Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware' | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware'

janetfan

Match Penalty
And under 6.0, Mao's lutz wouldn't have been penalized and while it's not her favorite/most reputed jump, she can (and has done in competition) triple salchows before. And don't forget her spins and spirals (her spiral position is imo noticeably prettier than Midori's).

Yu-na doesn't have the 3A but most ladies during 6.0 didn't have it either- however, she does have a massive 3Lz+3T as well as a pretty darn good 3F+3T combo as well as decent spirals and strong edging and flow (especially in her spirals which while not the most aesthetically pleasing, have good ice coverage and speed) as well as textbook technique on all her jumps (yes even her 3Loop from the ones she did complete in competition i.e. 2007 Cup of Russia).

Yuna or Mao can't match Midori's jumps. She does a 3Lz, 3A and 3 Lo in the first 90 seconds, 7 triples in all with a 3T+3T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKGasODrAcU

Under 6.0 Midori would have been seen as having a better 3Lz than Mao and a better 3A. That's what judges decided. Because they did not write in down in a little box and post it on the internet the next day does not mean they were not evaluating tech and presentation.

FTR, I see plenty of CoP era skaters get away with dubious looking lutz jumps. We saw the argument all season long about Adelina. We saw Sasha get away with it in her SP at US Natls last season. There are plenty of skaters with borderline edges on the lutz and flip in the CoP era. Sometimes it gets called and many times we see leniency.

Judges are human and the sway of politics, TV money and favors owed is still part of the sport.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Wow, this thread has gone way off-topic. When I saw so many pages, I thought that something had happened to Ryan.

LOL, sorry, that really cracked me up. I was going to post something about Ryan's strategy for the 2011 Worlds but seeing how this thread has become anything but Ryan Bradley, I think I'll just stand clear of the kids' playground.

Under 6.0 Midori would have been seen as having a better 3Lz than Mao and a better 3A. That's what judges decided. Because they did not write in down in a little box and post it on the internet the next day does not mean they were not evaluating tech and presentation.
As I said on another thread, all those Bullets in the 5 component parts were all known to the honest judges in the 6.0 system, and they were included in the Performance Score. In the PC scoring, however, they can justify badly executed Tech by upping what is deserved.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Can you imagine a Football Player getting 4 points for almost making a touchdown?

Every play a football team makes is meant to get them a certain number of yards towards the touchtown. Some plays are more effective or well executed than others. Just because a play doesn't get the team 10 yards ahead, the minimum end result desired from every play, that doesn't mean they don't get credit for what they DID accomplish with the play. They still move forward 2, 3, 5, or however many yards it was that the play netted.

janetfan

Match Penalty
As I said on another thread, all those Bullets in the 5 component parts were all known to the honest judges in the 6.0 system, and they were included in the Performance Score. In the PC scoring, however, they can justify badly executed Tech by upping what is deserved.

My favorite all-time example is Sarah Hughes from the SLC Olympics.
I wish I had a nickel for every post I read that said Sarah got away with murder and they did not penaize her for a UR.

Last time I checked Sarah did not receive any 6.0's for tech in SLC.

There is no question in my mind that the judges got it right that night and they did not judge Sarah to be perfect.

To quote Cosmo Kramer, "poise counts" ;)

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Every play a football team makes is meant to get them a certain number of yards towards the touchtown. Some plays are more effective or well executed than others. Just because a play doesn't get the team 10 yards ahead, the minimum end result desired from every play, that doesn't mean they don't get credit for what they DID accomplish with the play. They still move forward 2, 3, 5, or however many yards it was that the play netted.

Also, BOP and Joe, football gives you more chances to win or turn a game around. By virtue of the game being longer, it means you have more of a chance to turn things in your favour. In skating, all you get are four minutes.

^ :yes: Plus, in football. if you don't make it on third down, you've got fourth down to try again.. And if you don't make a great play yourself, maybe your teammates will carry you for a play.

skfan

Final Flight
my husband says that if a kicked field goal ball hits either the cross bar or one of the uprights and THEN goes in, it should be worth 4 points. for extra amusement. that's GOE +1 for a base value of 3. and if it hits the bars and then bounce out, 2 pointer. ^__^ like falling on a quad, right?

still, aesthetically, a butt landing is just... am i not in the skating as art thread?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Although this will be an exceptional Worlds as it is held so late in the season, I still think that to land on the podium, Bradley needs to beat skaters like e.g. Chan, Takahashi, Joubert, Verner, Oda, Brezina, Kozuka and Amodio. I have great difficulties in seeing it happening. More realistic and a great achievement for Bradley would be his placement among 7-10, in my opinion.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I agree. To argue that new fans haven't come on board since COP is to ignore an entire nation (South Korea). I'd also point out that ice dance is much more popular now with actual skaters, and I think COP has a great deal to do with that.

I disagree. I would say that the only reason South Korea are on board is because of Yuna Kim not because of COP. 6.0, COP or rotten tomatoe scoring could have been in place, and the popularity of figure skating would have sky rocketed in South Korea simply because of a stand out skater in a country with previously no skating heritage.

If ice dancing is more popoular with skaters, that isn't the demographic I was talking about. I was talking about people with no previous interest in the sport being turned on to it because of COP. Popoularity of a discipline within an already established group of skaters does not show this. I also think it might be country specific, since the UK has always been a country where ice dance is popular (again thanks to stars in that field - T&D). Senior nationals often sees twice or even three times the number of entrants in the ice dance section compared to the ladies.

Hell, I'll point out that COP made ME a fan of figure skating again, and did so in a way that 6.0 couldn't hope to touch. I think the athleticism is better and the artistry more intriguing.

That's great that it made you more interested. I've been divided by COP. As an adult skater I have been more up for creating programmes and competing. Training elements that i previously didn't, working on my basic skating much more in order to fulfill the COP requirements. As an arm chair fan my interest has wained because of COP in a way i didn't even consider imagineable a few years ago.

Ant

Also, BOP and Joe, football gives you more chances to win or turn a game around. By virtue of the game being longer, it means you have more of a chance to turn things in your favour. In skating, all you get are four minutes.

Football Wins are based on Scorings earned. The play by play process is legitimate and in itself does not win the games. Perhaps a better analogy might be that baseball player caught between 3rd base and home plate with two players trying to tag him out. Should he get credit for almost a home run?

I have no objection to the play by play of figure skating. All defined elements should be counted for the Win. Displaying sloppy elements is not befitting a sport that claims to be artistic which is what partial credit does.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A follow-up:

Broadmoor skater Bradley now top U.S. man at worlds

“I got really lucky with the way this all panned out,” Bradley said about the relocation of worlds, adding it “gave me the opportunity to catch my body up to where my mind was. I can’t tell you the gains I’ve made since nationals. I feel like a much more solid skater.”

In the buildup to worlds, Bradley, who just missed a berth in the 2010 Vancouver Games, resumed training with back-to-back world silver medalist Patrick Chan of Canada, and he had “a real balance, where I feel like I’m strong, and I’m way more confident. … I have one of the hardest programs, and to know that I can do those programs cleanly on a daily basis is a great feeling. It makes me feel like I’m competitive with the best in the world.”

And from Month later, skaters ready for world championships:

After the disappointment of missing the Olympic team last year and needing surgery in May to repair a broken foot, Bradley didn't even plan to compete this year. He finally decided to skate in late October, and spent the next three months rushing to get himself in shape for nationals. Given the extra month to train, he finally feels as if his body is as strong as his mind.

"This five-week window, as awful as it was at first, is kind of blessing in disguise for me because it gave me a chance to improve the little details that need to be improved upon," he said.

Bradley was initially conflicted about whether worlds should even be held. He wanted to skate, but seeing the devastation in Japan was a "nightmare."

As the weeks have passed, though, he's realized that these world championships are about more than the competition, larger even than the sport itself.

"You have to go about business as planned when terrible things happen otherwise the world stops. There's a huge spot in our hearts, but we're doing our best to try to skate well," Bradley said. "I've received a lot of messages from Japanese fans wishing us their best, upset they can't watch. They're all so positive and it's just incredible.

"We want to put on a great show and show we're in this together."

Last edited:

Lightspear

Rinkside
We all know it is all about the skating and the "performance". I am not a fan of the comedic short, but have seen him on many occasions perform really well. Ryan is an all-around nice guy and I hope he does well representing the U.S. and helps retain 3 spots for world competitions going forward.

I am not a fan of the comedic short, but have seen him on many occasions perform really well.

I agree that the comedic approach in Ryan's bugle boy short program does not come across as well as it might. I think the SP is just too short to develop the theme, taking time out for all the elements. It might have been better to match a more serious short with the campy long.

Oh well, We'll see what the judges think shortly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree that the comedic approach in Ryan's bugle boy short program does not come across as well as it might. I think the SP is just too short to develop the theme, taking time out for all the elements. It might have been better to match a more serious short with the campy long.

I don't think he was expecting to be the leading man going into worlds... he was just having fun. But I also want to say I got the humor of Bugle Boy... is it Worlds worthy? Theme wise probably not, but figure skating is too stuffy anyway.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ryan's SP will be effective if he gets more SPEED. His performance at Nationals was so slow in every regard...the stroking, the spins, and the footwork. That doesn't work with the music.