Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Adam Rippon Makes a Coaching Change

Tripping on the Podium
    and yes, I know Plushenko is likely not able to compete in the next Olympics! I think if an athlete continues training and stays in shape and takes proper care of themselves (not competing 'through the pain', etc.) they can extend their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Butyrskaya won Worlds at 26 in 1999. She competed until she was 29, through the Olympics (actually Worlds qual round) in 2002.
    And at age 29 won two Grand Prix events and Europeans.

Quote Originally Posted by sigrid View Post
    Universal Sports have in their site a little vid from Figure Skating in Harlem of Adam talking about the coaching change and his future. (I've not posted the link because I don't know if it's allowed)
    Yes, links to Universal Sports are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy
    (Orser) was asked a question by a reporter (not a formal press conference, just a TV station reporter). It was also the way he said it - it came across as very rude.
    I think I remember that now. It was on the NBC network coverage, right? To me, it did not come across as arrogant. It seemed more like Brian was a little embarrassed by the question and couldn't find the right words, so he just blurted out the truth. "Can Yu-na be beaten? Actually, no, she can't."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yes, links to Universal Sports are welcome.
    Great, here's the interview then
    http://www.universalsports.com/video...th+adam+rippon

Tripping on the Podium
    I think I remember that now. It was on the NBC network coverage, right? To me, it did not come across as arrogant. It seemed more like Brian was a little embarrassed by the question and couldn't find the right words, so he just blurted out the truth. "Can Yu-na be beaten? Actually, no, she can't."
    Yes, it would have been NBC or ABC (one of the networks). Thanks. Glad I'm not cracking up and somebody else remembers this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sigrid View Post
    Apparently, Adam was working on quad lutz at the University of De recently. Wouldnt that be incredible!!

I've always thought Orser was a little more confident and proud in interviews than other skaters. Skaters like Kurt Browning who are "aw shucks, yeah I am pretty good" come off a little better than thsoe that just come out and say "yeah, I am the best, and the judges should know that too". Orser wore his emotions on his sleeve when things didn't go his way, either. *shrugs* I don't think it overly rude, he's just a pretty proud dude.

Custom Title
    I am afraid I am going to hijack this thread - as it is a little bit about coaching; I have an access to a rather interesting (well, I thought anyway) article about Nobuo Sato published in Japanese broadsheet a few weeks ago, talking about his experiences in his competitive days, what it was like when he started coaching in the 60's (Japan was very much a figure skating back water then), what he learnt from European and North American coaching styles, and what he believes in as a coach, etc.

If some of you are interested in reading it, I will have a go at translating. It is very long, so it may take me a day or two to do so though. I also have an access to the article of the similar nature about Utako Nagamitsu, Daisuke Takahashi's coach. Her take on figure skating is very different from Sato's - she's more into dancing and movements - and their differences in interests and emphases are clearly reflected, I think, in their prized students, who they have been looking after since their junior skater days, Daisuke and Takahiko Kozuka.

So if anybody is interested in reading, please let me know. (And I promise to create a new thread for it, to discuss about different coaches and their coaching styles, maybe?)

---

Back to Adam and Brian...

I remember Adam stating his reason for leaving Morozov as there were too many students and he was not getting enough attention - am I right? Brian turned down Tomas Verner's request for being his coach last summer, stating he's got too many skaters under his wing. Perhaps that can be the reason? What Adam needs is someone who can just concentrate on him? Tomas went for Bob Emerson instead, who agreed to take him on as his 'number one skater'. That was important for Tomas more than anything, it seems.
    Last edited by mot; 04-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    Apparently, Adam was working on quad lutz at the University of De recently. Wouldnt that be incredible!!
    The proof of the Quad is in the execution at a major competition. Maybe he will put it in his GP assignment. Let's see those high level tricks in competitions.

I remember Kwan, when she could hardly walk, was said to have a 3Tx3R at practice. I call these reports as Fan Dreams.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    So if anybody is interested in reading, please let me know. (And I promise to create a new thread for it, to discuss about different coaches and their coaching styles, maybe?)
    Please, please! I wait eagerly for the new thread.

Custom Title
    I think the "contract" between the two was pretty much "fee for services, pay as you go." After the Olympics Yu-na was not really sure what she wanted to do next, and when there was no word from the Yu-na camp for a number of months Brian felt like he had to resolve the matter one way or the other so they could both get on with their lives and careers.

Lack of communications between the principals led to grousing to third parties -- always unfortunate.
    I don't want to bring up the YuNa-Brian split again, but i want to point out that the Orser-Mao agent thing was broken out then. YuNa wasn't really sure about Brian's intention either.

Custom Title
    Mot, that would be splendid! One of the great things about this forum is that we have well-informed members who can report to us about things written or said in other languages. Added to that, Nobuo Sato is one of my favorite coaches (especially because of his greatest student so far, his daughter Yuka) and Takahashi is one of my favorite skaters. Anything you get the time to translate will be a treat to read.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ I second Olympia. How could any fan of skating today not be interested in what the great coaches of Japan have to say?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

. "Can Yu-na be beaten? Actually, no, she can't."
    lol. I guess Mao showed him a thing or two last March.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spun silver View Post
    ^ i second olympia. How could any fan of skating today not be interested in what the great coaches of japan have to say?
    ita!!!

Custom Title
    I have an access to a rather interesting (well, I thought anyway) article about Nobuo Sato published in Japanese broadsheet a few weeks ago, talking about his experiences in his competitive days, what it was like when he started coaching in the 60's (Japan was very much a figure skating back water then), what he learnt from European and North American coaching styles, and what he believes in as a coach, etc.
    I could not find an article about Utako Nagamitsu but I think this is the Sato article you are saying.
    For those who understand Japanese...
    http://www.nikkei.com/sports/column/...E2E3E2E1EBE3E1
    http://ameblo.jp/rittiren-keserasera...834356173.html
    mot, I am waiting for your new thread and transtlation! According to this, Mr. Sato's foremost interest is to build great basic skating skills.

On topic of this thread, I hope the things will work for both of them after this decision.

About Mr. Orser, I still have respect for him and generally, I don't have any problem with the coaches who tend to boast about their student.
    He was not just a great coach... he used to be a star himself. He was fun to watch and listen to. Those were the days!
    When he came to Korea with Gao for JWC last month, he said nothing about Yuna except wishing for the best for her.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast