Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Adam Rippon Makes a Coaching Change

Custom Title
    I can't make any assumptions about whether Orser is cold with his students. Before YuNa left him, many of us were complimenting him on how well he protected YuNa during her run-up to the Olympics, and what a nurturing environment he and David Wilson had created for her. It couldn't all have been Wilson. I have no way to know what went on behind the scenes, but the break-up with YuNa must have been such a kick in the stomach for him. Maybe you're right, Mavy, and he's still nursing that injury. Whether that has influenced his relationship with Rippon or with any other skater probably isn't evident to outsiders.

Rippon will move on and find another good coach, I suppose, but I feel really bad for Orser this year.

so is this "Brian Orser is the Devil part 2"? Because I think we could really do without rehashing that bit of discussion, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    so is this "Brian Orser is the Devil part 2"? Because I think we could really do without rehashing that bit of discussion, don't you?
    I don't think Orser is the devil. I think its somewhere in between Brian is a horrible coach, and Brian is the best coach in the world and its not his fault at all that its not working with his students...

I really think Gao for example has improved greatly under Orser, and Yu-na won OGM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I don't think Orser is the devil. I think its somewhere in between Brian is a horrible coach, and Brian is the best coach in the world and its not his fault at all that its not working with his students...

I really think Gao for example has improved greatly under Orser, and Yu-na won OGM.

I still don't know how much Orser has to do with Yuna's win though...

One problem I see is that Adam is still struggling with his 3A after two years of training with Orser. If anything, it was one area in which Orser had a chance to shine as a coach by demonstrating his coaching skill because he is supposedly the master of the jump.

you can have all the training in the world and still go back on bad technique when you're nervous. Adam reminds me of Johnny Weir when he first hit the big leagues: SCARED TO DEATH.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    you can have all the training in the world and still go back on bad technique when you're nervous. Adam reminds me of Johnny Weir when he first hit the big leagues: SCARED TO DEATH.
    Interesting. I know a nature of coach-student relationship has a lot to do with how well a skater do. Some student requires a lot of "hand-holding" whereas others are more self-motivated, e.g., Evan L.

I could be wrong but Adam comes across to me as someone who is rather high maintenance (maybe a bit like Jonny ).

In any case, I wish the new Adam-Briand is the successful relationship for Rippon.

I don't get the discussion of Joubert and Reynolds in this thread unless it's for comparison purposes which unfortunately I do not see.

Adam doesn't seem to have much more going for him in the Technical. His 3A is inconsisstent and there has never been any mention of a quad. His spins and footwork are more than adequate.

Adam's style of presentation is, imo, standard and not podium brilliant. However, I can picture him as a top 10 skater for a few more years. can't think of a new coach who can give him a winning style. It will be interesting to see what Briand can do for him that Orser could not do.

I was hoping that this was an April Fools' joke, but apparently it's true. I wish both Adam and Brian all the best.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I thought Adam did improve under Brian's instruction. This season was a weird one for him. I don't think this breakup is an indication of Orser's coaching abilities. One has to take into account not only the pupil's talent but circumstances as well.

Quote Originally Posted by parma View Post
    I still don't know how much Orser has to do with Yuna's win though...

One problem I see is that Adam is still struggling with his 3A after two years of training with Orser. If anything, it was one area in which Orser had a chance to shine as a coach by demonstrating his coaching skill because he is supposedly the master of the jump.
    Not everyone can do the triple axel. Adam's struggled with the 3axel way before he went to Brian. It may be a talent issue not an Orser issue.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post

But wouldn't Yu-na have won anyway? For example she seems happy and looks to be in great shape training with Peter Oppagard, could she not have won the Gold under his tutelage? She is a great talent, that accounts for something no matter who her coach is.

Gao has improved, but has not lived up the hype. Not saying that was Orser's fault, as she was rather over-hyped to begin with.

Custom Title
    I think the 3A is more of a consistency in competition issue for Rippon than anything else. He has landed them fine in past competitions (both 3A landed in the FS at 2009 Junior Worlds, 2010 Four Continents, and Japan Open this past fall).

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    there has never been any mention of a quad
    There were mentions this season but the quad wasn't ready for competition.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-02-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    But wouldn't Yu-na have won anyway? For example she seems happy and looks to be in great shape training with Peter Oppagard, could she not have won the Gold under his tutelage? She is a great talent, that accounts for something no matter who her coach is.

Gao has improved, but has not lived up the hype. Not saying that was Orser's fault, as she was rather over-hyped to begin with.
    I agree Gao has improved and considering her growth sput she had a good year.

Remember the year Michelle grew two inches, or whatever it was? That was not her best season. Gao grew alot more than that and kept her jumps in in pretty good shape. I think Christina had to adjust to her new height and that was probably a bigger issue for her last season than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    I was hoping that this was an April Fools' joke, but apparently it's true. I wish both Adam and Brian all the best.
    I still don't get the Brian here, if it is the name Briand as the prime coach. Did Joubert actually advise him to leave Orser? I don't follow gossip that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post

Oh I absolutely think that Yu-na could have won without Orser. I felt the entire time people were calling Kim ungrateful, and suggesting Orser made her, that people were ignoring where Kim was before she went to Brian. Junior World champion, Grand Prix Final champ. Amazing jumping technique, and jumps that came out of huge speed since before she ever came to Orser's door. Not to mention the fact that Yu-na already knew how to compete as well.
    The coaches who coached her before she went to Brian were not given NEARLY enough credit. It doesn't mean Brian isn't a good coach. As for Christiana, if you want to talk about her improvement look at where Gao was before she went to Brian. Still don't know if she's the next star though.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast