Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Adam Rippon Makes a Coaching Change

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    As I said in the post, the announcement leaves me with questions still. No answers.

Yes. In the video, Adam says, "I went out and called my coach, who was watching on NBC, Ghislain Briand, who is back in Toronto..."

http://www.universalsports.com/video...a44314d8f.html
    I have thought about this too. If Rippon was working with Briand all this season why would he need to switch coaches if he was a behind the scenes coach already? Why not just continue to work with him? Was 4cc 2010 the only competition Briand went to with Rippon? I think there has to be more to it than that. I saw all the practices at Skate Canada this year including the collision between Adam and Patrick (It was horrible thought they were both really hurt) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80ouAg4l5Q
    Nothing stood out to me as unusual. The arena was somewhat empty during the practices and you could hear the exchanges between the coaches and skaters. Brian looked very frustrated during some of the practices, I remember some of us getting mad that he was overreacting but I wouldn't say mean. At one point Adam came to the boards for a tissue he was coughing quite a bit (if I remember correctly he had a cold) and when he skated away Brian knocked away the tissue box to the floor and kicked it. It was weird. My guess is that something happened either at or after this competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclare View Post
    At one point Adam came to the boards for a tissue he was coughing quite a bit (if I remember correctly he had a cold)
    Yes, according one canadian newspaper, in an article published right after the competition:

American Adam Rippon, who trains under legendary Canadian skater Brian Orser in Toronto, finished third, despite battling a nasty cold and asthma all week.

I think the fact that he called his assistant coach is very telling and it can be as simple as Briand being able to put Adam in a good state of mind before he skates.
    I don't deal well with authority figures and do well with bosses who are more nurturing and supportive. Maybe Brian is just too intense for Adam.

I don't think anyone is the bad guy, just some relationships work better than others. If this past season wasn't the 'make or break' season for Adam this next season most definitely is. His timing for this is good, he has all spring and summer to work his butt off with his new coach.

Custom Title
    Re, Adam at Skate Canada, he blogged about the collision with Patrick. I quoted the relevent part on Adam Rippon's Blog or how his crash with Patrick saved his Skate Canada competition! thread. (Well there is a link there too. I was a little confused because of the posting problem related to GS policy.) He had a very bad cold and was in a deep self-pity mood until he was shaken up by the collision. Interesting glimpse into his head.

Though Adam's fall was more spectacular and some haters were blaming Patrick, I was quite concerned for Patrick being slow to get up because he had just recently hurt his back very badly and the pain came back though he tried to hush it.

Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    I think the fact that he called his assistant coach is very telling and it can be as simple as Briand being able to put Adam in a good state of mind before he skates.
    I don't deal well with authority figures and do well with bosses who are more nurturing and supportive. Maybe Brian is just too intense for Adam.

I don't think anyone is the bad guy, just some relationships work better than others. If this past season wasn't the 'make or break' season for Adam this next season most definitely is. His timing for this is good, he has all spring and summer to work his butt off with his new coach.
    I said something similar about connection and relationship on the last page.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm happy for Adam, he seems like a gentle soul. I can't imagine he would respond well to abusive behavior. I'm sure it works for some athletes, but not all. Adam is still very young and could be around another 10 years+ on the senior level so I'm happy he made this decision quickly before his entire career and self-esteem deteriorated. I think Brian Orser is too cocky - at one competition before the Olympics he boasted to the press that Yu-Na could not be beaten, nobobdy could touch her. She then proceeded to fall apart and .. yep, lost to an inferior field of skaters. I don't think coaches should make statements like that about their athletes in public.

Custom Title
    ^^^You expect Adam to be competing in his 30s?

Which Kim's competition are you refering to? Any video - both of Orser's bragging and of Kim's skate?

Tripping on the Podium
    why not -- how old is Plushenko? Maria Butryskaya won worlds at 29 and men peak later in career.

It was a competition in the Olympic season, probably a Grand Prix but whatever, she was the favorite but I remember him making the comments and cringing -- then watched her fall all over the place. I'll try to find online but I don't remember the name of the comp.

It must have been 2009 Skate America. I don't remember any specific boasting by Orser, but he could be forgiven if he had. Everybody believed that Kim could not be beat at that event. Especially after she went out and set the all time world record for a short program and was ahead by 17 points (and behind only Lysacek for the men )

Oops. She fell apart in the LP, landing only three triples finishing second in the long to Rachael Flatt. (Still won overall, though.)

The only direct quote I found from Orser (from Phil Hersh's coverage) was the usual pablum.

"She knows she is the favorite, but you want to go out and skate well and show everybody you are what you are," said her coach, two-time Olympic silver medalist Brian Orser of Canada.
    By the way, about the Kim-Orser split, I found an interesting interview with Orser (on the Japan Skates site) from 2007 with the following exchange.

JS: The time limit for you coaching her...is that open right now? Indefinite?

BR: I believe the goal is through Olympics...that's been the plan so far!
    I think the "contract" between the two was pretty much "fee for services, pay as you go." After the Olympics Yu-na was not really sure what she wanted to do next, and when there was no word from the Yu-na camp for a number of months Brian felt like he had to resolve the matter one way or the other so they could both get on with their lives and careers.

Lack of communications between the principals led to grousing to third parties -- always unfortunate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    why not -- how old is Plushenko?

Maria Butryskaya won worlds at 29 and men peak later in career.
    Butyrskaya won Worlds at 26 in 1999. She competed until she was 29, through the Olympics (actually Worlds qual round) in 2002.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I don't think it's a matter of Brian being too intense, in that he might be too confident in his students' abilities. It is good to hype your students and be confident in what they can do, but by boasting that they can't be beaten (Yu Na), you might be setting their expectations way too high.

The other extreme (Frank Carroll) is someone who will actually tell people your weaknesses (someone once posted about how he believed if Linda couldn't feel the music before 1980, then she never will).

Oddly, I'd rather see Adam with a Japanese coach, like Nagakubo, or either Sato. They don't seem overconfident in their students, but they don't berate them, either.

Custom Title
    Universal Sports have in their site a little vid from Figure Skating in Harlem of Adam talking about the coaching change and his future. (I've not posted the link because I don't know if it's allowed).

He says that he didn't have too much time with Briand last season, he'll have new programs and they'll start coreographing them in May/June, he mentions David Wilson and some other new people (couldn't catch it all, the background noise was terrible)

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It must have been 2009 Skate America. I don't remember any specific boasting by Orser, but he could be forgiven if he had.
    that's probably what I'm remembering -- he was asked a question by a reporter (not a formal press conference, just a TV station reporter). It was also the way he said it - it came across as very rude

^^^
    So what? Being rude is very masculin, and since Adam is masculin, he can be rude right back. If you grew up in the slum dog of a depression, you would understand that.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    ^^^
    So what? Being rude is very masculin, and since Adam is masculin, he can be rude right back. If you grew up in the slum dog of a depression, you would understand that.
    HUH? not sure I'm following-- I was talking about Brian saying that nobody can beat Yu-Na at a competition a couple of years ago - the way he said it came across as very rude and arrogant.

As for Adam's age -- I still think he could skate another 10 years (and do we have to be so literal? I was just trying to say he's young and has a long career ahead of him -jeez). Many skaters could skate longer but prefer to go professional for many reasons - money, wanting more free time, wanting to pursue other things. I could see Plushenko winning the next gold at Olympics and he'd be pushing 30. If he was healthy - if he had continued skating all along w/o retiring!
    Last edited by Snoopy; 04-05-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast