Thread: Adam Rippon Makes a Coaching Change

Hybrid View

Custom Title

News Adam Rippon Makes a Coaching Change

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=45978&type=media
    (No, this is not an April Fool's joke.)
    (4/1/11) - Adam Rippon, a two-time World Junior champion and the gold medalist at the 2010 International Skating Union (ISU) Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, announced today that he has ended his two-year professional relationship with coach Brian Orser and will train with Ghislain Briand, who has served as a member of his coaching staff for the past two years.

"At this time I need a change in the way I've been training," Rippon said. "I've been working with Ghislain for more than two years, so the transition is natural and makes sense."

Best of luck to Adam.

Custom Title
    I thought this was a joke at first but in a way I'm not surprise. I try not to read to much in body language in the kiss n cry but something seem off for me.

Good luck to Adam. I hope this move brings him continued success especially with the 3axel.

Custom Title
    We all saw how cold Orser was with Adam at KC, and perhaps that explains the breakup. He seems to be a difficult person to deal with.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    wow. but not exactly surprising considering the apparent tension between Orser and Adam lately. Seems like Gao is the only one left. Funny how Yu-na really made Orse, more than the other way around. Now that she is gone his world dosen't look so rosy anymore.

If skaters have more than one coach as Adam had, I don't completely know who does what to bring their skating to the podium.

From the 4CC LP, I thought Adam had a well laid out routine which he skated to with fine finesse. Unfortunately, he screwed up the 3A. Was he hit hard for that Fall? I would not have put him on the podium, but should he consider leaving his coach because of not placing above the Japanese power house and Abbott??

He's now had Morosov, Orser, and now Briand. I do wish him all the best, but imo, 3 strikes you're out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    wow. but not exactly surprising considering the apparent tension between Orser and Adam lately. Seems like Gao is the only one left. Funny how Yu-na really made Orse, more than the other way around. Now that she is gone his world dosen't look so rosy anymore.
    It is not Brian's fault that Adam cannot master the 3 Axel and get the better records as a senior. Adam should know that.
    It is a problem of relationship between the two... as was in the case of Yuna.
    Who better can teach the 3Axel than Mr. 3Axel ?

Adam just need a more warm-hearted coach who can take care of him mentally.
    Remember? Brian didn't even realize there is a huge rift between him and Yuna.
    He thought all the problems started from Yuna's mom.

Brian is just a straight, reasonable guy that nobody can blame him for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    He's had quiet the successful skating career himself, though as a coach it's becoming more questionable. We'll see what (and how) Christina Gao does going forward.

Good luck to Adam.