of his program for worlds and he seems to be REALLY into competing now. I saw an interview with him and Kurt Browning.

Custom Title
    Sawyer walks away from amateur career
    By PJ Kwong

Best wishes to the one and only, inimitable Shawn Sawyer.

Thanks. I got to see Shawn skate in a show, and also this year at Nationals and my gosh he was wonderful. Such a breathtaking performance and such a creative program. I Think he should be in high demand for shows, as he has alot to offer and iam glad he was signed this year to SOI.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    For some reason I don't think Bradley would make the same decision. He's also reworked some of his program for worlds and he seems to be REALLY into competing now. I saw an interview with him and Kurt Browning.
    any chance there's a link to that?

Custom Title

bummer, being nonCanadian I can't watch it, it's only for Canucks. Oh well.

Custom Title
    ^^^ There are some descriptions of the interview on Patrick Chan Live Interview Via Skype thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post

I see no evidence that US Skating wants to get rid of Bradley

I am sure US Skating as well as many skating fans wish Jeremy was more consistent.

As to Bradley, his winning the 2011 US Men's Championship was a highlight of the season for many skating fans right up there with Sarah Meier winning the European championship and Alissa winning the GPF.

All things considered for a post Olympic season 2011 was quite memorable.

Yuna's return to the 2011 WC feels like the icing on the cake for a season that was full of surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    I see no evidence that US Skating wants to get rid of Bradley
    Nice guy, not hard on the eyes, entertains the crowd - yeah I don't think they wanna get rid of him either.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast