Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware' | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware'

janetfan

Match Penalty
What do you think a squeaky clean Bradley would score?.

Plus, will his mocking program really go over well in Russia?

I think the Russian crowd will appreciate Ryan, particularly if he skates well.
I am not so sure how they will react to a certain skater who has publicly disrespected Plushenko, a skating icon and hero in Russia.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
I think the Russian crowd will appreciate Ryan, particularly if he skates well.
I am not so sure how they will react to a certain bigmouthed skater who has publicly disrespected Plushenko, a skating icon and hero in Russia.

I think the Russians would be thrilled by a Patrick Chan victory. :laugh: Chan's got a good chance at the title this year, perhaps even more so than Takahashi, if you go by the judges' esteem of him in recent competitions.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree and hope the guy who skates the best wins.

But no reason to insult the intelligence of the Russian fans or accuse Russians of having no sense of humor. That seems a provincial attitude at best and much worse if I were to be totally honest.

On the other hand the the disrespect Chan showed to Plushy and could not back up last season is not imagined but very real.

Do you think Russians suffer from memory loss?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Even Plushenko has said recently that it's time now for him to learn from some other skaters.

A Russian fan of Patrick who had her picture taken with Patrick in Beijing, said she only liked Patrick and Lambiel but not Plush. She also said Tarasova loved Patrick. Maybe the media created Olympic brouhaha is over and real skating fans appreciate good skating and Russian fans particularly appreciate quad jumps.

Krislite

Medalist
I agree and hope the guy who skates the best wins.

But no reason to insult the intelligence of the Russian fans or accuse Russians of having no sense of humor. That seems a provincial attitude at best and much worse if I were to be totally honest.

On the other hand the the disrespect Chan showed to Plushy and could not back up last season is not imagined but very real.

Do you think Russians suffer from memory loss?

The "LOL" emoticon was intended to indicate a sarcastic tone. In all seriouness I'm not sure how the Russians would take it, or how they really feel about Patrick Chan.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The "LOL" emoticon was intended to indicate a sarcastic tone. In all seriouness I'm not sure how the Russians would take it, or how they really feel about Patrick Chan.

I think if Patrick skates well they will really like him. He is a great skater. But not so sure if there won't be a few fans in the arena that will not be with him.

I also have this image of Plushy sitting by the boards and giving Patrick the stare. :eek:

As far as I recall Evan is the only skater in many years that was not intimidated by Plushy.

fscric

On the Ice
Yes Mathman you can quote yourself verbatim to prove your utter sincerity and you might be but I will give you explanations why it was perceived otherwise. Basically your zealous praise and estimation of Chan's scoring were 1) uncharacteristic of yourself, especially when such praise came with and after the direct derision of his fans. You don't normally express admiration for Chan and you don't exalt your real idol in the same manner; and 2) uncharacteristic of Chan fans on this board and more akin to his detractors.

That was exactly how I felt about Mathman's post. But if he said he meant what he said with no sarcasm, I'd take his word for it and move on.

There are many skaters that I don't care about but I hope every one would skate as best as they could so that their fans will have something to cheer about; but as a fan of Chan, I wish him the best of luck.

fscric

On the Ice
I think if Patrick skates well they will really like him. He is a great skater. But not so sure if there won't be a few fans in the arena that will not be with him.

There was also this rumour that the Chinese fans were prepared to boo him and put up derogatory banner at the GPF but they changed their opinion of him after having met him in person. Of course it is possible that some Russian fans are as unforgiving as the Chan detractors on the message boards, but I do believe there are fans who can appreciate talent when they see one, it's not as if Plushenko was the only talented skater in the world.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
And when someone does not say that, you should not pretend that he did.

You should not nurse in your mind the fiction that you heard those words when someone says nothing of the kind, but rather says in the most straighforward way possible that he thinks Chan is far ahead of the field and is the man to beat at Worlds.

Lets be clear. I don't mean that you said the things I referred to. There are people here who did. That is the context within which I'm debating.

----

Back to my first comment in this thread: Bradley should aim for gold - so should everyone competing. And it seems he's doing the requisite work in order to improve everything, from the levels of the quality of the jumps, to go along with his pretty remarkable showmanship and audience rapport. Given how many comebacks we've had this season (Carolina Kostner, Alissa Czisny, Shawn Sawyer, Konstantin Menshov, Sarah Meier, Ryan Bradley already; Tomas Verner winning his first GP gold ever, Joubert winning the EC LP after a disappointing opening half to the season), it's almost unfair to hope for anything less than the best for him - he seems like a terrific guy and is definitely a worthy face for American figure skating.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
How do you come up with these numbers? Bradley's international LP PB is a total of 145.97 (75.17 TES + 70.80 PCS) whereas his Nationals is 151.51 total (78.64 TES + 73.34 PCS). Your estimate of his best will put his total over 160. I constructed an Extremely Good Case Scenario for him on Shawn Sawyer thread that gave him another extra 5 points for well executed quads while keeping his PCS. You are allowing the possibility of his Worlds PCS to be higher than at Nationals while adding another 10 TES points. WOW.

Bradley's LP personal best at Nationals is higher than 151. Look at his 2010 performance.

I say he will score in the high 80's (at least) for technical merit if he skates perfectly because that's what the numbers say. There is no arguing against it. The base value for his planned program in terms of technical merit is 85-something. We must assume some +GOE as well for a best-case scenario and, assuming VERY stingy +GOE marks, that puts him at at least he high 80's. If the marks aren't stingy then he could get into the 90's on the technical mark for a best case scenario.

As for the PCS, he will be in the final flight if he skates his SP perfectly, he's the American champion, and he has 2 Quads and 2 Triple Axels in his LP. IF Ryan does the very best he can, the PCS will certainly be at least 75-ish. Nobody has landed 2 Quads and 2 Triple Axels cleanly in a LP since 2004 (AFAIK...although Joubert did do 3 Quads + a Triple Axel at 2006 CoR). There's no way he won't get a decent PCS score out of respect for that accomplishment, even though his basics/transitions are lacking and he doesn't have reputation/momentum on his side. He does have other charms to his performances, it's not like he is just one of the Chinese jumping beans.

Can he do it? Who knows. But I'm looking at a best-case scenario here and I very much disapprove of the way people are saying he has "no chance". Ryan skated very well in the LP at 2010 Nationals, landing 2 clean Quads, and if he goes even further than that at Worlds with the Triple Axels (and does his best in the SP as well), he certainly COULD be on the podium.

Last edited:
Fans the world over, all appreciate a well skated program with impeccable technique. It's not the medal; it's the Sport that counts.

My personal wish is that Chan and Takahashi fight it out for the gold, and I tend to root a bit more for Takahashi, because I love his work so much. But I do hope that Bradley makes it all the way up to the best he's capable of, though I'm not as emotionally involved with his efforts as I am with Alissa's. If Ryan Bradley does really well, I'll be happy, but if Czisny does really well, I'll be totally thrilled.

janetfan

Match Penalty
My personal wish is that Chan and Takahashi fight it out for the gold, and I tend to root a bit more for Takahashi, because I love his work so much. But I do hope that Bradley makes it all the way up to the best he's capable of, though I'm not as emotionally involved with his efforts as I am with Alissa's. If Ryan Bradley does really well, I'll be happy, but if Czisny does really well, I'll be totally thrilled.

And my wish is that Oda, Kozuka, Joubert, Werner, Bradley and the young Americans and Brezina, etc make their mark.

My deepest wish is that a splatting Chan does NOT win unless the others are splatting just as badly.

ETA: Not even sure which Russian guy is skating, but I certainly hope he has a great skate. Is it Dmitriev? I don't know him so well, but his Papa is a skating God in my mind :)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1L44jVVUE&feature=related

Wanna take a guess where this was? I hear a lot of clapping during the performance and cheering.

Gee Wally, duh, I can't guess where that is (and I didn't have to even open the link ;)).

It's OK if you are supporting the "human zamboni", but hope you can accept other fans might be for someone else.

Maybe some of us even appreciate a clean skate and not some of the slop the CoP is throwing at the diminishing base of US skating fans.

Good job, keep it up and soon no one will be watching and you strange birds from ISU can declare a speed skater as the world champion. :sheesh:

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
It's OK if you are supporting the "human zamboni", but hope you can accept other fans might be for someone else.

Who is "human zamboni"? :confused:

Maybe some of us even appreciate a clean skate and not the crap the CoP is throwing at the diminishing base of US skating fans.

Are you sure about that? I remember recent threads around the time of GPF where skating TV rating in the US has gone up significantly around the time Alissa won the GPF. Many posters were celebrating it as good news. If Alissa or Rachael wins a medal, which I believe Alissa can if she skates perfectly, then I am willing to wage that you are going to see a lot of US fans suddenly coming back in big numbers. And it will be big news in the U.S. Also, the 4CC next year will be in the U.S. once again. If it is a money losing event, the USFS wouldn't have asked to host it. After all, they could very well give the event to Japan instead until it can host Worlds again. The claim that the base of US skating fans is constantly diminishing is as credible as the same old same old who blame the CoP for all the ills that has happened since 9-11. :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Who is "human zamboni"? :confused:

Are you sure about that? I remember recent threads around the time of GPF where skating TV rating in the US has gone up significantly around the time Alissa won the GPF. Many posters were celebrating it as good news. If Alissa or Rachael wins a medal, which I believe Alissa can if she skates perfectly, then I am willing to wage that you are going to see a lot of US fans suddenly coming back in big numbers. And it will be big news in the U.S. Also, the 4CC next year will be in the U.S. once again. If it is a money losing event, the USFS wouldn't have asked to host it. After all, they could very well give the event to Japan instead until it can host Worlds again. The claim that the base of US skating fans is constantly diminishing is as credible as the same old same old who blame the CoP for all the ills that has happened since 9-11. :laugh:

Gee Mr Wizard, I did not see Alissa win the GPF on Live TV? What planet are you from where you saw it Live on TV? :think: :sheesh:

Human zamboni = your favorite, Patrick Chan.

Sorry but a system that thinks he won SC with that laughable performance is never going to be good for something that wants to be considered a"real sport" let alone increase TV ratings.

On the other hand , I need to consider who I am talking with. Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Gee Mr Wizard, I did not see Alissa win the GPF on Live TV? What planet are you from where you saw it Live on TV? :think: :sheesh:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...s-Up-From-Last-Year-(From-Sports-Media-Watch)

NBC Skating Ratings Up From Last Year (From Sports Media Watch)

R.D. said:
More precisely, ratings for the GPF are up (1.1 vs. 0.9 last year). Interesting, considering you'd think the opposite would happen since last year was the Olympic season

sportsmediawatch said:
Sunday's telecast [of the ISU Grand Prix Final] was the #2 top non-football sporting event of the weekend on broadcast, surpassing college basketball on CBS and golf on NBC. Only the Pokerstars.net Million Dollar Challenge on FOX, which had a lead-in from NFL action, did better (1.5, 2.263 mil).

janetfan

Match Penalty

Being up 1.1 over graveyard ratings must please you after what CoP has done to the sport. I remember better days, most likely before you ever knew about skating.

Rising above the garden slug ratings we have seen in recent years is not what normal thinking folks would crow about.

Then again, this is ISU we are talking about :rolleye:

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Being up 1.1 over graveyard ratinsgs must please you after what CoP has done to the sport. I remember better days, most likely before you ever knew about skating.

Really? College basketball & golf = graveyard ratings? I have nothing more to add.