Adam Rippon Makes a Coaching Change | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon Makes a Coaching Change

So if anybody is interested in reading, please let me know. (And I promise to create a new thread for it, to discuss about different coaches and their coaching styles, maybe?)

Mot, that would be splendid! One of the great things about this forum is that we have well-informed members who can report to us about things written or said in other languages. Added to that, Nobuo Sato is one of my favorite coaches (especially because of his greatest student so far, his daughter Yuka) and Takahashi is one of my favorite skaters. Anything you get the time to translate will be a treat to read.

^ I second Olympia. How could any fan of skating today not be interested in what the great coaches of Japan have to say?

sunny0760

On the Ice
I have an access to a rather interesting (well, I thought anyway) article about Nobuo Sato published in Japanese broadsheet a few weeks ago, talking about his experiences in his competitive days, what it was like when he started coaching in the 60's (Japan was very much a figure skating back water then), what he learnt from European and North American coaching styles, and what he believes in as a coach, etc.
So if anybody is interested in reading, please let me know. (And I promise to create a new thread for it, to discuss about different coaches and their coaching styles, maybe?)

I could not find an article about Utako Nagamitsu but I think this is the Sato article you are saying.
For those who understand Japanese...
http://www.nikkei.com/sports/column...E38781E2E2E2E2;p=9694E0EBE2E3E0E2E3E2E1EBE3E1
http://ameblo.jp/rittiren-keserasera/entry-10834356173.html
mot, I am waiting for your new thread and transtlation! According to this, Mr. Sato's foremost interest is to build great basic skating skills.

On topic of this thread, I hope the things will work for both of them after this decision.

About Mr. Orser, I still have respect for him and generally, I don't have any problem with the coaches who tend to boast about their student.
He was not just a great coach... he used to be a star himself. He was fun to watch and listen to. Those were the days!
When he came to Korea with Gao for JWC last month, he said nothing about Yuna except wishing for the best for her.

lcd

Match Penalty
Adam is so young. The journey is long. Brian has several Olympic generations in him yet to coach I expect. They are both well positioned to thrive but we all should expect bumps and unexpected turns along the way.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Thanks, sigrid. Here's the direct link to and an excerpt from today's Hersh's Globetrotting blog on Orser/Rippon: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...on-what-does-latest-split-mean-for-orser.html
``One of Brian's positive qualities is he is personally invested in and affected by how his students skate,'' Rippon said, ``The problem was if I wasn't skating well, I felt he was upset as well. His emotional state, I just fed off that.''

When told Rippon felt that way, Orser said it would spur him to curb his enthusiasm.

``It's just human for my coach to be disappointed if a skater doesn't do the best he can,'' Orser said. ``I made it clear to him I was never disappointed in him. I take responsibility, so I get disappointed with myself.

``The bottom line is I have to be less emotional when my skaters don't skate well. But every coach who believes in a student will be disappointed with they don't skate well.''

Excerpt from the Icenetwork article (Rippon was interviewed on Monday, April 4):
Icenetwork: What will working full-time with Ghislain [Briand] bring to your skating?

Rippon: He is very technical. Everything is very simplistic, and I really thrive in the kind of environment where it's just technical and not very emotional, so I can keep focused on the task at hand. I've been working with Ghislain for a long time and I do like working with him, I get a lot out of it.

For me, coaching-wise, opposites attract. I'm the kind of person who can feed off different people's emotions. I'm sensitive to that. If someone is nervous, I feel that. Ghislain, he's constantly very level-headed. When things are going great, he's still very level-headed; when things aren't going well, [he will say] things are going to get better.

Icenetwork: So, you are staying at Toronto's Cricket Club full-time.

Rippon: When I went to Toronto about two-and-a-half years ago, I went there for the environment. I really love it there. It's such a great place to train. The community of people involved in the rink is great. I don't want to lose that. If I changed rinks I would have to start all over again and I really wasn't looking to do that.

As far as [former coach Orser] also at the rink, it's such a small piece of the puzzle. It probably leads for maybe a few weeks of awkwardness, but the practice intensity and everything else doesn't change. People have changed coaches within the rink before. It's something that happened, and I know that Brian respects my decision, and he understands what I need and we just move forward from here.

As a believer in natural talent, I do not believe skaters are blessed with unlimited air rotations. No matter how much Adam works on a Quad, it wil never be easy for him to execute one on demand.

Good pianists are blessed with long fingers; Baseball Pitchers have natural speed in throwing; Wagnerian Opera singers have special volume in their vocals. The list goes on....... Lady figure skaters should have supple bodies for the modern spins.

It doesn't mean they can not perform well. There are other things in the arts and sports to make up for it. Adam can do well as best he can. Not even Mishin can guarantee a quad for every skater - just the ones blessed with natural rotation.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As a believer in natural talent, I do not believe skaters are blessed with unlimited air rotations. No matter how much Adam works on a Quad, it wil never be easy for him to execute one on demand.

Good pianists are blessed with long fingers; Baseball Pitchers have natural speed in throwing; Wagnerian Opera singers have special volume in their vocals. The list goes on....... Lady figure skaters should have supple bodies for the modern spins.

It doesn't mean they can not perform well. There are other things in the arts and sports to make up for it. Adam can do well as best he can. Not even Mishin can guarantee a quad for every skater - just the ones blessed with natural rotation.

Indeed. Although Adam's body type is not very adverse to the quad the way Evan's was. No matter how hard he tried, Evan was never really going to have a consistent quad due to his size. Adam is shorter and has a more solid muscle type, almost like Takahashi.