Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware'

Custom Title
    I don't think Ryan was intentionally lying either. His reworked SP footwork was more about not doing it with his back to the judges the entire time, I thought (what he said in the interview with Browning).

As for Reynolds.... well, honestly, if he actually ends up with the highest base value (two quads in the short, three/four in the long), I'll be very surprised. Impressed, but surprised. If there was a coach/student relationship I could sever, it'd be his with Joanne McLeod, so I have some baggage.

Custom Title
    "Chan fans paranoia" is a direct insult to Chan fans so yes naturally feathers are ruffled as someone as intelligent as Mathman must have expected. Saying no sarcasms exist in a post that says
    Chan fan paranoia seems to have magnified this harmless hope into a boogieman that can be exorcised only by shining the purifying light of CoP numbers on it.
    is further insult on our intelligence. You may claim our intellegence is nonexistent but that would be as credible as climing that you never use sarcasm.

What do you call seeing paranoia where one does not exist, Mathman? Paranoia about Chan losing to a generally assumed non-contender is plainly ludacris and a baseless assignment of a mental pathology to a specifically called out group of people - "Chan fans". So now derision for Chan is extended to his fans and self defence is futher claimed as proof of paranoia. What do you call such behaviour?

Some of us have to stand up to such affronts so don't expect direct insults to fellow board members to be tolerated until put-downs and falsely attributed characters become accepted premises for futher assaults and contempt.

Stick to the subject, like analysing a skater's programs and competitiveness within the current scoring system, and stop personal attacks on skaters and their fans, your fellow forum members.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    By far my favorite line from yesterday day was:

"this harmless hope than can be exorcised only by shining the purifying light of CoP numbers on it."

Brilliantly expressed but apparently it ruffled a few feathers and has more than one poster "'crying wolf."

I am reminded of this line from "Hamlet"

"Methinks he doth protest too much"

When one sees sarcasm where none is intended perhaps the word "paranoid" comes to mind.

The use of "Chan fan paranoia" also seemed reasonable enough as we have not seen numerous posts from fans of Dai, Kozuka, Joubert, etc repeatedly using CoP voodoo to knock Bradley's chances or the hopes of his fans.

A nice apology was offered by not accepted as sincere
    I see no "Chan fan paranoia" in this thread.

All I read were reasonable analysis and personal opinions. No one can use "CoP voodoo to knock Bradley's chances or the hopes of his fans" except the international judges at the games Bradley is in, who are, I assume at least, not in this thread, if they are sometimes visiting this forum. You are giving too much power to the Chan fans, Hernando. You constantly reminds me of another poster who was very active in this forum.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-08-2011 at 02:12 PM.

I admire the passion and think "Chan Fan Euphoria" is great.

I still hold my breath everytime he jumps same as I do for Alissa and used to do when Sasha was competing.

I question the views on Bradley's PCS before he even skates.
    I wonder why the CoP gives Joubert such good PCS when he is clean (or close to clean) and why they drop so much when he makes mistakes on his jumps.

Seems to me there is something odd about a scoring system that fluctuates so much on PCS for some skaters depending how they well they JUMP but not others.

I think I have a bad case of CoP paranoia.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-08-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Let me back up a little.

I never use sarcasm. Sarcasm means deliberately saying the opposite of what you really mean in order to make fun of someone. I have 20000 posts on this board. Zero of them feature sarcasm.

I never apologize insincerely. Indeed, I rarely apologize at all. I am sorry I called Chan fans paranoid.

This is what I think about Bradley. If he lands all of his big jumps he will score well. To me, that statement is an utterly innocuous, even banal, truism. It has little more content than, if Bradley skates well he will skate well.

Bradley's own statement is equally vacuous. He has a bunch of hard jumps planned, maybe harder than the other guys, and if he lands them he has hopes of making the podium.

I startles me when such harmless statements are met with what seems like a circling of the wagons, accompanied by the lobbing of sundry CoP grenades.

As for Patrick Chan, it startles me greatly when people see sinister double meanings when skating fans praise him. If someone says, I think Patrick will win 2011 worlds big time and will continue to be a favorite though Sochi -- well, that person thinks that Patrick will win 2011 worlds big time and will continue to be a favorite through Sochi. Yet Imaginary Pogue says, that's an insult to Patrick. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    ETA: If one sees sarcasm where none is there (which I did, Mathman), I guess I'd suggest you didn't make the point you were hoping to make.
    Isn't there fault to be had on both sides when there is a misunderstanding?

He may well be deceived; many who thought their new spin was level 4 have had a big surprise in international scoring. And many whose spin was level 4 in theory couldn't perform that spin when it counted. However, I have no reason to believe Ryan was intentionally lying when he listed his base score.
    Exactly. He may very well have these thoughts because of how he was scored at nationals and then fixing little things the way he reportedly has makes him think it'll be that much better. Then again being National Champion could give him a sense of "now I need to look like one" and he's taking it completely seriously and we'll see some smoother skating. Who knows.

Dai will repeat and be World Champion again. I base my opinion on COP Voodoo and/or Paranoia and/or Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Dai will repeat and be World Champion again. I base my opinion on COP Voodoo and/or Paranoia and/or Sarcasm.
    you're starting to sound like KW (where is she, anyway?)

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    You forgot "and/or politics" although I include that under "CoP voodoo."

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Let Ryan aim high.

"People don't fail because they aim too high and miss, but because they aim too low and hit"

I do not want Ryan aiming for the top ten so next year's guys can get two/three spots. I want him to aim to win so he can be in the top ten at least!

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Let Ryan aim high.

"People don't fail because they aim too high and miss, but because they aim too low and hit"

I do not want Ryan aiming for the top ten so next year's guys can get two/three spots. I want him to aim to win so he can be in the top ten at least!
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Isn't there fault to be had on both sides when there is a misunderstanding?
    Well, it was my fault for calling people paranoid. That was wrong.

As for misunderstanding, I think all you can do is say what you mean and hope for the best.

I love sarcasm. It's what the sports reporters use (not entirely) in print journalism. Of course, it makes me angry when they put down the NY Mets, but so what? Let it be. They'll come a day when they'll regret it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Bradley's own statement is equally vacuous. He has a bunch of hard jumps planned, maybe harder than the other guys, and if he lands them he has hopes of making the podium.

I startles me when such harmless statements are met with what seems like a circling of the wagons, accompanied by the lobbing of sundry CoP grenades.

As for Patrick Chan, it startles me greatly when people see sinister double meanings when skating fans praise him. If someone says, I think Patrick will win 2011 worlds big time and will continue to be a favorite though Sochi -- well, that person thinks that Patrick will win 2011 worlds big time and will continue to be a favorite through Sochi. Yet Imaginary Pogue says, that's an insult to Patrick. (?)
    1. Generally, stating "of course he's gonna win he's a judge's pet, he scores well no matter what he does, he can fall six times and win, why didn't he fall six times to win instead of skating clean" posts are insulting, imo. They're snide and it's disingenuous to state that they're somehow complementary. Personally, I love this men's field

3. Tonichelle, perhaps that's the case. I'm not sure I agree that's the case here, but... RIP Horse.

I question the views on Bradley's PCS before he even skates.
    I wonder why the CoP gives Joubert such good PCS when he is clean (or close to clean) and why they drop so much when he makes mistakes on his jumps.
    This season, Joubert's completed two long programs and three short programs internationally. His PCS were

CHN SP: 37.01
    TEB SP: 36.11
    EC SP: 36.54

CHN LP: 72.50
    EC LP: 73.54

Not much fluctuation, but varying degrees of jump success.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Let Ryan aim high.

indeed, very well said. You have to skate to win. If you don't, there is no way you ever win. That's what Ryan did at Nationals adding the 3 axel/ 3 toe combo later in the program, pulling every last point out even if he thought he had lost the gold. He still skated to win.

As I skated myself I try to do what I think it takes to win. Maybe I know I won't win that particular event, but if I stick to plan, I leave open the possibility.

Nothing wrong with setting high goals. It is a must in every part of life. You have to aim for a 4.0 GPA to get a 3.8. You have to ask for a $10,000 in order to get a $6,000.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast