Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware'

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Also, BOP and Joe, football gives you more chances to win or turn a game around. By virtue of the game being longer, it means you have more of a chance to turn things in your favour. In skating, all you get are four minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Every play a football team makes is meant to get them a certain number of yards towards the touchtown. Some plays are more effective or well executed than others. Just because a play doesn't get the team 10 yards ahead, the minimum end result desired from every play, that doesn't mean they don't get credit for what they DID accomplish with the play. They still move forward 2, 3, 5, or however many yards it was that the play netted.
    Football Wins are based on Scorings earned. The play by play process is legitimate and in itself does not win the games. Perhaps a better analogy might be that baseball player caught between 3rd base and home plate with two players trying to tag him out. Should he get credit for almost a home run?

I have no objection to the play by play of figure skating. All defined elements should be counted for the Win. Displaying sloppy elements is not befitting a sport that claims to be artistic which is what partial credit does.

Custom Title
    A follow-up:

Broadmoor skater Bradley now top U.S. man at worlds

“I got really lucky with the way this all panned out,” Bradley said about the relocation of worlds, adding it “gave me the opportunity to catch my body up to where my mind was. I can’t tell you the gains I’ve made since nationals. I feel like a much more solid skater.”

In the buildup to worlds, Bradley, who just missed a berth in the 2010 Vancouver Games, resumed training with back-to-back world silver medalist Patrick Chan of Canada, and he had “a real balance, where I feel like I’m strong, and I’m way more confident. … I have one of the hardest programs, and to know that I can do those programs cleanly on a daily basis is a great feeling. It makes me feel like I’m competitive with the best in the world.”
    And from Month later, skaters ready for world championships:

After the disappointment of missing the Olympic team last year and needing surgery in May to repair a broken foot, Bradley didn't even plan to compete this year. He finally decided to skate in late October, and spent the next three months rushing to get himself in shape for nationals. Given the extra month to train, he finally feels as if his body is as strong as his mind.

"This five-week window, as awful as it was at first, is kind of blessing in disguise for me because it gave me a chance to improve the little details that need to be improved upon," he said.

Bradley was initially conflicted about whether worlds should even be held. He wanted to skate, but seeing the devastation in Japan was a "nightmare."

As the weeks have passed, though, he's realized that these world championships are about more than the competition, larger even than the sport itself.

"You have to go about business as planned when terrible things happen otherwise the world stops. There's a huge spot in our hearts, but we're doing our best to try to skate well," Bradley said. "I've received a lot of messages from Japanese fans wishing us their best, upset they can't watch. They're all so positive and it's just incredible.

"We want to put on a great show and show we're in this together."
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Bradley's latest with Absolute Skating:

Ryan Bradley: "I have found inner peace with my skating

I assume he's now in Moscow.

He thinks quads should be worth a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post

I assume he's now in Moscow.
    He tweeted this morning, "Goodbye Colorado, Hello Moscow."

Custom Title

"Everything else is mere details." I think I had a t-shirt with this quote when I was 16.

Medalist
    We all know it is all about the skating and the "performance". I am not a fan of the comedic short, but have seen him on many occasions perform really well. Ryan is an all-around nice guy and I hope he does well representing the U.S. and helps retain 3 spots for world competitions going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspear View Post
    I am not a fan of the comedic short, but have seen him on many occasions perform really well.
    I agree that the comedic approach in Ryan's bugle boy short program does not come across as well as it might. I think the SP is just too short to develop the theme, taking time out for all the elements. It might have been better to match a more serious short with the campy long.

Oh well, We'll see what the judges think shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree that the comedic approach in Ryan's bugle boy short program does not come across as well as it might. I think the SP is just too short to develop the theme, taking time out for all the elements. It might have been better to match a more serious short with the campy long.
    I don't think he was expecting to be the leading man going into worlds... he was just having fun. But I also want to say I got the humor of Bugle Boy... is it Worlds worthy? Theme wise probably not, but figure skating is too stuffy anyway.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Ryan's SP will be effective if he gets more SPEED. His performance at Nationals was so slow in every regard...the stroking, the spins, and the footwork. That doesn't work with the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Ryan's SP will be effective if he gets more SPEED. His performance at Nationals was so slow in every regard...the stroking, the spins, and the footwork. That doesn't work with the music.
    spins were painfully slow, I agree... I'm sure he's upped that at least in training.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19