Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware'

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    What do you think a squeaky clean Bradley would score?.

Plus, will his mocking program really go over well in Russia?

I think the Russian crowd will appreciate Ryan, particularly if he skates well.
    I am not so sure how they will react to a certain skater who has publicly disrespected Plushenko, a skating icon and hero in Russia.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-09-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    I think the Russian crowd will appreciate Ryan, particularly if he skates well.
    I am not so sure how they will react to a certain bigmouthed skater who has publicly disrespected Plushenko, a skating icon and hero in Russia.
    I think the Russians would be thrilled by a Patrick Chan victory. Chan's got a good chance at the title this year, perhaps even more so than Takahashi, if you go by the judges' esteem of him in recent competitions.

I agree and hope the guy who skates the best wins.

But no reason to insult the intelligence of the Russian fans or accuse Russians of having no sense of humor. That seems a provincial attitude at best and much worse if I were to be totally honest.

On the other hand the the disrespect Chan showed to Plushy and could not back up last season is not imagined but very real.

Do you think Russians suffer from memory loss?

Custom Title
    Even Plushenko has said recently that it's time now for him to learn from some other skaters.

A Russian fan of Patrick who had her picture taken with Patrick in Beijing, said she only liked Patrick and Lambiel but not Plush. She also said Tarasova loved Patrick. Maybe the media created Olympic brouhaha is over and real skating fans appreciate good skating and Russian fans particularly appreciate quad jumps.

I agree and hope the guy who skates the best wins.

But no reason to insult the intelligence of the Russian fans or accuse Russians of having no sense of humor. That seems a provincial attitude at best and much worse if I were to be totally honest.

On the other hand the the disrespect Chan showed to Plushy and could not back up last season is not imagined but very real.

Do you think Russians suffer from memory loss?
    The "LOL" emoticon was intended to indicate a sarcastic tone. In all seriouness I'm not sure how the Russians would take it, or how they really feel about Patrick Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    The "LOL" emoticon was intended to indicate a sarcastic tone. In all seriouness I'm not sure how the Russians would take it, or how they really feel about Patrick Chan.
    I think if Patrick skates well they will really like him. He is a great skater. But not so sure if there won't be a few fans in the arena that will not be with him.

I also have this image of Plushy sitting by the boards and giving Patrick the stare.

As far as I recall Evan is the only skater in many years that was not intimidated by Plushy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Yes Mathman you can quote yourself verbatim to prove your utter sincerity and you might be but I will give you explanations why it was perceived otherwise. Basically your zealous praise and estimation of Chan's scoring were 1) uncharacteristic of yourself, especially when such praise came with and after the direct derision of his fans. You don't normally express admiration for Chan and you don't exalt your real idol in the same manner; and 2) uncharacteristic of Chan fans on this board and more akin to his detractors.
    That was exactly how I felt about Mathman's post. But if he said he meant what he said with no sarcasm, I'd take his word for it and move on.

There are many skaters that I don't care about but I hope every one would skate as best as they could so that their fans will have something to cheer about; but as a fan of Chan, I wish him the best of luck.

Custom Title
    I think if Patrick skates well they will really like him. He is a great skater. But not so sure if there won't be a few fans in the arena that will not be with him.
    There was also this rumour that the Chinese fans were prepared to boo him and put up derogatory banner at the GPF but they changed their opinion of him after having met him in person. Of course it is possible that some Russian fans are as unforgiving as the Chan detractors on the message boards, but I do believe there are fans who can appreciate talent when they see one, it's not as if Plushenko was the only talented skater in the world.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    And when someone does not say that, you should not pretend that he did.

You should not nurse in your mind the fiction that you heard those words when someone says nothing of the kind, but rather says in the most straighforward way possible that he thinks Chan is far ahead of the field and is the man to beat at Worlds.
    Lets be clear. I don't mean that you said the things I referred to. There are people here who did. That is the context within which I'm debating.

----

Back to my first comment in this thread: Bradley should aim for gold - so should everyone competing. And it seems he's doing the requisite work in order to improve everything, from the levels of the quality of the jumps, to go along with his pretty remarkable showmanship and audience rapport. Given how many comebacks we've had this season (Carolina Kostner, Alissa Czisny, Shawn Sawyer, Konstantin Menshov, Sarah Meier, Ryan Bradley already; Tomas Verner winning his first GP gold ever, Joubert winning the EC LP after a disappointing opening half to the season), it's almost unfair to hope for anything less than the best for him - he seems like a terrific guy and is definitely a worthy face for American figure skating.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 04-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    How do you come up with these numbers? Bradley's international LP PB is a total of 145.97 (75.17 TES + 70.80 PCS) whereas his Nationals is 151.51 total (78.64 TES + 73.34 PCS). Your estimate of his best will put his total over 160. I constructed an Extremely Good Case Scenario for him on Shawn Sawyer thread that gave him another extra 5 points for well executed quads while keeping his PCS. You are allowing the possibility of his Worlds PCS to be higher than at Nationals while adding another 10 TES points. WOW.
    Bradley's LP personal best at Nationals is higher than 151. Look at his 2010 performance.

I say he will score in the high 80's (at least) for technical merit if he skates perfectly because that's what the numbers say. There is no arguing against it. The base value for his planned program in terms of technical merit is 85-something. We must assume some +GOE as well for a best-case scenario and, assuming VERY stingy +GOE marks, that puts him at at least he high 80's. If the marks aren't stingy then he could get into the 90's on the technical mark for a best case scenario.

As for the PCS, he will be in the final flight if he skates his SP perfectly, he's the American champion, and he has 2 Quads and 2 Triple Axels in his LP. IF Ryan does the very best he can, the PCS will certainly be at least 75-ish. Nobody has landed 2 Quads and 2 Triple Axels cleanly in a LP since 2004 (AFAIK...although Joubert did do 3 Quads + a Triple Axel at 2006 CoR). There's no way he won't get a decent PCS score out of respect for that accomplishment, even though his basics/transitions are lacking and he doesn't have reputation/momentum on his side. He does have other charms to his performances, it's not like he is just one of the Chinese jumping beans.

Can he do it? Who knows. But I'm looking at a best-case scenario here and I very much disapprove of the way people are saying he has "no chance". Ryan skated very well in the LP at 2010 Nationals, landing 2 clean Quads, and if he goes even further than that at Worlds with the Triple Axels (and does his best in the SP as well), he certainly COULD be on the podium.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 04-08-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Fans the world over, all appreciate a well skated program with impeccable technique. It's not the medal; it's the Sport that counts.

Custom Title
    My personal wish is that Chan and Takahashi fight it out for the gold, and I tend to root a bit more for Takahashi, because I love his work so much. But I do hope that Bradley makes it all the way up to the best he's capable of, though I'm not as emotionally involved with his efforts as I am with Alissa's. If Ryan Bradley does really well, I'll be happy, but if Czisny does really well, I'll be totally thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    My personal wish is that Chan and Takahashi fight it out for the gold, and I tend to root a bit more for Takahashi, because I love his work so much. But I do hope that Bradley makes it all the way up to the best he's capable of, though I'm not as emotionally involved with his efforts as I am with Alissa's. If Ryan Bradley does really well, I'll be happy, but if Czisny does really well, I'll be totally thrilled.
    And my wish is that Oda, Kozuka, Joubert, Werner, Bradley and the young Americans and Brezina, etc make their mark.

My deepest wish is that a splatting Chan does NOT win unless the others are splatting just as badly.

ETA: Not even sure which Russian guy is skating, but I certainly hope he has a great skate. Is it Dmitriev? I don't know him so well, but his Papa is a skating God in my mind
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Custom Title
    I am not so sure how they will react to a certain skater who has publicly disrespected Plushenko, a skating icon and hero in Russia.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1L4...eature=related

Wanna take a guess where this was? I hear a lot of clapping during the performance and cheering.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1L4...eature=related

Wanna take a guess where this was? I hear a lot of clapping during the performance and cheering.
    Gee Wally, duh, I can't guess where that is (and I didn't have to even open the link ).

It's OK if you are supporting the "human zamboni", but hope you can accept other fans might be for someone else.

Maybe some of us even appreciate a clean skate and not some of the slop the CoP is throwing at the diminishing base of US skating fans.

Good job, keep it up and soon no one will be watching and you strange birds from ISU can declare a speed skater as the world champion. :sheesh:
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-09-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast